Random Posting

Eric

10 minutes ago, Eric said:

66844453_2366936793385606_8022585153253539840_n.jpg

The great potential for our future only lasted a short time.  Now on the anniversary of our Moon landings, the best we can say is, "Look what we could do 50 years ago!".

The measure of a country is in what they can do today!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

6f4e9ef12271e209.jpg

One of my son's early milestones on his quest to manhood, was when he learned how to "paw" through a 2 lb. Coffee can filled with nuts, bolts, screws, and safety razor blades, without hurting himself.  I couldn't be more proud.  Don't kid yourself, it's a learned skill.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My father not only had coffee cans full of miscellaneous fasteners, he had stacks of cigar boxes (the wooden ones) filled with resistors, capacitors, switches, fuses and tube sockets.

No failed device left the house until it was stripped of usable parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, tous said:

My father not only had coffee cans full of miscellaneous fasteners, he had stacks of cigar boxes (the wooden ones) filled with resistors, capacitors, switches, fuses and tube sockets.

No failed device left the house until it was stripped of usable parts.

Amazingly, my father had the same belief with cars.  We had starters, generators, and misc. stuff off the car, stacked around the foundation wall in the basement when it went to the junk yard.

What is so amazing about this is that my father never, ever, used a single item he was storing.  He didn't do any mechanical work that he could get someone else to do for him (Ta Dah!) and doing anything to a car was totally outside of his consideration.

Hell, I didn't even know you were supposed to change oil (No body told me about Oil filters) until I burned out my first engine on one of his cars in my Highschool days.

I was taught that when you told the attendant to fill the tank, you automatically said, "And check the oil".

I had to learn mechanics on my own after I bought my first house, with a garage.

• Like 2

Our fathers grew up during the Depression when anything was worth something; use it up, wear it out.

My father never used any of his salvaged parts, either, but he had a volume pot from a 1930s radio just in case he ever needed one.

Here's to our Dada.    :cheers:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tous said:

Our fathers grew up during the Depression when anything was worth something; use it up, wear it out.

My father never used any of his salvaged parts, either, but he had a volume pot from a 1930s radio just in case he ever needed one.

Here's to our Dada.    :cheers:

I strongly suspected that anyone that has gone through the depression and wwII rationing would view my father's accumulation of car parts, as a financial investment not intended for repair of his family car.

• Like 2

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic