Farmers May Have Figured Out Exactly What's Causing the Egg Shortage - Was This Intentional?

pipedreams

"According to a rash of posts making the rounds on social media, something more sinister might be to blame for the lack of supply. Last week, a young man, possibly a farmer, claimed in a Facebook post:  “Ok so something really weird is going on, I have called multiple farms that sell chickens and they are all telling me that their chickens have stopped laying eggs and therefore they do not have any for sale. I looked into it a little further and apparently they are putting something in the feed to stop them from being able to lay eggs! If you have chickens and are having the same thing happen try to start feeding them a rice and pinto bean mix because it seems anything made as feed is being tainted with something that is causing this!”

In the Twitter post below, a woman who has raised chickens for over 30 years said she has never gone without eggs. But from Halloween until a week ago, her chickens produced just a single egg. After switching from chicken feed to goat feed, they began to lay eggs again.

In the tweet below, a woman writes: “Manufactured #eggshortage! Feed suppliers have added something to prevent hens from laying eggs. The consensus is Dumor or Producer’s Pride are the culprits. These bastards put s*** in the chicken feed to create an egg shortage!”"

Could it be the the feed producer are cutting back on expensive ingredience and using a substitute.

(Hey folks, our hens are like garbage disposals at our place. We throw almost all our scraps except for chicken ( which we give to our dogs ) and we also give then scratch grains and we are getting eggs galore. If you crush the eggshells up really good you can feed for good shells)

https://www.westernjournal.com/watch-farmers-may-figured-exactly-causing-egg-shortage-intentional/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Early November we switched to a commercial feed. They stopped laying. A few weeks ago we switched to a local mill, plus I make them food as well. They all lay daily now. 

Considering the 'shenanigans' we've seen (cattle die offs, very convenient outbreaks of avian flu etc.) it's not beyond the pale to imagine that something could be added to the chicken feed, to inhibit egg production. I wonder how many similar cases there are.

• Like 3

I fed my chickens Dumor when I first got them 10 years ago. 6 years ago I switched to Kalmbach.  My hens all went broody and hatched their own chicks that year.  I was quite happy about that.  I've stayed with Kalmbach, and my hens are still laying (even though it is winter and I do not light their coops, so the amount of eggs is down, but it is down a normal amount for winter).  FWIW, the chickens are free-ranged year round, but have the Kalmbach available to them 10 hours a day.  In winter, there isn't anything else for them to eat (besides snow and a little bit of kitchen scraps).  The rest of the year, they eat bugs, and the stuff I throw at them from the garden, and all the carcasses from my making chicken stock (yes they are cannibalistic little freaks), and rabbit, and they kill mice and eat snakes.  The price of chicken feed is way up no matter what brand you buy.  I order to recoup JUST feed costs, I would have to sell my eggs at over $4/dozen.  Right now I just give them to my parents and to the lady that gives me cherries and quince from her trees, and I trade the rest on an irregular basis.  All the dirty ones I feed to the dogs.  When laying picks up in the spring, I'm going to start selling the excess... assuming there is any, since half the chickens need to go to Freezer Camp, so I'm not paying so much in feed.  I wonder how much that sort of thing will contribute to further price increases - scarcity caused by people reducing the number of chooks they keep so they aren't paying extra for feed to produce more eggs than they themselves need... at what point does the price of eggs increase enough to make keeping extra chickens to sell their eggs actually make monetary sense?  I guess this depends on what happens to the price of feed, or whether or not you can free range your birds safely...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geeorge said:

And it is of concern to you and Your business How?

I have a friend who is a member there and they talk **** about a former member named geeorge quite frequently and have made the claim he came back as tree fiddy. Make no mistake I am not a member of that shithole. My friend tried to get me to join but I couldn’t stand all the arrogant know it alls. 

6 minutes ago, Hook said:

I have a friend who is a member there and they talk **** about a former member named geeorge quite frequently and have made the claim he came back as tree fiddy. Make no mistake I am not a member of that shithole. My friend tried to get me to join but I couldn’t stand all the arrogant know it alls. 

And still how is this your business?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, geeorge said:

not when you act like a Spy snitch from another forum

they can do whatever they want, and you can do whatever you want.

Anything you do can and will be held against you by someone for whatever reason they want.

If you don't want other people involved, or specific people involved, don't talk about things where they can see it.  

Not to be offensive, but turning a thread about eggs into an argument about another forum that is unrelated isn't really a good way to go about complaining that someone else should mind their own business.  Just ignore anyone saying crap that you don't like, and move on with your life, and you'll probably be much happier as a person.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cougar_ml said:

they can do whatever they want, and you can do whatever you want.

Anything you do can and will be held against you by someone for whatever reason they want.

If you don't want other people involved, or specific people involved, don't talk about things where they can see it.  

Not to be offensive, but turning a thread about eggs into an argument about another forum that is unrelated isn't really a good way to go about complaining that someone else should mind their own business.  Just ignore anyone saying crap that you don't like, and move on with your life, and you'll probably be much happier as a person.

And I am free to call them out on it, It's Merica land of the free

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, geeorge said:

And I am free to call them out on it, It's Merica land of the free

Not exactly.

This website is someone's private property that they have opened for public use.  You might live in the United States of America, or any of dozens of other countries in the American continents (all of which could also be referred to as part of "Merica" if someone so chose to do so) 

It's considered good manners to not cause scenes or fights where others might view them.

So, just as you can call out someone else for being rude, so can any of us towards you if what you are doing might be considered rude in our opinions.

Ultimately the owner of the site gets final decision on what goes and what doesn't, but with all the time and money he puts in to keeping this place up and running, I personally would rather he not have to deal with stuff like this.  

I have no authority to say you can or can't do whatever you like here; I just ask you show some consideration towards the guy who owns it.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Not exactly.

This website is someone's private property that they have opened for public use.  You might live in the United States of America, or any of dozens of other countries in the American continents (all of which could also be referred to as part of "Merica" if someone so chose to do so) 

It's considered good manners to not cause scenes or fights where others might view them.

So, just as you can call out someone else for being rude, so can any of us towards you if what you are doing might be considered rude in our opinions.

Ultimately the owner of the site gets final decision on what goes and what doesn't, but with all the time and money he puts in to keeping this place up and running, I personally would rather he not have to deal with stuff like this.  

I have no authority to say you can or can't do whatever you like here; I just ask you show some consideration towards the guy who owns it.

Your post was to long to bother reading:beat-dead-horse:

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2023 at 9:30 AM, pipedreams said:

So let me see if I got this right. 

Lisa the Twit, posted on the place where other Twits gather, that the feed suppliers that make their living selling feed for amimals, are adding something to the feed to stop hens from laying eggs?  Eggs, the very thing that their new feed consumers hatch from!

Thats one hell of a business model!

Meanwhile, back on the Jmohme compound, our chickens and ducks are producing more eggs than we can use. In fact, I have about three dozen I need to put in cartons as I type this.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 3:12 AM, geeorge said:

not when you act like a Spy snitch from another forum

You really shouldn't complain about snitching after you did the exact same thing to me.

...or did you forget?

I told you people wouldn't like that and they would remember.  That's why people talk **** about you over there.

Meanwhile... Back at the egg shortage.