A Rapid Shift to Clean Energy Would Save the World $12 Trillion, Analysis Shows

gwalchmai

11 hours ago, M&P15T said:

What's "clean energy"???? What energy and where's it coming from? Electrical energy? 

Not gas/nuclear/coal/etc.

So they think the world can sustain itself on solar, wind and hydro power, and save trillions in the process.

Laughable. 

Hydro isn’t green enough for some. There are couple hydroelectric dams along the California-Oregon border being torn down to save the fishes… after 50 years 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Or, that's how you create a Godzilla.

I always assumed that you created a Godzilla by poorly dubbing English over the audio of Japanese actors in a documentary on exceptionally large lizards. B|

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Speculations built on claimed lifetime of the hardware.  The Actual lifetime is much less.  The projections are based on optimum locations.  In the 5 state midwest, our Minnesota power company is betting on modular nuclear generators in high numbers scattered about the state. 

We are not an optimum location for solar and wind.  During Winter our daylight is less providing less solar energy, while our temperatures are low during the longer night when there is insufficient wind power.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Speculations built on claimed lifetime of the hardware.  The Actual lifetime is much less.  The projections are based on optimum locations.  In the 5 state midwest, our Minnesota power company is betting on modular nuclear generators in high numbers scattered about the state. 

We are not an optimum location for solar and wind.  During Winter our daylight is less providing less solar energy, while our temperatures are low during the longer night when there is insufficient wind power.

Yes the hardware isn't holding up as projected.  The other day I was driving and big flatbed truck pulled up next to me.  It had sort of a strange load strapped down, once he pulled forward I could see the back of the load.  It was an old wind turbine blade that had been cut into three pieces so it would fit on a standard flatbed.  We don't have many of the big windmill in our area so hard to say where it came from.

• Like 1

The more of this that comes down the pike, the more I want I sing the “Come Thou Asteroid” song.  The Idiocrats in power cannot conceive of the possibility that their precious virtue-signaling might actually destroy civilization… but the more I consider the long term and unintended side effects, the more likely that looks.  And once it is gone, we aren’t getting it back above the stone and ceramic age again, because the necessary metals are no longer available near enough to the surface of the earth to get them without high tech tools made of those metals, and requiring electricity or fuels we will no longer have available either.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

The more of this that comes down the pike, the more I want I sing the “Come Thou Asteroid” song.  The Idiocrats in power cannot conceive of the possibility that their precious virtue-signaling might actually destroy civilization… but the more I consider the long term and unintended side effects, the more likely that looks.  And once it is gone, we aren’t getting it back above the stone and ceramic age again, because the necessary metals are no longer available near enough to the surface of the earth to get them without high tech tools made of those metals, and requiring electricity or fuels we will no longer have available either.  

Exactly the thoughts I’ve had. Hope we both are drastically wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember years ago wife and I visited Hawaii and drove around the island to see volcanos running off the island into the sea. On the way passed a point - maybe the western most part of the states. Supposedly an ideal place for a wind farm. The one there was no longer in service, with broken and missing blades and only concrete footings left from buildings and other infrastructure. Reportedly the place was abandoned once all federal subsidy money had been collected.

Half a square mile of fertile farmland in middle Tennessee is allegedly being converted to a solar farm. No mention of battery bank or other way to keep things powered when the sun isn’t shining. Guess TVA will be expected to handle that detail. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

I remember years ago wife and I visited Hawaii and drove around the island to see volcanos running off the island into the sea. On the way passed a point - maybe the western most part of the states. Supposedly an ideal place for a wind farm. The one there was no longer in service, with broken and missing blades and only concrete footings left from buildings and other infrastructure. Reportedly the place was abandoned once all federal subsidy money had been collected.

Half a square mile of fertile farmland in middle Tennessee is allegedly being converted to a solar farm. No mention of battery bank or other way to keep things powered when the sun isn’t shining. Guess TVA will be expected to handle that detail. 

This is happening more and more, their putting solar panels on prime fertile farmland.  We have several in our area that are quite large and on some of the best flat farmland in the country.  I could see placing them on rolling hillside farmland that is marginal but prime land?  No wonder their talking about bug burgers as a replacement for good food.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

The "Green New Deal" refers to the green 💲💵💲💵💲💵 the politicians promoting it are stuffing in their pockets. No regard for anything else. Sad part, far too many are blindly following.

The US was an energy independent country with a booming economy, and near record low inflation, and unemployment less than 2 years ago. The country was secure and the boarders were too. Anyone remember that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1