Name a defunct car brand you would like to see come back.

Rabbi

8 hours ago, tous said:

Studebaker.

They made some beautiful, innovative automobiles back when it was all about fins and chrome.

And, the Avanti.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but it was a true American performance car in the early 1960s.

Studebaker for me too. I used to love them when I was younger and they were available. 

3 hours ago, KWalrad said:

My first thought was Pontiac, just for the Trans Am / Firebird and the Fiero.

I'd also like to see an updated El Camino and Ranchero. They're just like the mullet - business up front and party in the back.

Trans Am / Firebird yes. Fiero, hell no!!!

• Like 2

SAAB... owned a few convertibles and one sedan. Built like tanks built in roll cage. They tested against hitting a moose. When they died Top Gear demonstrated a SAAB verses a BMW dropped them from about 10 feet upside down, the BMW crushed to around the door sill, the SAAB about an inch. Every company seems to have a 2 liter turbo engine, SAAB decades ago.

2 minutes ago, Moeman said:

SAAB... owned a few convertibles and one sedan. Built like tanks built in roll cage. They tested against hitting a moose. When they died Top Gear demonstrated a SAAB verses a BMW dropped them from about 10 feet upside down, the BMW crushed to around the door sill, the SAAB about an inch. Every company seems to have a 2 liter turbo engine, SAAB decades ago.

They did a lot of cool things for parts replacement to, on every model I ever worked on the upper and lower ball joint on both sides were all the same part number, instead of being 2-4 different parts.

3 minutes ago, Presguy said:

Saab. I know they didn't have any terribly glamorous models (though the Sonnet was interesting looking and some of the later ones were pretty quick). I think with the resurgence we're having now in quirky brands (Alfa, Fiat, etc), they might have a shot with the right leadership.

They need to position themselves alongside Volkswagen, only with a "more distinctive" image, and not try to compete up the chain against BMW and the like.

Plus they were one of the first mainstream brands to push for smaller turbocharged engines (which are now so common), and had a focus on safety long before many other brands did.

Beat me to it, even had the 2.8 turbo convertible 2007 or 08 I think. They put their middle finger up to GM using stronger thicker sheet metal, their own navigation etc. the car had a windscreen that could hold over 5 times the weight of the car and rear pop up bars behind the back seat in case of a roll over. Quiet for a convertible. Great audio too.

3 minutes ago, Presguy said:

Saab. I know they didn't have any terribly glamorous models (though the Sonnet was interesting looking and some of the later ones were pretty quick). I think with the resurgence we're having now in quirky brands (Alfa, Fiat, etc), they might have a shot with the right leadership.

They need to position themselves alongside Volkswagen, only with a "more distinctive" image, and not try to compete up the chain against BMW and the like.

Plus they were one of the first mainstream brands to push for smaller turbocharged engines (which are now so common), and had a focus on safety long before many other brands did.

A customer at the shop I worked at in the 70s had a Saab. I dont recall the model, but it was a sporty two seater with a V-4 and a blast to drive. 

He brought it in once to have us replace the passenger side mirror he had knockrd off. He claimed that the missing mirror caused the car to pull left at highway speeds. I figured he had just done some front end damage, but after installing the new mirror. The car again tracked straight.

I guess being so small, light, and aerodynamic, small changes like a missing mirrior had effects.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DUBSY said:

I wish they'd bring back an affordable F150

my 76 had 350,000 miles and I had 2 people wanting to buy it.

my 78 was a contractors truck that was dented everywhere.straight six that was temperamental .

My wife would stand in front of it with a hammer and tell it, if you stop on me I'll beat you to death, before she drove it any where. 

Edited by lethal tupperware

6 hours ago, DUBSY said:

I wish they'd bring back an affordable F150

Those days ended when auto makers discovered that transforming a good pickup into a soft riding luxury car with a big open trunk would be a hit for wannabe urban cowboys.

My old 1969 F100 would do the work of a 3/4 ton and did so for years. 

My wife bought a brand new F150 in 96 and totally wore it out pulling a two horse trailer. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jmohme said:

Those days ended when auto makers discovered that transforming a good pickup into a soft riding luxury car with a big open trunk would be a hit for wannabe urban cowboys.

My old 1969 F100 would do the work of a 3/4 ton and did so for years. 

My wife bought a brand new F150 in 96 and totally wore it out pulling a two horse trailer. 

Yup, aluminum is for beer cans

I would say Pontiac, but I don't think Pontiac themselves could've done it this good:

This is my dream car. I would be happy to get groceries every weekend if this was my ride :)

Edited by vram74

12 hours ago, Rabbi said:

What dead brand would you like to see come back....and what would they do? 

My most likely choice to actually come back is Pontiac.  I just want Firebirds to return. 

However, I really wish someone would make a go with Duesenberg.  I would want them to be what they were, the maker of the worlds most luxurious ultra high performance cars.  Someone like what Bugatti is doing.   An earth shattering GT and an earth shattering large sedan. 

Duesenberg%208.jpg

Rambler. I'd kill for a brand new 1965 Rambler American station wagon with the 232 cubic inch six. tom.

3 hours ago, XSIV4S said:

Yup, aluminum is for beer cans

They werent aluminum in 96.

That said, if I only needed a pickup for occasional light hauling and as a primary family car, I would have a new aluminum body F150. Quite a few of my customers have them, and contrary to what GM would have you believe, the F150 is not made of beer cans or aluminum foil.

since I need towing capacity, its a 1 ton for me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jmohme said:

They werent aluminum in 96.

That said, if I only needed a pickup for occasional light hauling and as a primary family car, I would have a new aluminum body F150. Quite a few of my customers have them, and contrary to what GM would have you believe, the F150 is not made of beer cans or aluminum foil.

since I need towing capacity, its a 1 ton for me.

If I went down to the dealership I wouldn't be getting a 1996? For what it's worth F150-F350 were all made of aluminum starting in 2017 (See Car & Driver article below). I've worked around cars all my life and as a kid around a great many antiques. They have built some of them out of aluminum for decades. The thing is when you looked at a decades old aluminum car the aluminum was as thick as the Corvette's fiberglass. To get the strength of steel it takes more aluminum and to avoid heavy/sharp item punctures well...Your guess is as good as mine.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/aluminum-body-2017-ford-f-350-super-duty-adds-at-least-425-to-base-price