What are your thoughts on the San Antonio Texas area?

Rabbi

• Administrators

Just looking for people thoughts on the San Antonio area, it does not matter if you have been there or not.   Whatever you feel/heard/experienced about the area. 

Only been there a few times and only for a short time.

I really have no opinion beyond that it seems like a nice place to live, friendly people.

And, it's Texas.

I mainly replied so that you don't have to suffer the embarrassment of starting a thread that gets no love.

Do not construe this as sucking up to authority.

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

When I worked for USAA, our corporate headquarters were there, but I've never been.  My son road tripped there with some buddies a few years ago to visit a friend in the Air Force.  He had a good time but said it was muggy and surprisingly green.

I love the outdoors and the mountains and have little use for urban areas, so I judge an area based on the climate and topography.  Most people judge an area based on housing, crime, jobs, cultural influences, entertainment sources, etc.  San Antonio may be a great little city based on those standards; I have no idea.

San Antonio just seems like the urban equivalent of the Hyundai Genesis sedan; seems solid with lots of great features at an attractive price point, but not quite the same as the major players in it's class such as Seattle, Denver, or San Diego.

We live in Austin.  My wife has been here her entire life, as have our two girls.  I am from New Orleans and am incredibly homesick, but... we're staying in Texas.  So, we are planning to move to San Antonio.  I am excited.  The weather is great, the people are friendly, the city is rich with history and culture.  And best of all, it's not Austin.  

• Like 2

Been there 3-4x on business. It's a very nice place. Friendly people. Sunny and warm. I have enjoyed all of my trips to Texas.

During my last trip, I had a hard time finding food that I like, but I assume that's probably a fluke.

Edited by Brad

Granted that I was there way back in 1978, but I loved the city and have felt since then if I were to live in a city, it would be san Antonio. The river walk, the food, the clubs, I thought it was a beautiful city.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Patrice said:

Hhmmm....Heavily Hispanic, heavily progressive-Democrat, heavily cartel.

Heavily Hispanic, is that a bad thing? I lived there as a child and for a short time as an adult and loved it (My favorite city in Texas). As for the population it is diverse; however there is a decent make-up of retired military, active military, college students and a fair number of tourists around the year. There is a lot to do, decent colleges, great medical and the city is fairly well zoned (In Houston you can have a small group of houses beside a battery plant). Yes, the local politics and politicians suck, but you're a very short drive to a dozen small cities around San Antonio that would see more eye to eye with us (San Antonio is pretty good about staying ahead of their highway and public transit needs, so commuting is fairly painless).

Edited by XSIV4S

• Administrators

And no one that lives there calls it San Antone. That’s a good way to get your ass kicked. :greensupergrin:

I lived in SA for several years. It is an amazing place... Except for the occasional dead monkey beside the road. That is a little creepy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

And no one that lives there calls it San Antone. That’s a good way to get your ass kicked. :greensupergrin:

I lived in SA for several years. It is an amazing place... Except for the occasional dead monkey beside the road. That is a little creepy. 

I forgot about those. They are not well adapted to live beside a highway.

7 hours ago, Rabbi said:

Just looking for people thoughts on the San Antonio area, it does not matter if you have been there or not.   Whatever you feel/heard/experienced about the area. 

Last time I was there the Spurs won the championship and we extended our trip by a few days. What I remember of it, I really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eric said:

Charley Pride is 80 Eric. Don't ya think he oughta be grandfathered in rather than beat up? ?

1 hour ago, XSIV4S said:

Heavily Hispanic, is that a bad thing? I lived there as a child and for a short time as an adult and loved it (My favorite city in Texas). As for the population it is diverse; however there is a decent make-up of retired military, active military, college students and a fair number of tourists around the year. There is a lot to do, decent colleges, great medical and the city is fairly well zoned (In Houston you can have a small group of houses beside a battery plant). Yes, the local politics and politicians suck, but you're a very short drive to a dozen small cities around San Antonio that would see more eye to eye with us (San Antonio is pretty good about staying ahead of their highway and public transit needs, so commuting is fairly painless).

Doesn't seem to be working out too well for Mexico...

Vacationed there once, about 15 years ago. Pretty cool city I thought. I love Tex Mex food. Alamo was fascinating. River walk is cool. Drove out to the Hill Country which everyone suggested. Was halfway through it before I realized I was in it. Traffic to Austin was heavy.

6 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

Doesn't seem to be working out too well for Mexico...

Most of the country is dealing with a first generation, non-english speaking, illegal immigrant problem. That is not the case here in Texas. Yes, we have are share, but the vast majority have been here for multiple generations, put down roots, raised families, become good neighbors and most importantly, acclimated. Some of the finest people I have ever met.

9 hours ago, Rabbi said:

Rabbi, I thought you lived around there?  

Too big for me/not on the ocean or in the mountains.

19 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

Or Venezuela...  Or California...  Or Brazil...

Vart, you ought to call a Brazilian "hispanic," and see how that goes.  ?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, G26S239 said:

Charley Pride is 80 Eric. Don't ya think he oughta be grandfathered in rather than beat up? ?

I said that it was a good way to get YOUR ass kicked, not his.:greensupergrin:

Two of my shops were located in San Antonio, so I spent quite a bit of time there.

Overall, I liked the town, for both work and recreation, although I thought that the River Walk was considerably over rated, but was not a bad place to visit when not packed with people.

Back to work. SA is one of those towns where if you need a part or specific service to get a piece of equipment going, You would probably be able to find it. Quite a good town for industry.

I also liked that I could ride my motorcycle to work on a Saturday, leave at noon, and be riding twisty scenic roads in the Hill Country in just minutes!

Edited by jmohme

We visit SAT about every other year, mostly to take the kids to the parks and the Alamo, and the big massive cinnamon roll. family-friendly, nice low key feel. Don't do too much on the riverwalk, kinda pricey for us, but nice just in case, never did the boat thing.

https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedbringme/videos/restaurant-vs-homemade-giant-cinnamon/2076200159299289/

13 minutes ago, G23c said:

We visit SAT about every other year, mostly to take the kids to the parks and the Alamo, and the big massive cinnamon roll. family-friendly, nice low key feel. Don't do too much on the riverwalk, kinda pricey for us, but nice just in case, never did the boat thing.

https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedbringme/videos/restaurant-vs-homemade-giant-cinnamon/2076200159299289/

I did the boat thing as a teenager. Me and my brother had rented a paddle boat and were just about done. I was taking the one foot step back onto the concrete when one of those multi passenger boats hit the back of ours and my one foot step became a three foot step. I walked right off into air, followed closely by water.

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Rabbi, I thought you lived around there?  

Too big for me/not on the ocean or in the mountains.

Vart, you ought to call a Brazilian "hispanic," and see how that goes.  ?

I do. I was just curious. Kind of a personal branding study.