Battery Powered String Trimmers

DrB

Am looking for one.  I have a good gas powered brush cutter but am looking for something easy and quick to use around the house.  Have been looking at the Stihl FSA 56 and the FSA 65.  Not sure that the extra cost of the 65 is worth it as the changes in battery technology are changing quickly.  

Anyone have one of these?  Or what do you have if you have one.

Dave..

I've got an EGO lithium ion unit, 56V and 2 amp-hour, lasts about 20-30 minutes of steady cutting, charges in less than half an hour while I'm having a beer.  I also have an EGO backpack leaf blower with a similar 56V, 5 amp-hour battery that uses the same charger, takes about 45 minutes to charge from dead.  I can use either battery on either rig but obviously the 2 a-h battery doesn't last very long on the blower and the  5 a-h battery makes the string trimmer a bit heavy but lasts longer than I would at weed whacking.  I love both units.

Edited by OGW
  • Like 2

I've had a Black & Decker 24v for several years and the unit itself is excellent. Downside is the batteries/charging system. I believe the batteries are Ni-cad. I've had one charger die and one battery inexplicably stop functioning (bought 3 for it to do the entire house/yard at once). Feeds well and has enough power to get through most of the usual weeds and semi-thick stuff. Easily about 15-20 minutes of full power trimming before the battery starts petering out.

At one point I bought a Ryobi 18v Lithium with alternate extension cord ability. Total junk. When I managed to get it to feed string it wouldn't cut anything much thicker than common lawn grass, no matter on battery or 115v a/c extension cord. That's a shame because I thought the extension cord ability would make a difference...nope. Good thread as I'm interested in what is working well for others.

I had tired of maintaining the gas-powered string trimmers we have and went with the Ryobi. It has plenty of power and sufficient battery power for my needs. The battery charges quickly enough for my needs. The ability to use different attachments was a big selling point fir me. We live on two acres with plenty of landscaping features to work around. Between the string trimmer attachment and the brush cutter blade I'm pleased with the Ryobi.

Ryobi string trimmer

ryobi-cordless-string-trimmers-ry40220-64_1000.jpg

• Like 1

I bought the Milwaukee M18 string trimmer because I already have a ton of Milwaukee power tools (same batteries). $299 for the kit which included the string trimmer, 9.0 ah battery, and rapid charger. I also got to to choose a free leaf blower or hedge trimmer with the kit. I chose the blower.

The string trimmer is absolutely awesome, way more power than I ever imagined. The blower works good for smaller tasks like blowing off the driving and sidewalks.

• Like 1

I had a Kobalt brand from Lowes. Worked great but trimmer line was expensive. It was stolen from my shed. I have a gas one now and hate it. Supposedly the cobalt has been redesigned and will get a new one before the end of summer. I did have good luck with it and it has a great warranty!

the tech is not there yet , im old school  still use the gas shinny  ,  no battery powered trimmer can hold a candle to a gas trimmer.over 10 years one pull start

but im also taking to my fields  and places  there is no power and waiting for something to charge aint my thing . 

Edited by ASH
  • Like 1

for mid work , and less stress and heat and for 1/2 acre  it seems to be fine . but it is in a niche market  for surbanites . but it looks useful around the house . then i saw the price /  nada 

but here to the enjoyment . :rock:

21 hours ago, OGW said:
I've got an EGO lithium ion unit, 56V and 2 amp-hour, lasts about 20-30 minutes of steady cutting, charges in less than half an hour while I'm having a beer.  I also have an EGO backpack leaf blower with a similar 56V, 5 amp-hour battery that uses the same charger, takes about 45 minutes to charge from dead.  I can use either battery on either rig but obviously the 2 a-h battery doesn't last very long on the blower and the  5 a-h battery makes the string trimmer a bit heavy but lasts longer than I would at weed whacking.  I love both units.

I too have EGO for around the yard. Trimmer is much quieter than my gas trimmer and it has an easy spool refill feature (under power). The reduction in sound prevents a sleeping queen from turning into a dragon. :tbo:

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

Edited by TBO
  • Like 1

Not a fan of battery powered yard equipment. Bought a cheap ass Wal Mart 2-stroke trimmer for only $68. Wasn't expecting it to last, but its now in its 5th year. I only adjusted the carb out of its retarded EPA setting and it just works. Haven't done any maintenance, not even prepped or removed the gas over winter. By the way: you can buy commercial grade string that holds up much longer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-16-Curved-Shaft-String-Trimmer/

16 hours ago, Quercus said:

I bought the Milwaukee M18 string trimmer because I already have a ton of Milwaukee power tools (same batteries). $299 for the kit which included the string trimmer, 9.0 ah battery, and rapid charger. I also got to to choose a free leaf blower or hedge trimmer with the kit. I chose the blower.

The string trimmer is absolutely awesome, way more power than I ever imagined. The blower works good for smaller tasks like blowing off the driving and sidewalks.

I have a few of the Milwaukee Fuel M18 tools and I agree, they are awesome. I don’t have the string trimmer, but the hedge trimmers and blower are great. I see they have a chainsaw coming out. Interesting.

17 hours ago, OGW said:

Tsk, tsk. You shouldn’t be KBS-ing when using power tools. Those are for me to consume while watching you work. :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Coonan357 said:

I had tired of maintaining the gas-powered string trimmers we have and went with the Ryobi. It has plenty of power and sufficient battery power for my needs. The battery charges quickly enough for my needs. The ability to use different attachments was a big selling point fir me. We live on two acres with plenty of landscaping features to work around. Between the string trimmer attachment and the brush cutter blade I'm pleased with the Ryobi.

Ryobi string trimmer

Have the very same one, about 4 years now. Our front ditch is almost 300 feet long, and the area I trim is about 10 feet wide. It will do all that on one charge. Weeds and such, usually knee deep when I do it.

• Like 1

I prefer stihl myself. Got a stihl gas trimmer, 3 stihl saw, 2 stihl blowers. I also enjoy buying late night tv special products just to see if they do what they say they'll do. I bought a 40v worx ($149) trimmer and blower combo for my 8 and 10 year old to help me trim 5 yards in town. It works well for trimming yards that are maintain routinely. It does NOT work well for clearing, but I don't think it was designed to.

Pros:  comes with two batterys, very light weight, quiet, push button adjustable length, adjustable head angle (can go from 90 degress to 180), head easily rotate to be used for      edging (feature actually works well)

Cons:  only accepts light weight string, 5 hour charge time with provided charger, string spool only holds approximately 4 feet of line.

Overall I'm extremely impressed with how well it does for in-town trimming and especially edging.

I have a Black and Decker 20 V lithium.  It comes with the charger and two batteries.  I always keep one battery on charge.  IMO, the usefulness of the battery powered unit depends on the size of your lawn.  I have a moderate sized suburban lawn, and the B&D works fine.  I get about one yard complete and about 1/2 again before the battery needs charging.  This unit has 2 power settings, I only use the high setting.  One plus, its very easy to replace string.  I have had gas powered units before (cheap ones) that were a pain to replace string. 

Battery technology on all tools has come a long way in the past decade. 

Well Y'all convinced me. I have a circular saw that lasts for a very long time on it's Dewalt 20v Max battery, so I just bought a new Dewalt weed eater with no accessories for 129.00 (Since I already have batteries and a charger).

On 7/5/2018 at 11:25 AM, t4terrific said:

I got my 40V Ryobi rained on, just a little, and it’s wasted.

Done.

No go.

The battery is still good, but the motor got fried after a couple of minutes on the trailer in the rain.

Good to know.  I was looking at those.  Now think I'm back to Stihl. 

Dave.

22 hours ago, norton said:

I have a Black and Decker 20 V lithium.  It comes with the charger and two batteries.  I always keep one battery on charge.  IMO, the usefulness of the battery powered unit depends on the size of your lawn.  I have a moderate sized suburban lawn, and the B&D works fine.  I get about one yard complete and about 1/2 again before the battery needs charging.  This unit has 2 power settings, I only use the high setting.  One plus, its very easy to replace string.  I have had gas powered units before (cheap ones) that were a pain to replace string. 

Battery technology on all tools has come a long way in the past decade. 

I believe we have the same one, Grass Hog I think.

Going on 8 years now, though I think the batteries are finally giving up (came with 2 and we bought a third with charger off Amazon).

Looking at that Worxs GT, as I like the wheels that be seem to make sidewalk edging easy.

On 7/4/2018 at 3:01 PM, Coonan357 said:

Ryobi string trimmer

I use round-up or 42D, but the wife likes to trim around some of her plants instead. :whistling: 

I watched her this morning, pull on the cheapy gas burner we usually replace every couple years, told her to throw it in the trash and go buy a cordless. Remembered this thread and decided to try one of these. Hope it works out, she doesn't get along with a pull rope any better than I do; but she does make a pretty good sammich. 

After looking at everything I went with the Stihl.  Ordered the FSA 65 with AL 300 charger.  I admit I do like Stihl equipment and will pay the price.  Should be here middle of the week.  Thanks for all of the replies.  Gave me much to look at...

Dave...