Anyone use CLP for all 3 applications?

fortyofforty

Anyone use one multifunctional product for cleaning, lubricating, and preserving their firearms?  Break Free CLP seems a bit too thick, and I never get all of it out of the nooks and crannies when I've used it.  I use three products, or, at least, two, a bit more specialized for their own application.  I have no problem using BF CLP for lubricating actions, as it is fairly thick and stays in place, or for protecting firearms after cleaning, before storage.  BF created a product (LP) for just those two applications, but I haven't tried it yet.

41o-XrKuvaL.jpgProduct_FA_BreakFree_LP_Bottle_LP-4_4oz.

I haven't tried other CLP products that I can remember.  And I just learned Break Free has a product just for long term storage, called Break Free CO.

The LP is excellent. It’s very thick, doesn’t cook off quickly, and doesn’t run or evaporate quickly. 

Its great for ARs and the only liquid oil I’ll use on alloy frame rails.  I prefer grease but LP works well. 

The CLP is great for a quick cleaning in between real cleanings, but I don’t rely on it as my sole cleaner. I prefer an actual solvent like Hoppes or Shooters Choice atleast a couple of times a year. 

I find CLP and Ballistol to be about equal in cleaning ability. CLP gets a slight nod in the lube department. Ballistol is a little thin, and cooks off pretty quickly. 

I don’t particularly enjoy cleaning guns these days. I need a lube that keeps a gun going in between cleanings for a long time. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 1

I use a combination of Hoppes and CLP. I haven't had any issues with my cleaning regimen as far as wear and tear on my firearms. Living in the dry desert helps me from the standpoint that I have no rust issues. The heat is the main problem and CLP being thicker, seems to hold up well under these conditions.

I did a real long time ago but have been using other products. Now I have plenty of Slip 2000, FP10, Mill-Comm, Pro Shot One Step and good old fashioned Hoppe's because for a while I was trying all the new stuff coming out but now I'm satisfied with what I have.

I used CLP for years since that was all we used in the military and I had a quart of it that lasted me a couple of decades.  Finally ran out a few years ago and got into casting my own bullets and shooting lead, so I have a couple varieties of bore cleaner for lead, some Rem oil for light cleaning and lubing, and I recently bought another little can of CLP that I have been using.

Going to change the oil in my SUV using Mobil 1 soon, so will save a little bit of that to try out.

I use the original Slip 2000 Gun Lube (which is marketed as an all-in-one product) as a CLP most of the time.  Most guns don't need much lube to run, especially the newer striker-fired polymer ones.  For those that do like to run wet, Slip 2000 works fine for them too.  For a few of my guns, especially those with steel slides riding on full-length alloy frames (i.e. Berettas and Sigs) or 1911s, I use a little grease on the rails.  As far as cleaning goes, they seem to clean up easier after using Slip 2000 for a while. It doesn't take much effort. I have no need for solvent most of the time unless I pick up a used gun that needs a deep cleaning. Every once in a while, I'll break out the Slip 2000 725 Cleaner or Hoppe's #9 for a bore that needs some extra attention.  My guns are stored in a climate controlled house in a safe with a dehumidifier.  I don't have any old collectibles to worry about.  I have some expensive guns, but they're all for shooting so they don't sit forever in a safe.  Before I started using Slip 2000, I pretty much did the same thing with Break-Free CLP or Ballistol (before my wife banned it from the house due to the smell). I've yet to have a gun quit running, show excessive wear or rust.  A CLP type product works fine for my needs 90% of the time.

Edited by bobandmikako