Random Posting

Eric

•  
6 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Sliding tires into curbs subtracted from one’s score 

This is so true.  In my youth the city didn't salt or sand streets.  Some days the parental drivers simply abandoned the streets as too slippery, glazed.  That's when they became ours!  The first thing I learned to do was to slide into a 360 going down the street, yes, without hitting the curb.

Years later I was driving my 4x4 on an iced roadway and the vehicle coming at me went into a sliding 360.  all I could do was turn into a spin synchronized with theirs, so that my front end turned away as theirs rotated into me.  We didn't hit and I owe it all to my highschool days of learning to drive on ice.  Now, of course, I'm wiser and poorer at driving on ice so I defer to the young ones as my father did.

Oh, one thing I did remember from long ago, was when sliding and maybe not able to stop in time, I would lock the brakes shift into reverse and slowly apply gas.  The spinning tires in reverse actually stopped me from having two collisions.  It's still frightening to do though.  I remember the UPS driver looking at me through the open side door with his eyes and mouth wide open, as I barely stopped from joining him in the cab of his van.

• Like 1