New shooters want safeties...

PNWguy

I have had half a dozen potential new gun owners ask me for advice in picking out their first handgun for self defense the last year or so.

All of them were under 30 with two being women and the rest guys.

All of them wanted a safety and a semi-auto.

One bought a Taurus G2c (that was a couple weeks ago after they handled mine), a couple bought Ruger Security 9s, one bought a S&W M&P40c, another a Ruger LC9s, and not sure of the last guy.

The point is that we can argue back and forth over the need for safeties but when talking with a new shooter who insists on having one, don't denigrate their concerns and please don't start chest-thumping saying only newbs want safeties.

And please, please don't be like the resident Glocktard at my work who, when the new shooter brought in his new G2c to show off, said "Nice paperweight, should have bought a Glock"...  The kid is 22yrs old, a former Obama supporter, gets paid on the side to coach video gamers (who knew??), and has been lured to the conservative side by me and other co-workers patiently explaining to him the errors of being a leftist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Confidence comes with experience.  Experience is learning the you are the most significant safety the firearm has.

They should go with what makes them comfortable and feeling safe.  Carrying is more important than not carrying under any conditions.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I agree PNW. Several people I know who have recently gotten permits all wanted thumb safeties. I don't think any of them would have purchased a gun w/o a safety, or be willing to carry one w/o. It is important to them, and also none of my business.  If it's the only gun you have there shouldn't be a problem; that's all they know so there's no mixing up to occur. The safety ALWAYS has to be flipped off for them. Plus, it gives me the opportunity to talk them into buying another gun down the road w/o a thumb safety, once they get a little more comfortable/confident with the idea.

I stopped carrying my Combat Commander because the rest of my weapons don't have safeties and I don't want to take the chance of forgetting to thumb it off in a stressed situation. I will go back to it exclusively in the winter though!

Edited by rayzer007

I own Glocks. I love Glocks. I carry IWB. I will not carry a Glock IWB with a round in the chamber. That’s just me. If you want to, thats good my me. 

I carry an HKP30S 40 with the safety off and a round in the chamber. I like having that 11-12 lb DA pull and I ride the hammer down with my thumb when re-holstering.

• Like 3

I don’t like safeties now, but when I started out I chose a Beretta 92 as my first handgun. 

After I got comfortable handling it I just ignored the manual safety and used it as a decocker only.  

I am still preferential to the DA/SA guns. That’s what was popular when I was starting out, and it’s what I’m used to now. 

• Like 1

When I first was introduced to hand guns and became an enthusiast, I likely wouldn't have considered owning a semi auto pistol without a safety.

Took a while to really understand the safety in itself doesn't make the gun safe by any means and is no substitute for establishing safe habits.

If manual safeties is what it takes to get new people into guns, which helps support all of our rights and supports the gun industry, I am 100% for it. Hell, if gun makers have to start producing polished stainless guns with pink grips and unicorns engraved on the slide than I am for that too. Many of us who prefer no manual safeties started out shooting revolvers. So it was intuitive. New shooters of today have far more options and have been hearing for years how guns magically go off and shoot people all the time. So that lever might just make 'em feel better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janice6 said:

Confidence comes with experience.  Experience is learning the you are the most significant safety the firearm has.

They should go with what makes them comfortable and feeling safe.  Carrying is more important than not carrying under any conditions.

This 100%^^^^^ - well said

• Like 2

Getting people comfortable with firearms is the important first step and if it is safety that gives them the initial comfort, so be it. Continue to educate to bring them to a full understanding without insulting them. 

• Like 3

The one thing that I think is important to get across to a new gun owners is that a "Safety" does not make a gun safe. And that all guns are inherently dangerous and need to be treated accordingly. A 1911 has a safety but requires training to be able to use it properly so that it's operation becomes instinctive to the user. Same thing with any gun. They all require training because all guns are inherently dangerous.

• Like 3

LGS flyer says Shield9 $324. LC9S $299. So I go to check it out, price is on guns with safety only non safety guns more money. I ask why and he says we’re overstocked on those guns, nobody want guns with safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I thought you typed Selfies. 

Thats something I’m sick of. Take a new guy shooting and everything goes fine until they decide to snap a selfie and muzzle control goes straight to hell. And they don’t see a problem because it’s just a selfie. 

• Like 1

I agree with the OP. A lot of new people I encountered also wanted a safety. In fact, many times they’re surprised to learn that not all semi auto pistols come with a safety. 

A good option in this case are guns that come with safeties, which aren’t required for safe carry. The Shield is a good example, and very popular in my area. 

On 7/7/2018 at 2:24 PM, PNWguy said:

The point is that we can argue back and forth over the need for safeties but when talking with a new shooter who insists on having one, don't denigrate their concerns and please don't start chest-thumping saying only newbs want safeties.

And please, please don't be like the resident Glocktard at my work who, when the new shooter brought in his new G2c to show off, said "Nice paperweight, should have bought a Glock"...  The kid is 22yrs old, a former Obama supporter, gets paid on the side to coach video gamers (who knew??), and has been lured to the conservative side by me and other co-workers patiently explaining to him the errors of being a leftist.

+1. These people are the future. Let's all be good ambassadors!

I haven't come across too many new shooters in the past couple of years but the ones I have really talked to all seemed to already like the idea of Glocks, XDs, M&Ps without safeties because it's one less to thing to think about if you need to use it in a sticky situation. That said, while I'm not a fan of them I can see why many would want them for that extra piece of mind. Seeing videos of a P320 fire when dropped certainly doesn't help things either.

I've also never understood why anybody would shame another for their choice of firearm unless they buy a Hi Point (I keed I keed!!) but even those seem to be reliable albeit hideous. I always encourage to shoot as much and as often as you can afford so you get to know your system intimately.

All gun...and I do mean all guns, have at least two safeties.  The first is in between to users ears.  Us your brain.  The second is between the users thumb and "**** you" (middle) finger.   First...use you brain and keep your finger off until ready to fire.  Second...use your brain and keep your finger off of the trigger until ready to fire.  Safety isn't, a feature built into a weapon.  It occurs in the mind of the operator.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Boogieman said:

All gun...and I do mean all guns, have at least two safeties.  The first is in between to users ears.  Us your brain.  The second is between the users thumb and "**** you" (middle) finger.   First...use you brain and keep your finger off until ready to fire.  Second...use your brain and keep your finger off of the trigger until ready to fire.  Safety isn't, a feature built into a weapon.  It occurs in the mind of the operator.  

Yep, as long as you don’t pull the trigger, NO ^_^ gun will fire  

• Like 2