Name a defunct car brand you would like to see come back.

Rabbi

1 hour ago, F14Scott said:

MG Midget

It would compete with the Miata and piss off the libs with its un-PC name.691aac90cd9bf4185473739cce94abe8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They'd need to house break it this time around, though.  My Miata never peed on the garage floor...  (And it might be a challenge now to source the Lucas 'off-dim-flicker' three position headlight switch...)

:599c64b322d5b_tongueout: 

-Pat (who would love to have a nice MG-TC, TD or TF, quirks and all)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cubdriver said:

Though I'm not 100% sold on the styling, it is a cool vehicle.  The thing is, as you suggest, it DEFINITELY should have been possible to get one with three pedals.  Slushbox only, as it was?  No way, wouldn't even consider it.

-Pat

Saw a posting on Facebook last week - someone shoehorned a Hellcat engine into one. 

20 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I liked the Plymouth Prowler except that it had an underpowered engine. they should have put a turbocharged small block 360 in it with some bigger rear tires and the 5 speed tranny from the Viper.

car plymouth-prowler-1300.jpg

The Prowler was never about power, just semi retro styling. 

I thought it was quite unique and would not have been opposed to owning one regardless of what it had under the hood.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jmohme said:

The Prowler was never about power, just semi retro styling. 

I thought it was quite unique and would not have been opposed to owning one regardless of what it had under the hood.

+1. That whole car was engineered with a particular motor in mind. You double or triple the horsepower, what are you going to shake apart. More importantly, can the brakes and suspension handle it. I remember the old Datsun "Z" cars from the 70's that were a little light on the engineering. As the aged sometimes the torque from someone romping on the motor would cause a door to open (Not fun in a turn).

3 minutes ago, XSIV4S said:

+1. That whole car was engineered with a particular motor in mind. You double or triple the horsepower, what are you going to shake apart. More importantly, can the brakes and suspension handle it. I remember the old Datsun "Z" cars from the 70's that were a little light on the engineering. As the aged sometimes the torque from someone romping on the motor would cause a door to open (Not fun in a turn).

One of my customers had 280Z that was so rusted out that all that was left of the rear bumper was the thin chrome plating.

When he bought a new car, he asked me if I wanted the old Z for $75. I figured I could sell the engine for a lot more than that, so I took him up on his offer. I couldn't resist playing with it for a while though, so i registered and insured it for quite a bit more than I paid for the car. I could only put under a half a tank of gas in it because the tank was also rusted out!

It was fun for about three weeks and then the left lower control arm rusted off of the frame.

I found a buyer for the engine and told him it was all or nothing, so he handed over 10 times what I paid for it and he loaded the rust bucket on a flatbed and went on his way.

I would love to find one that is still in one piece. Very fun car!

9 minutes ago, jmohme said:

One of my customers had 280Z that was so rusted out that all that was left of the rear bumper was the thin chrome plating.

When he bought a new car, he asked me if I wanted the old Z for $75. I figured I could sell the engine for a lot more than that, so I took him up on his offer. I couldn't resist playing with it for a while though, so i registered and insured it for quite a bit more than I paid for the car. I could only put under a half a tank of gas in it because the tank was also rusted out!

It was fun for about three weeks and then the left lower control arm rusted off of the frame.

I found a buyer for the engine and told him it was all or nothing, so he handed over 10 times what I paid for it and he loaded the rust bucket on a flatbed and went on his way.

They are fun. We had a right hand Fair Lady Z for awhile. Jim Simpson bought it for on of his Ferrari 250 kit car builds so that it would have right hand drive (The donor cars for those kits were 260z & 280Z). I think everything he builds anymore are based on Miatas.

https://www.simpsondesign.net/

Edited by XSIV4S

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, jmohme said:

The first year that GM raced the Camaro in SCCA Trans-Am racing, they acid-dipped the bodies. The sheet metal was so thin that someone good grab the sheet metal and crush it with their hands. They were paper-thin. The race officials smelled a rat when the Camaro finished a lap ahead of the pack and weighed the car. It was 200 pounds under the minimum weight.

1967-Chevrolet-Camaro-race-car-102.jpg.6aee3536f5778ed5e5cacf1cfb0ea4ea.jpg

1967-Chevrolet-Camaro-race-car-103.jpg.a4cd68754753567b9353391f07bf2751.jpg

• Administrators
On 7/9/2018 at 4:30 PM, Borg warner said:

I liked the Plymouth Prowler except that it had an underpowered engine. they should have put a turbocharged small block 360 in it with some bigger rear tires and the 5 speed tranny from the Viper.

car plymouth-prowler-1300.jpg

All Viper transmissions were 6 speeds....many made by your user name.  (Borg Warner T 56). Tremec also made transmissions for the Viper.