Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

Here is a 1953 Muntz Jet This car was manufactured by Earl Muntz from 1951 to 1953. It was Based on the Kurtis Kraft Sport sports car designed by race care builder  Frank Kurtis. Muntz made a deal with General Motors to buy 331 cubic inch Cadillac engines and turbo-hydro transmissions and the engines were modified and the cars with their aluminum bodies were the fastest production cars of the early 1950's To cut costs Muntz started using 337 cubic inch flathead Lincoln engines which were also modified with dual carbs and then went to the overhead valve Lincoln engines. Two cars were fitted with 331 cubic inch Chrysler engines. Fewer than 400 cars were built and they cost 6,000 dollars to build and sold for $5000 dollars. Mickey Rooney owned one and so did Lash La Rue the cowboy actor.  Earl Muntz invented the four track tape car stereo which was the predecessor to the 8-track. He lost money on the cars but made millions on other projects.

1953_Muntz_Jet_Roadster_0090_BH.jpg

1953 muntz jet_03.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cubdriver said:

Looks like some kind of Alfa Romeo based on what I can see of the emblem on the radiator.  It's breathtakingly beautiful, that's for sure!

-Pat

But it's got a dual overhead cam straight 8 which actually looks like two 4 cylinders butted together. It's not only beautiful, it's an engineering marvel and probably put out a lot of horsepower.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

Second though maybe I should of put these in Random since their not pretty yet.

Two 1970 Plymouth Superbirds

"Parked for over 30 years could be worth $500,000 The man who sold them was only the second owner, having picked them up in 1978. But he let their registrations expire in the mid-1980s and they’ve been parked ever since."

"Aside from getting resprays, both are nearly all original and have numbers-matching 440 cubic-inch V8s with four-barrel carburetors. One is equipped with a manual transmission, the other an automatic, and they have just 27,000 and 42,000 miles on their odometers."

1537457437873.jpg.24c1b7e5787cd7cb296d159517f195d7.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/09/20/two-1970-plymouth-superbirds-parked-for-over-30-years-could-be-worth-500000.html

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 2

On 9/10/2018 at 10:06 PM, tous said:

One has to wonder if, fifty years from now, people will admire contemporary automobiles.

To me, they all look like the same squished jelly bean and have for years.

On 9/11/2018 at 3:11 PM, janice6 said:

I remember us kids commenting in the 60's that the cars are all starting to look the same.  

Now, even more so.

On 9/11/2018 at 3:18 PM, tous said:

We kids in the 1950s and 1960s could tell an automobile's make and model at a glance, no?

Now, I can't tell the difference between a Lexus, Acura, BMW or Infiniti unless I can read the name plate.

Honestly, by the 70s most of the musclecars had the same basic shape.  It's probably worse now as aerodynamics, pedestrian safety and crash safety rule the day but this is not a new phenomenon.

I will say that computer-aided design may be causing part of this.  The computers allow for the engineers to get closer to the optimal combination of the different aspects (fuel efficiency, pedestrian safety, aerodynamics, hood clearance, etc) and that is probably a single design (at least for a given algorithm).  So it makes sense that cars are looking even more alike.

Car makers still have design studios that actually design the look of the car, but the engineers almost certainly modify the designs for performance.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 2