Deadliest Creature On Earth Thriving And On The Hunt In MN + WI

TBO

This reminded me of what one of my nieces told me recently.

Apparently the main predator for moose is orca whales.

Reading just the heading, my first thought was "humans" but apparently we're only number 2 on the list, at only 400k homicides per year.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

This reminded me of what one of my nieces told me recently.

Apparently the main predator for moose is orca whales.

Reading just the heading, my first thought was "humans" but apparently we're only number 2 on the list, at only 400k homicides per year.  

Mosquitos: "We are legion". 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TBO said:

Thank God these deadly creatures didn't exist before modern times.  I can remember back when they only bit me when I was camping, but none of them meant me harm, they just wanted to feast on my blood.  Lots of them.

16 minutes ago, Maser said:

I'll take those over chiggers anyday!  Literally the #1 thing I hate about visiting the south is chiggers.  #2 being quicksand.  :shakehead:

How ya feel about ticks? First couple years out here I'd freak out when I caught one crawling up my neck after working in the woods. Now, I just bite they little heads off and nibble on they tiny feet. :eat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Mosquitos are prolific, but the rates of deaths vs bites is infinitesimally small. On the other hand:

• Big cats like tigers and lions launched the deadliest attacks, with 65% proving fatal.
  • 49% of attacks involving canid species — which includes domestic dogs, wolves, coyotes, foxes, jackals and dingoes — proved fatal.
  • 9% of bear attacks proved fatal.

The numbers above were compiled from carnivore attacks. I don't know what the numbers are for snake attacks, or large animals like hippos and elephants. I imagine that if you are attacked by a hippo or elephant, your ass is probably grass. It would be interesting to see the the percentages of fatalities in such attacks. I found one report that stated that between 29% and 87% of hippo attacks on humans are fatal. That sounds like percentage-speak for, "We have no idea, but hippos are really mean to people."

The chart below shows that elephants kill WAY more people a year than they injure and bears & rhinos are mostly *******.

Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 4.35.36 PM.png

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

Apparently they have NOT seen the size of blood suckers in the south.   Thats why we all have tough Assis......

Ours may not be as big as yours but ours swarm in huge numbers and that's not just in the bars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GT4494 said:

Apparently they have NOT seen the size of blood suckers in the south.   Thats why we all have tough Assis......

LMAO. Mn and Alaska have their fair share of the buggars. Some will take you home and eat you. 

Looking at Eric's list, there are few things in life that get you going like moving vegetation and a tiger standing behind it. No, I didn't have near enough rifle, and fortunately the critter was as startled as I was. Not sure who ran faster, but it was in opposite directions. What a magnificent creature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Think of the damage the average 3 pound housecat can do. Now make that cat ~400 pounds, give or take a couple hundred pounds,  without ANY domestication. Yep, not going to end well, no matter how you look at it.

If you can get her to let you rub her belly she's probably sweet as a kitten... 

B688B6CF-E5E9-4CFC-B53B-F3E58A0C8146.gif

• Haha 1