Cowboy Action Shooting

Colin1230

I started Cowboy Action Shooting  a couple of years ago and have had a blast ever since.  No other competitive shooting sport has been this much fun.  I was very fortunate to have a few guns in the safe to sell and get into good equipment at the start.  I have been shooting in the 49'er category with smokeless 38 Special ammo.  My main match rifle is a Uberti 73 from Cody Conagher, pistols are either 72 Open Tops modified and slicked by me or SASS New Model Vaquero's smoothed and lightened by me. For main match shotgun I use either a CZ Hammer Coach or a Stoeger Coach Gun.  There is just so much to enjoy playing this game; the guns, the history, the costuming, the guns, the competition, the reloading and did I mention the guns.  I'm tellin ya, there is nothing that will put a smile on your face any faster that ripping off five rounds out of each pistol, ten rounds out of your rifle and four+ rounds from your double barrel shotgun in twenty seconds.  I am not even close to being the fastest shooter in our club but there is no one that has more fun!

So, lets hear it guys.  How many Cowboys do we have hanging around here?  Oh, and by the way, just call me Claude.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't participate but know a number of people who have fallen head over heals for cowboy shooting and some of them do the horse riding events too. Most all have found a new avenue to spend on hell of a lot of money on period clothing, firearms and ammo. All of them are having a ball doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been shooting SASS for over 7 years now. I use an Uberti ‘73 with a 5th gen Cowboys and Indians Short Stroke and 1.25 lb trigger built by Harlan Wolf, two Ruger SASS Vaqueros set up with half cock conversions, brass front sights 1.25 lb triggers and a bunch of other goodies built by Jimmy Spurs, and an Ithaca SKB 100 built by Fast Eddie.

Here’s a decent run I had Saturday. It was a 10-10-4+ Stage. Two pistols five rounds each, rifle 10 rounds, shotgun open and empty. (Summer dress code)

One of my training partners is building her own Cowboy Range. Supposed to open next month. She's really into it, as you can imagine.

I've attended one match. It was a lot of fun to watch. I don't need another hobby.

Edited by BamaBud
Spelling

3 hours ago, DUBSY said:

Awhile ago as I was channel surfing I clicked on RFDTV and these guys were doing quick draw competition. Shooting wax bullets no less. I tuned in late so I don't know if it was part of CAS or not. Pretty cool though.

There is no CAS organization.  The predominant organization for CAS is SASS, Single Action Shooting Society.  There is no fast draw component to that.  There is mounted shooting which utilizes wax bullets and there is NCOWs, which is a smaller organization with stricter apparel and gun rules.  Fast draw is a stand alone organization.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to see this thread take off.  Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

Just got a new main match rifle, a 38 spl Miroku/Winchester 66 short rifle.  Pretty sweet right out of the box.  All that I have done to it is reinforce the loading gate tab with JB Weld and adjust the hammer spring a little lighter.  While inside, it was apparent that the Japanese take much pride in their machine work.  I've got a little over 300 rounds through it so far and it make a great companion to my hammer gun and open tops.

Regards,

Claude

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.