The price of bacon...

Mrs.Cicero

Well, the price of lunch meat at the grocery store is driving me to reconsider keeping pigs this year, instead of waiting until next year.

I actually get my bacon at a reasonable $5/lb at the local butcher shop, and raise chickens, rabbits, ducks for meat, and hunt deer for red meat.  But none of that is the lunch meat my family likes to... take to lunch.

Anyway, the price for lunch meat has gone from $6.99/lb prior to covidiocy, to $12.99/lb, which is ridiculous.

I've never processed a pig.  So this might be an interesting year after all...

We got 15# ground goat meat from my daughter's boss this week, which everyone is liking (I made a Moroccan stew with the first #, and have 3 more recipes to try - I'd never cooked GROUND goat meat before, only chops).  I liked it, too.  I'd like to get goats but no one else is on board with that because they'd tie us to the property and keep us from traveling even more than we already are.  But my neighbor across the way has goats, so maybe we could trade off care when we need to travel... 

I just think there was a huge jump in food prices this month...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mom won the 1st place door-prize at a firehall event. 3rd place was a quad. 2nd place was a Caribbean vacation. 1st place was...... a pig.

As big as a football. SCREEEE!! SCREEE!! I hated that pig. She made him a box in the kitchen. Fed him a bottle.

He got to 600lbs. Now I hate him more. He's at the back door. You can't get out.

I don't remember the details, but he wasn't a "bacon pig", he was a "lard pig".

They traded him to the mexican restaurant, in town, for two free dinners every Friday, for a year.

They said he was the best lard they ever had.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

At 600#, he remembers bottles and nests in the kitchen.

Now he wants to come in.

600# pigs pretty much go where they want to. You can hit him with a bat. He won't feel it. Now he's in the kitchen.

You just shut the door behind you, as you go to work.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

At 600#, he remembers bottles and nests in the kitchen.

Now he wants to come in.

600# pigs pretty much go where they want to. You can hit him with a bat. He won't feel it. Now he's in the kitchen.

You just shut the door behind you, as you go to work.

I'm surprised 600# pig fits through the door!  or maybe he doesn't but he comes in anyway...

• Like 2

I recently got a bunch of steaks for 8.99 a pound.

I too was looking for lunch meat, or "cold cuts" as they used to be called. I hadn't had any in a year or more since the prices sky-rocketed, and  I was sickened by the $12.99 a pound and higher prices. So, I said **** it and kept moving on. I hadn't even looked at steak in years, as I had assumed those prices had sky-rocketed too. But once I saw that $8.99 a pound, I piled them into my car. Then went back a few days later and got more, both T-bones and rib-eyes.

I basically ate stake for 10-12 days. With baked potatoes. Great googley moogley but it was great. And I sure did feel great, eating natural foods.

Not sure how lunch-meat purveyors think they can sell their product for the same or more as good steak.

Still....boneless/skinless chicken breast is real cheap. I sometimes get it for $1.99 a pound. 

• Like 1