Grips, Grips, and Grips - why Diversity is Good

Andyd

Which real gun and shooting enthusiast does not like to change grips around? May it be for better orthopedics or just for fun and personalisation. I have at least two grips for each revolver and like Herrets grips for their fit to the gun and how they also fit my hand and absorb recoil by distributing the forces. Nills are great grips and I am always on the look out for used bargain grips. Hogue wood grips are pretty and fit the gun well but the finger grooves are normally for a standard hand, convincing me that my hand is off, at least sizewise. Stags are pretty but without a grip adapter, they handle worse than the old service grips. Finally, S&W Fingergrooved Combat Grips. I am a big fan of K-frame FGC for SB revolvers.

SW Nills.jpg

SW10 Nills RB.jpg

SW M19nutcracker.jpg

SW64 Nills2.jpg

SW10 Hogues 2.jpg

SW625 Nills.jpg

SW19 stags.jpg

SW M19-P CR.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have a set of wood service stock for almost all my revolvers, but I have a pachmyar rubber grip for round and square butts.  I swap them as needed for shooting comfort at the range.  generally keeping the sleeker wood grips on for carry and aesthetics when not shooting at the range.  Of course I occasionally practice with the wood grips also. 

What I am in need of is a set of Square butt wood target grips.  

1 hour ago, Collim1 said:

I have a set of wood service stock for almost all my revolvers, but I have a pachmyar rubber grip for round and square butts.  I swap them as needed for shooting comfort at the range.  generally keeping the sleeker wood grips on for carry and aesthetics when not shooting at the range.  Of course I occasionally practice with the wood grips also. 

What I am in need of is a set of Square butt wood target grips.  

Altamont Grips makes the closest thing to genuine S&W factory target grips in both K an N frame sizes. And they even have the medallion. they sell for about the same price as what you'd pay for a set of factory grips and you can even get them in the "Coke Bottle" configuration which are extremely comfortable.

I bought a model 28 Highway patrolman a few years ago and got it for a good price because it had a set of Hogues on it which decreased the value of about 100 bucks. I couldn't stand to look at the gun with the rubber grips and immediately started looking for a set of the target grips even though they would not be original to the gun which came with the skinny service grips. as luck would have it  just a few days after I got the gun I found a set of N-frame square butt target grips at a local gun shop for only $35 bucks. The gun is a big 6 inch barreled N-frame and even the hottest loads in  357 magnum produce very little recoil in that size gun compared to a "Real" magnum like a 41 or a 44 and the grips are perfect for that gun.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/smith-and-wesson/k-square/

smiff k frameB.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently found some legit Tyler T grips on GB and got them in today.  

I like them. They correct the trigger reach issue the service stocks give me. 

They also keep the classic appearance 99% intact IMO.  It’s almost the best of both worlds.  

I am now looking for a SS Tyler grip for my model 66 so I can put the factory service stocks on it also.  I will still use the Pachmyar rubber grips for shooting magnums because I don’t think the Tyler grips will tame a hot load, but they will allow me to keep a vintage appearance while still making the gun enjoyable to shoot .38’s.  I rarely shoot anything other than .38’s anyway.

A560DDE1-FEDA-4036-B5E8-9578EBCEAF88.jpeg

Edited by Collim1

Wow.  Wooden grips.  Who'd have thought.

I put Pachamyrs on nearly all my guns that will take a grip change.   Those gorgeous wooden grips that came on my Match Champion tore the web of my hand up something awful.  :cry:It pained me to replace them. 

SA1911.jpg

matchChampionCropMed.jpg 

.................................................  ...........................................................................................................................................................

Of course, some guns are best left alone.

1911G29b.jpg