"I just smoked a wolf pup. #firstwolf #onelesspredatorMT"

Huaco Kid

1 hour ago, M&P15T said:

At a distance, fading light, in the woods, the animal is being hyper-aggressive.....no way to differentiate. Nor should she be waiting for it to attack her to find out. 

I think for some here, their love of dogs is overriding their common-sense. 

ETA; sharing such things on social media is retarded.

At a distance in fading light is a very unethical shot. End of story. 

Otherwise you seem to have missed the irony, and might should read the article. Fist, she bothered to buy a tag. What stipulations go with that?? A PUP? Really? Then she posts up trophy pics and skins it out. You think she got a good look at it then? Recon exactly when the mistake was noticed, and it wasn't before posting a running time line and trophy pics.

Then the story goes to self defense. Nothing seems to have been mentioned of that in the initial euphoria. OK, a dog might come at you, doubtful it wanted more than affection, but OK, A wolf would turn inside out to get away in all but very rare cases, and a pup would do so in even more cases.

No problem downing rouge animals, especially feral rouge animals, just the stupidity that went along with it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

At a distance in fading light is a very unethical shot. End of story. 

Otherwise you seem to have missed the irony, and might should read the article. Fist, was shooting a wolf legal where she is? A PUP? Really? Then she posts up trophy pics and skins it out. You think she got a good look at it then? Recon exactly when the mistake was noticed, and it wasn't before posting a running time line and trophy pics.

No problem downing rouge animals, especially feral rouge animals, just the stupidity that went along with it.

Did you miss the part where she had a tag to shoot wolves? And the part where the animal was being very aggressive towards her? (negating the "distance" part.) Pup doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hook said:

You better the big one might get mistaken for a coyote. 

One of our dogs looked SO MUCH like a fox when he was half-grown, we didn't let him off leash during hunting season.  Then when he was grown... he looked like a freaky coyote (size and shape and hair length, just more fox-like coloring).  Once again, he doesn't go off leash, even on our property, during hunting season (we've had problems with trespassers and poachers).  The mostly English mastiff mutt would probably be mistaken for a deer by some damn fool; I never let him off leash anywhere outside a fence, since he'll just follow his nose to hell ignoring everything but whatever glorious smell he has snorted.  Dumbass dog.  I miss the old Bullmastiff, who was much, much smarter, and less stubborn.  We have a bunch of coydogs in the neighborhood - bigger and less afraid of people than the full coyotes.  I don't shoot at them unless they come after my chickens, but I have no problem with killing them then.

• Like 2

As a person who has seen many wolves and killed a few, I still can't imagine someone mistaking a husky pup for a wolf. First of all there is a gigantic size difference. Plus they don't even begin to look similar. A wolf isn't going to stick around either. They make tracks....fast.  Usually you will never even see them.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

As a person who has seen many wolves and killed a few, I still can't imagine someone mistaking a husky pup for a wolf. First of all there is a gigantic size difference. Plus they don't even begin to look similar. A wolf isn't going to stick around either. They make tracks....fast.  Usually you will never even see them.

Very few understand how large a wolf is.

Most don't understand how small a coyote is, even with the variance in size, and as many that probably have seen them.

I've seen them in the day, but it is rare, even with the population in the area. They are definitely on a mission if they are out during the day.

• Like 1

If I have the means to defend myself, I will not tolerate being attacked by anyone or anything.  I challenged a neighbor's dog that came at me in the street, I figured it was him or me so I turned and walked at the dog.  The neighbor rescued the dog before it came to blows.

If not attacked or being stalked, I don't start something, but I do stay wary.

• Like 2