That is cold

Silentpoet

Not needing a freezer in winter is great, but what does he do in the spring, summer and fall?  Just eat what he traps on a a day-to-day basis?   I like rabbit (which makes my Dad roll his eyes at me, since that's about all he ate when he was a kid during WW2, and he swears he will never, ever eat it again), but even I would get tired of it if that was all the meat I ever got.  

I'd love to live further away from "civilization" than I do, but I'm not ready for that harsh an environment yet, I think.  96F below 0 is 60F below anything I've ever dealt with, and I wasn't real thrilled about 30F below 0 while I was taking care of the animals.  I needed better gloves. And I'd probably chop my foot using an axe like that. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

96F below 0 is 60F below anything I've ever dealt with, and I wasn't real thrilled about 30F below 0 while I was taking care of the animals.  

I'm sure I've never been below 0, and not sure if I've ever been down to single digits. 

Possibly while skiing at night on a January ski trip to Canada, but that was before a suana and some French onion soup. Not roughing it. :cold:

Temps in the teens were cold enough for me.

It's going into the high 70's today here. :599c64b322d5b_tongueout:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

I'm sure I've never been below 0, and not sure if I've ever been down to single digits. 

Possibly while skiing at night on a January ski trip to Canada, but that was before a suana and some French onion soup. Not roughing it. :cold:

Temps in the teens were cold enough for me.

It's going into the high 70's today here. :599c64b322d5b_tongueout:

I have experienced -35  in Minnesota.  I remember one time I came home from the Navy on leave with a windbreaker and dress pants and shirt to -10 getting off the plane.  It wasn't as cold as when I left Charleston, SC and it was around high 30s with very high humidity.  that moisture soaked through anything you were wearing and just ripped the heat out of you.

-10 in Minnesota was with humidity equal to Death Valley so even the least clothing to block the wind felt warmer than Charleston.

One Winter at work we fired up a fancy high priced hygrometer in the lab and it read a high of 10%.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

I have experienced -35  in Minnesota.  I remember one time I came home from the Navy on leave with a windbreaker and dress pants and shirt to -10 getting off the plane.  It wasn't as cold as when I left Charleston, SC and it was around high 30s with very high humidity.  that moisture soaked through anything you were wearing and just ripped the heat out of you.

-10 in Minnesota was with humidity equal to Death Valley so even the least clothing to block the wind felt warmer than Charleston.

One Winter at work we fired up a fancy high priced hygrometer in the lab and it read a high of 10%.

Working on the North Slope, I have experienced some bitter cold. We would be confined to camp other than absolutely essential work. I've seen temps of 100 BELOW when the wind chill was factored in. 45-50 below without the wind. You don't want any exposed skin.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, syntaxerrorsix said:

Too peopley for me.  Neighbors should never be that close.

Not too bad, just don't get involved with the Clubs, Associations and Outings,  wave nicely to the neighbors when you drive by with your dark tinted car windows...(and follow the Association Rules)

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 2:39 AM, syntaxerrorsix said:

Too peopley for me.  Neighbors should never be that close.

I lived in the burbs for fifty one years. Decided to move somewhat rural. Dirt roads no street lights just trees. Neighbors are around but not real close. I think this is absolutely miserable. Give me the burbs any day over rural. Depending on the housing market I hope to get the hell out of these miserable woods A.S.A.P. 

8 hours ago, Hook said:

I lived in the burbs for fifty one years. Decided to move somewhat rural. Dirt roads no street lights just trees. Neighbors are around but not real close. I think this is absolutely miserable. Give me the burbs any day over rural. Depending on the housing market I hope to get the hell out of these miserable woods A.S.A.P. 

Ha! Maybe we can trade :)