Random Posting

Eric

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

This makes me so sad. My sister in law is raising her kids in a protective bubble.

I got one of those $200 chinese mini-bikes from the auto parts store (gas engine) for the grandkids.  They actually started dancing when they saw it.

My daughter immediately said, "But what if they get hurt?!??"

I said, "IF?"

hilarity ensued.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I got one of those $200 chinese mini-bikes from the auto parts store (gas engine) for the grandkids.  They actually started dancing when they saw it.

My daughter immediately said, "But what if they get hurt?!??"

I said, "IF?"

hilarity ensued.

That’s great!

This is the same SIL who refuses to let me watch them because I taught them how to heat tortillas on a gas stove with bare fingers. 

My kids had a great childhood and have the scars to prove it. They became great adults. 

I’m worried that real life will kick my nephews in the teeth. Sweet kids but not prepared for reality. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My daughter caught me showing them how to hold marbles with the hotdog tongs,  over the gas burner,  and then dropping them in a pan of ice water, where they'll crackle all up or pop into shrapnel.  She disapproved, even after I said it was thermodynamic science.

Good thing she didn't catch us holding pennies over the burner and dropping them on the floor to make them splat.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

This makes me so sad. My sister in law is raising her kids in a protective bubble. I want to introduce her boys to old school photography and the darkroom. She insisted they don’t need cameras because they have smartphones. So I tried to get them to come photograph a cool sunset with me even if they just use the phones. She made a circular argument about they really don’t need to take pictures like that because if they want pictures of a sunset they can just look them up and download one. 

This teaches them that someone else will do/has done it for them.  It eliminates independent thinking, reasoning, creativity. Plus it prevents those pesky non-electronic social skills that can’t be tracked by .gov and dang near any ad or product .   Destruction of a nation one generation at a time.  

• Like 3