K Frame Love

Andyd

I love revolvers for range work! I own a few Colts, Rugers, and Korths - and S&W revolvers. The first revolver I bought was a S&W 14-2 that is a sweet shooter and has helped me to win a few competitions. Of course, I have N-frames but the K-frames are just so handy and the lower weight of the cylinder makes double action shooting so much more fast fun.

I have a 1952 vintage K-22, four M-19s left after giving one to one of my sons, a 2 1/2", 3" RS special with fixed sights, 4" and 6". I also got a few M10, 64s, and a 65 surplus guns. I particularly like the old M-65 and it has seen thousands of rounds over the years.

Who shares the love for the K-frame and which one is your favourite?

SW 19x3.jpg

SW10 Hogues 2.jpg

SW k-22.jpg

SW 14-2.jpg

S&W M19-3 RS.jpg

S&W 65.jpg

Edited by Andyd
  • Like 4

I have several, and it would be a tough choice to pick one - but it would probably be one of these two depending on my mood...

Model 17 6" 22LR - it has taught hundreds of people how to shoot!

S-W-17-Ahrends.jpg

The other is my personal pick as the best carry gun S&W ever made.  The Model 65 Lady Smith, 3" 357 Mag...

S-W-65-Ahrends.jpg

A Happy & Safe Independence Day to all,

Bob S.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, t4terrific said:

What is a 19-4?
L?

A gun with the fourth engineering changes.

-1 1959 Change to LH extractor rod thread -2 1961 Cylinder stop changed, hole in front of trigger guard eliminated -3 1967 Relocation of rear sight leaf screw -4 1977 Changed gas ring from yoke to cylinder 19 All of the above changes and -5 1982 Eliminate cylinder counterbore

@Ede,

I love the heavy barreled model 10s and their stainless versions. I gave some to my kids. The pencil barreled service guns were very cheap twenty years ago and I had quite a few of them -including the Victory models in .38 Special - but did not hang on to them. I traded them off mostly. The three 64s pictured below were purchased for $219 when Brinkmann sold their revolvers about three years ago, they looked rough but cleaned up good. Before and after.

3xSW64.jpg

SW64 cleaned.jpg

SW64 Nills1.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeaDub said:

It took me almost 30 years of owning firearms to finally try the K-frame. I found a 3" model 65-3 that was a police trade-in. It is now one of my favorites. Smith hit the mark with the K-frames.

M65_medium.thumb.JPG.6e3cba98886bf09641f8e1babbf9250c.JPG

I stumbled into the K-frames.

I learned to hit what I was shooting at on a department issued 681 L-frame.  Years later, I picked up a J-frame.

But, I always regretted not buying my issued 681 when the dept. dumped them for semi-autos.  When I saw an Model 65 for sale locally, I thought, "that's a lot like my old 681" and bought it.  Afterwards, I realized it was a K-frame.  I like it.

WP_20170929_20_36_57_Pro_(2).thumb.jpg.6c4bb64392234e007753f2aeec245c17.jpg

Edited by Maccabeus
  • Like 1

I have told this story before

About 1980 I was visiting with my BIL at his home.  We liked to show each other our new "toys".  He had just purchased a P&R model 19 4".  I picked it up and was very impressed with the way it felt in my hand.  I had a Browning Hi Power he was interested in, so we swapped.  He was a wheeler/dealer and later sold the Hi Power.  He told me several times he was embarrassed at how much more $ the Hi Power was worth then the 19.  I told him I didn't care, we both got what we wanted in the deal. 

Still Have it.  Took it to the range last week. 

4 minutes ago, 6actual said:

all M19's are K frame

Yes, and sorry, meant to quote t4terrific-

L-frames were introduced around 1980-81 as kind-of a beefed up K-frame for steady diets of .357 and hot .38+P loads. One characteristic is the full under-lug. 586s and 686s are L-frames. 

For the record, my favorite K-frame is the K22. I have a 1968 mfg 17-3 that my father gave me on my 17th bday in 1998. Finest .22 handguns ever mfg’d hands down. 

Edited by Valmet
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...