How often do you hit the range?

Glock19c

I am increasing my training tempo and trying to get to the range now at least once a week firing between 100-300 rounds per session with my Glock 19.  

How often do you visit the range and how many rounds do you fire?

Edited by Glock19c

It varies throughout the year but If I had to put an average on it lets say twice a month at 2-400 rounds each.  

I also shoot some Friday night trap once a month or so.  (I suck at it still)   Shoot local club matches as well. (steel)  

Also a long time reloader so there is some load development that goes on.  

To start I attend 4 annual firearms trainings, refreshers, night shoots, and qualifications which adds up to about 24 hours of range time and well over 1,000 rounds. I practice at least 1x a month with my duty handgun, duty long gun, primary off duty carry, and back up gun. Each session will run 4 hours or so and I will go through 400-500 rounds. I also get out at least 1-2x a month to shoot for fun, usually with something that has been sitting in the safe for far too long. Often with buddies, or the wife, or the kids. Hitting the range is also my go to boredom buster as well as my excuse when I don't want to go do something else.

1 to 3 times a week, depends on how I am feeling.

EDIT:

When I go I take 1 to 3 handguns and usually shoot 300 rounds or so. Like to make sure they work and I am still able to see and hit the target.

Edited by DWARREN123

58 minutes ago, mlk18 said:

To start I attend 4 annual firearms trainings, refreshers, night shoots, and qualifications which adds up to about 24 hours of range time and well over 1,000 rounds. I practice at least 1x a month with my duty handgun, duty long gun, primary off duty carry, and back up gun. Each session will run 4 hours or so and I will go through 400-500 rounds. I also get out at least 1-2x a month to shoot for fun, usually with something that has been sitting in the safe for far too long. Often with buddies, or the wife, or the kids. Hitting the range is also my go to boredom buster as well as my excuse when I don't want to go do something else.

Much like mlk18, I I do two primary sidearm classes a year, a concealed class, and a qual. That’s 32 hours and approximately 2k worth of ammo. I usually hit the range once a month on my own. 

Now a days, I will take 400 rounds with me to the range 5 or 6 times a year but no less than once every 3 months.  It doesn't seem like much but it I consider it to be reasonable maintenance.  Tinnitus really slowed down my training sessions.  I go less than I would like to and I am much more careful with my hearing than I used to be. 

• Like 1

Boy if you can make it to a range once a week and shoot six boxes of ammo you are way ahead of the average gun owner!

3 hours ago, Glock19c said:

I am increasing my training tempo and trying to get to the range now at least once a week firing between 100-300 rounds per session

For the last year with few exceptions I have shot every week.

I had a massive stash of ammo I had collected over the years, and wasn’t shooting as often for quite some time.

I shot most of the year without purchasing a single box of ammo, but the last few months I have been purchasing ammo and it stings how expensive it’s been to shoot weekly.

Funny how it doesn’t feel like spending money when you’re shooting ammo you bought 10+ years ago.

I’ve bought three cases of Federal Champion 9mm in the last three months. I’ve been getting it at 15-16 cents a round shipped with a coupon code from Brownells. Even at that price it’s starting to feel expensive.

I’ll probably back off a little after I go through the firearms instructor school in October.

Not enough. My local indoor range has basically no air filtration, and we ha way too much rain this year to be out on the outdoor ranges regularly. I do have better indoor ranges 20 miles away, but they don't allow reloaded ammo to be shot. So at this time: not even once a month.

Still searching for a bigger lot for my new home, and a proper backyard range. When I finally get to that point it will be at least twice a week.

Just now, crockett said:

Not enough. My local indoor range has basically no air filtration, and we ha way too much rain this year to be out on the outdoor ranges regularly. I do have better indoor ranges 20 miles away, but they don't allow reloaded ammo to be shot. So at this time: not even once a month.

Still searching for a bigger lot for my new home, and a proper backyard range. When I finally get to that point it will be at least twice a week.

Every range I have ever been in that doesn't allow reloaded ammo, allows Georgia Arms which is factory reloaded ammo. 

6 minutes ago, Gun Shark said:

Every range I have ever been in that doesn't allow reloaded ammo, allows Georgia Arms which is factory reloaded ammo. 

Now that is weird.

Granted, I could hide my handloads in retail factory boxes and simply lie, but when I setup my chronograph they know exactly what is going on.

They told me that their insurance policy doesn't cover reloads, but I think they are only interested in customers who also spend money on their ammo.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, crockett said:

Now that is weird.

Granted, I could hide my handloads in retail factory boxes and simply lie, but when I setup my chronograph they know exactly what is going on.

They told me that their insurance policy doesn't cover reloads, but I think they are only interested in customers who also spend money on their ammo.

It's relatively cheap and extremely high quality so the few people I asked about it said that they use it too. 

Well, I slipped in most of my range work when I had to work our range, anywhere from 2-4 times per month, and that was for 10-12+ hours per day/night. Sometimes more (if teaching a class was added to my regular duties).

When I wasn't working with some shooter(s) I was usually working in some trigger time for myself, either by myself or alongside other instructors. It still helps to have other experienced eyes looking for minor issues. ;)

I remember the round count often running between 200-400 rounds, but sometimes as low as a few magazine loads, or as high as 700+ rounds. Depended what I was wanting to work on or practice, or what the former head instructor might think I needed to work on.

Now that I've essentially taken a year and a half's sabbatical from teaching, I've only slipped in a few range sessions and several hundred rounds covering some different calibers. I figure I can afford the break after having served in that capacity for 26 years (minus some months out on disability, or post surgery/during chemo). The last couple of range sessions I've done (including a LEOSA qual and some testing of a couple of guns), it felt like I'd not taken any break at all, and that not even a week had passed.

Now that I've enjoyed a bit of a rest, I'm considering just setting up to go shoot once or twice a month, for maybe 2-3 hours, to shoot with a couple of the other instructors with whom I used to work, taking advantage of our new indoor range facility and the revamped rifle range.

Basically, I feel I've reached the point where I'm more interested in making sure my skills aren't deteriorating and rusting away.

• Like 2

Great responses!  Glad the group is getting some range time in at all!  I train with a lot of Wolf, Tula and Winchester steel ammo now as the cheaper price allows me to practice more, plus being a member at my local range, it only costs me $1 per visit ($100 yearly fee to remain a member).  I use pretty generic targets, paper plates I scavenge and masking tape holes in any paper targets I use.

Luckily my gen2 G19 eats whatever I give her and she's hungry!

It depends, do more shooting during the cooler months than summer...Arizona. Have a side field range and trigger time can vary from 2 double stack magazines to 10-20 single stack magazines. Been testing different brand magazines/factory/handloaded ammunition in a new Colt Lightweight Commander in 38 Super. This is my third Colt in 38 Super and all have shot out of the box. :)