Techno-Bureaucratic BS.

Batesmotel

So my wife started a new job last week. Today her new computer and company phone were delivered to the house. She needs to be in the office tomorrow morning with the computer and phone charged and ready for a training day.

She needs to be logged into both the phone and computer to set them up tonight. To log into the computer the very first time she needs to use an app on the phone.

To log onto the phone she needs to use the phone to call for her temporary password to access the website to download the app to open the phone.

As she can’t open the phone she used her personal phone to call the help desk to get the password.

They won’t give it to her because she isn’t using a company recognized phone number.

To open the computer she needs the phone. To open the phone she needs to already be in the phone. The weekend help line won’t help get in the phone because she isn’t in the phone.

You know that old nursery rhyme song about the hole in the bucket? Yeah. Like that. Apparently this would not have been an issue if she had received the bundle on a weekday. Weekend rules are different.

I told her to bring this to work tomorrow. Should work better. 

4E61FE1D-5273-4B70-AA6D-1707B4C472DD.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I had an account with a goverment agency for filing reports. It forced me to change my password every 60 days. It also required passwords to 12 characters long, have multiple upper and lower case and at least two symbols. 

I put up with it for a year and then closed the account and requested that I be mailed the old forms to fill out and mail back. They said that once I started online I had to continue online. I said "Well, then I guess you won't get your reports." and I haven't made a report since. Been a few years and they haven't seemed to notice, probably because there was no fee attached to the reports, just reporting for the sake of making a report.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Fog said:

I had an account with a goverment agency for filing reports. It forced me to change my password every 60 days. It also required passwords to 12 characters long, have multiple upper and lower case and at least two symbols. 

I put up with it for a year and then closed the account and requested that I be mailed the old forms to fill out and mail back. They said that once I started online I had to continue online. I said "Well, then I guess you won't get your reports." and I haven't made a report since. Been a few years and they haven't seemed to notice, probably because there was no fee attached to the reports, just reporting for the sake of making a report.

I'ts the PAPERWORK, gotta' keep all those "appointees" busy...

When I worked in (city agency) I came to the conclusion that 25% of the "workers" did the work, the rest were less than useless....BUT CIVIL SERVICE you can't fire the XXckers..

It kinda' made me feel like a fool, but i just could not sit around and do nothing....It did make me slow down though   (finally found something to do....ran a small business on ,gov time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

When I worked in (city agency) I came to the conclusion that 25% of the "workers" did the work, the rest were less than useless....BUT CIVIL SERVICE you can't fire the XXckers..

I'm in the same situation.  In my experience civil service employees quickly learn to do the absolute minimum to get by.  If they go above and beyond, managers take note and pile on the work.  No promotion, no raise, just more work because you have an actual work ethic.  However if you're a screw-up, you get promoted and/or transferred (usually closer to home) to make you someone else's problem.

Soon this will all be behind me as I submitted my retirement papers last week.  I figure 42 years of this nonsense has been quite enough.  In two and a half weeks I'll finally be free!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, minderasr said:

I'm in the same situation.  In my experience civil service employees quickly learn to do the absolute minimum to get by.  If they go above and beyond, managers take note and pile on the work.  No promotion, no raise, just more work because you have an actual work ethic.  However if you're a screw-up, you get promoted and/or transferred (usually closer to home) to make you someone else's problem.

Soon this will all be behind me as I submitted my retirement papers last week.  I figure 42 years of this nonsense has been quite enough.  In two and a half weeks I'll finally be free!

Bingo....You got that right  .... "MY" agency was the "catch all" for people who got booted from a lot of other agencies...Why do you have so many "managers" in a Design and Construction agency who have absolutely no experience or knowledge of construction or design ??    (But getting big pay checks)

I got out at 20 years and 55 years of age...  (in 1990??) :angel: 

• Like 2

I was non-union on a large mostly union construction project. They couldn’t find union guys to do my job. I was disgusted about how much time was spent by the various unions “not working”.

I mean actively spending time setting up situations where they could take more time off because they had created a situation that by union rules they couldn’t work.

Electricians were the worst. They were not allowed to move my boxes to get to where they needed to work. So they would doctor the paperwork to make a work order to only be in a unit where I just had inventory delivered.

360 units need wiring but they only wanted to work in the 3-4 where they were not allowed to be because of my inventory. So they would just take another day off with pay. The project was over budget and over time. The cost just got passed onto the new owners.

It was winter and they didn’t want to finish in the slow season. They drug it out until the spring construction rush had started.

• Sad 2

I worked at a military-contracting electronics manufacturing plant.  We had a big new contract making a secret-level radar.

But some government agency stopped our manufacturing supply of the coating (I forget what it was,  some kind of chalky golden-colored anodizing metal) we used, due to toxicity, or something.

Then then government contracting agency, that really really wanted the radars, started suing us because we couldn't fulfill the contract.

We tried to get the one .gov agency to work it out with the other .gov agency, but no go.

It was neither of theirs problem.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I worked at a military-contracting electronics manufacturing plant.  We had a big new contract making a secret-level radar.

But some government agency stopped our manufacturing supply of the coating (I forget what it was,  some kind of chalky golden-colored anodizing metal) we used, due to toxicity, or something.

Then then government contracting agency, that really really wanted the radars, started suing us because we couldn't fulfill the contract.

We tried to get the one .gov agency to work it out with the other .gov agency, but no go.

It was neither of theirs problem.

Quite often One City Agency, dealing with another City agency (same city) like foreign countries  

• Like 2