Grilling corn on the cob?

PNWguy

Never had corn on the cob prepared any other way than husked and boiled in a big pot of water.  My dad served it last night at the cabin and just threw the whole ear with the husk on it and everything on the barbecue grille next to the burgers and brats.  I didn't try it since I wasn't in the mood for corn.  Everyone said it was delicious.

Tonight, stopped by the store and bought a big ol' T-Bone steak and couple of ears of corn.  Put the ears of corn on the grille with the steak.  When the steak was done, took everything off, removed the husks, buttered and salted the corn, and was amazed at how good it turned out!  Perfectly cooked, tender, and juicy.  I always seem to under cook it or over cook it when I try boiling it.  This turned out perfect.

Anybody else grille their corn on the cob?

I do the same thing. It’s the only way I eat corn anymore. The only thing I do extra is Soak the ears of corn in cold water in the sink for a few minutes before I throw them on the grill. Gives you a few minutes of extra cook time before the husks burn.

• Like 2

I have grilled corn on my Traeger many times husk with silk and all.     If it's a good piece of corn to begin with it will be extra delicious.  

I've tried grilling with removing the silk and rewrapping the husk and it's just too much of a PITA.  

To me corn is a lot like Steak.   You can buy it from the most high end store all the way down to walmart.   It's all luck of the draw.   I've had winners and losers from all over.  

We've been grilling corn, here for some years.

Husk on.  No soak.  Fairly hot Weber and cover.

Pull the husk back - remove silk.  The husk makes a great handle.

Butter and salt!  YUM!

We do this outside as the husk is 'crispy' and it makes a mess.

We now do the microwaved whole ear method, and cut off the stem about an inch up and slide out the ear from within the leaves and then all the silks just slide out with the leaves.  Incredibly easy.  And as Chef John says, this technique works on grill roasted corn just as well.

Then butter and salt and pepper.  I do not see any flavor difference than when done on a grill, and with either cooking method this eliminates the silks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PNWguy said:

Never had corn on the cob prepared any other way than husked and boiled in a big pot of water.  My dad served it last night at the cabin and just threw the whole ear with the husk on it and everything on the barbecue grille next to the burgers and brats.  I didn't try it since I wasn't in the mood for corn.  Everyone said it was delicious.

Tonight, stopped by the store and bought a big ol' T-Bone steak and couple of ears of corn.  Put the ears of corn on the grille with the steak.  When the steak was done, took everything off, removed the husks, buttered and salted the corn, and was amazed at how good it turned out!  Perfectly cooked, tender, and juicy.  I always seem to under cook it or over cook it when I try boiling it.  This turned out perfect.

Anybody else grille their corn on the cob?

Butter it up and 10 minutes in an air fryer, best I ever had.

1 hour ago, Collim1 said:

I do the same thing. It’s the only way I eat corn anymore. The only thing I do extra is Soak the ears of corn in cold water in the sink for a few minutes before I throw them on the grill. Gives you a few minutes of extra cook time before the husks burn.

Yup, do it the same way. 

If you have to put naked ears of corn on a stove top to cook, there is only one way and it isn't with boiling water unless you can keep it short in the boil.  Lots of people over-do boiling it.  That just results in school cafeteria chewy tough stuff that is terrible.

Quickly STEAMing in a basket in a lidded pot and only steam for 4-5 minutes.  Wonderful!

But the Chef John method I showed above is far better than dealing with shucking and removing silks.

I’ve been eating free grilled in the husk corn for the last few days. I work outdoors and a restaurant up the street has a “corn days” promotion where they have girls walking up and down the street giving it away. It’s really hot out and the sooner they give it away the sooner they can return to the AC. I’m happy to oblige them.

Edit:

I got corn for lunch again today.

B01785DE-5A10-40F4-9130-480CDD83CF41.jpeg

Edited by Appalachained
  • Thanks 1

We throw anything we can on the grill. most things work well. I'm cooking on a weberQ which seems to cook more like an oven once you get it heated up, so many oven cooking principals apply. We don't thaw meat either. We just cook on a very low temperature. Even deer steaks always come out awesome!

10 hours ago, nitesite said:

We now do the microwaved whole ear method, and cut off the stem about an inch up and slide out the ear from within the leaves and then all the silks just slide out with the leaves.  Incredibly easy.  And as Chef John says, this technique works on grill roasted corn just as well.

Then butter and salt and pepper.  I do not see any flavor difference than when done on a grill, and with either cooking method this eliminates the silks!

Interesting!  Something I have to keep in mind. 

We boil or grill corn. 

One thing to try when grilling corn is brand new, clean, leather work gloves.  The leather palm type with cloth back, usually pretty inexpensive.  A friend of mine who grills corn at BBQs would always buy a new pair of leather work gloves to handle the corn, especially after it was cooked.  He would take the corn off the grill and shuck it right away for everyone.  The leather is great at removing the silk (if you don't use the method in the video).  Seems odd at first, but the gloves are clean and work great.   And afterwards for cleanup, you have a nice pair of work gloves!

Edited by Tvov
  • Thanks 1

My parents raised a lot of sweet corn and also sold it many years.  During corn season we had it on the cob for both lunch and supper - a dozen ears fixed for both meals.  We went through a lot of butter.   We also put a lot of corn up by freezing it - both in ear and kernel form.  It was a real treat to have corn on the cob during the winter months.  My Dad's seed of choice was Seneca Chief.

• Like 1