fortyofforty

How often do you clean your firearms?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Cleaning Your Firearms

• Every time I shoot
    • Once in a while, when I remember or get around to it
    • It depends on the firearm
    • Cleaning? What's that?

I spray CLP before I shot and run CLP a Boresnake after I shoot. Every once in a while add grease to the rails. Hoppes on  a Boresnake everyonce in a while. On a range day when using cheap, dirty ammo always end with clean expensive ammo and it blows most of the crap off. Last trip to range, three pistols, one revolver and a shotgun was used. Hundreds of rounds. If I went full anal I’d spend most of a day cleaning. Nope. Not one issue and will head back next week. Only gun that pisses me off is an older Mimi 14 Ruger which I simply don’t shoot anymore. When I go black rifle I do CLP wipe and grease on the lugs. 

• 3 weeks later...

My wife, middle son, and I all shoot competitions frequently. That’s four guns per person times three. Our competition guns are built to run dirty, so they all get a wipe down with CLP and maybe a little lube after each competition. Every 2-5k rounds, depending on the gun, they get a more detailed cleaning.

My carry guns will get field stripped, cleaned, and lubed every range trip.

Safe queens get pulled every month or so, examined and wiped down as needed.

If the gun gets shot, it gets cleaned. Always!

If a gun gets handled, it gets wiped down with an oily cloth. Always!

I got a lot of money tied up in my boating accident guns. It would literally drive me batshit crazy to send one to Davy Jones's locker without cleaning it first. 

On 9/5/2018 at 10:43 PM, Jason D said:

If the gun gets shot, it gets cleaned. Always!

If a gun gets handled, it gets wiped down with an oily cloth. Always!

I got a lot of money tied up in my boating accident guns. It would literally drive me batshit crazy to send one to Davy Jones's locker without cleaning it first. 

You'd probably take SCUBA lessons, dive down, retrieve it, clean it, then throw it back.

• Haha 1

Obviously, it's somewhat dependent on the gun, but overall, I'm in the "every once in a while camp."  For EDC guns, probably every 250-300 rounds.  I'm pretty confident that I'm reassembling them right, but I do like knowing that they've run right since the last time I took them apart.