What are your thoughts on the San Antonio Texas area?

Rabbi

4 hours ago, Gun Shark said:

Last time I was there the Spurs won the championship and we extended our trip by a few days. What I remember of it, I really enjoyed it.

The Spurs are definitely an obsession in that town.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, PNWguy said:

When I worked for USAA, our corporate headquarters were there, but I've never been.  My son road tripped there with some buddies a few years ago to visit a friend in the Air Force.  He had a good time but said it was muggy and surprisingly green.

I love the outdoors and the mountains and have little use for urban areas, so I judge an area based on the climate and topography.  Most people judge an area based on housing, crime, jobs, cultural influences, entertainment sources, etc.  San Antonio may be a great little city based on those standards; I have no idea.

San Antonio just seems like the urban equivalent of the Hyundai Genesis sedan; seems solid with lots of great features at an attractive price point, but not quite the same as the major players in it's class such as Seattle, Denver, or San Diego.

Green is an unusual description of San Antonio.  It is nearly a desert.   Scrub brush and rocky soil. 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, jmohme said:

The Spurs are definitely an obsession in that town.

Yep. The Spurs are the lords of San Antonio.  San Antonio breathes all things Spurs. 

It is going to be interesting to see what that looks like going forward as the Spurs go into a non contention rebuilding phase.  

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Patrice said:

Hhmmm....Heavily Hispanic, heavily progressive-Democrat, heavily cartel.

Metaphorically speaking, San Antonio & Austin have been characterized by politicos as a couple of blueberries in a bowl full of strawberries.

While San Antonio, like most large cities, is liberal, the San Antonio Metro is somewhat red.   It also has to be noted that Hispanic Liberal, on average, is not the same thing as white or black liberal. Hispanics tend to have intact families, work, and have some conservative faith based values.   

As for cartels.  Not really.  There is a legitimate presence but “heavily cartel” is not the case.  As a street cop in the area, I think I have a damned good view of that situation.