H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic anyone?

Valmet

Anybody on here own/shoot an H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic? I like the looks of them and have never done much shooting with the 45-70 and they seem economical enough to get into pretty easily. 

Edited by Valmet

Never owned or shot one, but H&R made good rifles. I do have two 45/70's though, an 1895 GBL, and a CVA Hunter. I love the round. You can go from mild to wild with it. It's suitable for anything that walks this continent.

• Like 1

I have a H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic Rifle that I bought used but in like-new condition. I put a ladder sight on it. recoil is something of an issue with the crescent butt plate even with mild loads so I wear a P.A.S.T strap-on recoil pad when I shoot it.

These rifles were introduced in 1995 in 45-70 as the Buffalos classic and in 38-55 as the target model and were very nice rifles. It pays to find a nice used one made before "The Freedom Group" took over the company along with Marlin and Remington. I had dealings with H&R after 2012 with their barrel exchanger program and the Barrels they made were so bad they eventually had to shut down the program. And dealing with Remlin customer service was an absolute nightmare. they jerked me around for 3 months.

• Like 1