Do we really want to return to caveman days?

XSIV4S

for thousands of years the strongest, meanest and most willing to pick up a rock and crush your skull ran things. Fast forward to the 21st century, the running joke I have heard repeatedly on TV and movies was that this is Texas, everybody has a gun. The joke always seems to be centered on Texas or Florida. A couple days ago a woman stopped a man from stealing her vehicle with her kids inside by shooting him in the face. Then I just read the article below and saw the video of a very large guy beating on a much smaller woman and going after a second one until she stopped him in his tracks by pulling a gun on him.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-punches-restaurant-worker-video-002333948.html

• Administrators

If you strip away all the pretty layers of our society, at its core is a very basic and immutable precept: Might Makes Right. All authority is derived from a threat of force.

When a violent encounter between people, or between nations for that matter, is unequal, firepower can be the equalizer. I’m glad those women were armed. I wish more were. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

“God Created Men and Sam Colt Made Them Equal!”

And my elderly mother has carried the same Clark Lightweight Commander for decades.  And she's a former nationally ranked Bullseye competitor.

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 9

It seems we live in a less and less a polite society- largely because we need more polite people armed. Scumbags like the two mentioned in the OP don't pick hard targets; they pick what they perceive to be relatively unlikely to fight back. Glad the two above were both wrong.

As the left fights to undermine the divine right to self defense, I sense more of our fellow citizens are coming to the realization that they need to be their own first responders. 

• Like 1

Since the beginning of man, the strongest have ruled the less strong.  Ruling over others isn't for their benefit, it's only for the tyrant's benefit.

Long ago there was no real way to assert your right to be treated as well as everybody else.  Now technology had provided a means to make the weakest among us just as strong as the strongest.  When the cry goes up for equality, this should be one of the greatest demands, that each man and woman is as important as any other.

The only people that fight against this ability to defend yourself in the face of tyrannical behavior, are those who's purpose is to subjugate you and take what rightfully belongs to you to benefit themselves.

• Like 4

Once we legislate and shame (yes, that's in the book) the instinct right out of humans,  then we can become a loving Eloi society.

Not long ago, if you kilt someone (he really needed it!),  or found a dead guy, the first thing you did is was to see if his boots fit you.

I was born 100 years too late.

8 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Once we legislate and shame (yes, that's in the book) the instinct right out of humans,  then we can become a loving Eloi society.

Not long ago, if you kilt someone (he really needed it!),  or found a dead guy, the first thing you did is was to see if his boots fit you.

What if he had stank foot?

2 minutes ago, Sigobsessed said:

What if he had stank foot?

Depends on how wore out your boots were!

In Dances With Wolves,  you can bet that the pile of arms and legs outside of the surgeons tent didn't have many boots left in it in the morning.

I guess you have to pull that foot out and give them a swish in the crik, but then they're as good as new.

• Like 1

civilization is just a thin facade.

i`d like to know more about the back story of why he thought he`d hit they cook and what happened to him after.

i can`t wait to see his 8th grade school photo accompanied by his family`s explanation of how he is "getting his life together"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keith Swalley said:

Human nature is predatory.  Genetically.  Societal behavior is artificial.  Many of us abide with most of the rules.  Some don't.

Yes, and I walk down the street pretty confidently knowing the biggest of the big can be taken down with a Hornady Tap head wound.

• Like 1

I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey last night, and as soon as the chimps learned they could smash the other clan with bone-clubs,  they had ALL the water and ate meat all the time!

The other clan probably domesticated dogs and came back later, but they didn't show that part.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

It is bad luck to wear a dead man’s boots. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I have a lot of bullets. Lots.

I think that's the best thing you could do.

Yup, if you have 30 days of food and ammo and few others do. A month later the population will have thinned out quite a bit.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, willie-pete said:

Every Communist must grasp the truth; "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."

Mao Tse Tung 

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~'Murica!

Edited by Huaco Kid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Before Y2K someone asked me if I had stocked up enough ammo. I told him that I had enough ammo to get more. He gave me a strange look and an uneasy smile. I was serious as hell though. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Before Y2K someone asked me if I had stocked up enough ammo. I told him that I had enough ammo to get more. He gave me a strange look and an uneasy smile. I was serious as hell though. 

I had lots back then and even more now! Plenty of food and water as well, call me crazy but I’m prepared!

• Like 2