Random Posting

Eric

On 4/18/2022 at 7:00 AM, pipedreams said:

778827fd60abfc3f.jpeg

Yep. Grilled English cheese and tomato was my favorite and I seem to remember they had chocolate malts with real malted milk.

When I lived in Southern California, the Valley Plaza mall was a shopping center in North Hollywood, California, one of the first in the San Fernando Valley, that opened in 1951. In the mid-1950s it claimed to be the largest shopping center on the West Coast of the United States and the third-largest in the country

The Woolworth's store and lunch counter remained unchanged  from the 50's 60's, 70's 80's until the mid- 90s when Woolworth's went out of business. It was like a time capsule! My family moved there in 1959 when I was in the sixth grade and my mom would go shopping at the sears store and we would eat lunch at Woolworth's. years later I was living In North Hollywood and  still used to go to the Woolworth's for lunch and I think they still had that same menu (But maybe with different prices in the 1990's) because I would always get grilled English cheese and tomato sandwich and fries and a chocolate malt.

I moved out of L.A. in 1998 not long after the North Hollywood bank of America shootout which happened across the street  from the Woolworth's which may have been closed at that time. The LAPD were barricaded behind their cars in the big parking lot across Laurel Canyon Blvd and that B of A was my bank and I was supposed to cash a check there that morning but was delayed and then the streets were closed off when the shooting started and I had to go to another branch.
  • Like 3