Chili’s Grill & Bar Data Compromise

Eric

• Administrators

http://brinker.com/mediaroom/partials/newsdetail.html?news_id=135394

What Happened? On May 11, 2018, we learned that some of our Guests’ payment card information was compromised at certain Chili’s restaurants as the result of a data incident. Currently, we believe the data incident was limited to between March – April 2018; however, we continue to assess the scope of the incident. We deeply value our relationships with our Guests and sincerely apologize to those who may have been affected.

We immediately activated our response plan upon learning of this incident. We are working with third-party forensic experts to conduct an investigation to determine the details of what happened. Below is information on how you can protect yourself and your information.

We are working diligently to address this issue and our priority will continue to be doing what is right for our Guests. We are committed to sharing additional information on this ongoing investigation with our Guests as we learn more.

What Information Was Involved? The investigation into this incident is ongoing; however, based on the details currently uncovered, we believe that malware was used to gather payment card information including credit or debit card numbers and cardholder names, and potentially expiration dates and CVV codes from our payment-related systems for in-restaurant purchases at certain Chili’s restaurants. Currently, we believe the data incident was limited to between March – April 2018; however, we continue to assess the scope of the incident.

Chili’s does not collect social security numbers, full date of birth, or federal or state identification numbers from Guests. Therefore, this personal information was not compromised...

More info is available at the link above. 

23 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

"...But please keep using the on-table gaming/payment boxes.  We'll point them out to you every time!  They make less work for us, and they make you feel cool."

I prefer those table tablets to some pimple faced teenager walking out of my sight with my card for a couple minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger1079 said:

I prefer those table tablets to some pimple faced teenager walking out of my sight with my card for a couple minutes.

I guess you're right.  We should be making it as easy as possible for him to swap-out/download a whole day's worth of info.

1 hour ago, Al Czervik said:

Cool, I'm not involved.  

I hate those "kiosk" gizmos.  They are always greasy/nasty looking.  I should invent some touchscreen compatible finger rubbers for them.

Agreed. I hate touching those slimy germ covered things. Great way to catch the flu....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, misterfox said:

Why do they even store this information?

You come

You eat

You pay

Why are credit card transaction details kept?

No reason to store credit card info.

I take all major credit cards in my business. Once a transaction is completed, that card info is gone from my end. The only info retained about the customer is name, address, email, and phone number.

I do retain a purchase history that will state type of payment, but the details are not there, nor do I ever want them to be.

My guess regarding the Chili's incident is that the CC info was intercepted as it was input, much like the way thieves are doing the same at self serve gas pumps.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Geko45 said:

Does this mean they know how many crispy cheddar bites and southwestern egg rolls I've eaten in the last month?

And how many you swiped from the neighboring tables. They have a file on you, man.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Roger1079 said:

Hear, hear.

If that's the protocol at an establishment, the budding card swipers/TOR sellers can tote  Federal reserve notes back to their lair.

Problem is, will it take them three hours to figure out the change?

I got nothing to worry about. I can buy a frozen TV dinner for 1/5 the cost at the grocery.  

I don’t know how Chili’s is still in business.  The one in my area was awful. Bad service, sleazy crowd, dirty, worn out furniture, and mediocre food. It closed a few years ago. 

• Like 1