Fauci

DAKA

9 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Hard to find things too far off in the optometrist shop. The old Birth Control .mil glasses are even stylish now.

Is it just me or do others get a "Clinique Clinic at the Mall" vibe at the eyeglass fitting section of some eye doctor offices? Last time I bought glasses from the docs I was very much in fear for my wallet. Since then I just grab the script and run. :supergrin:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Is it just me or do others get a "Clinique Clinic at the Mall" vibe at the eyeglass fitting section of some eye doctor offices? Last time I bought glasses from the docs I was very much in fear for my wallet. Since then I just grab the script and run. :supergrin:

LOL, You're right. A long time acquaintance owns an eyeglasses shop. They do fantastic work and have amazing CS, but his prices are pretty steep to the guy that spends his life in sticker shock.

Americas Best has done us good, but still $300+ bucks for two pair of progressive bifocals with poly lenses. Of course, that is less than a frame at the other place. I wear the lines, so mine are a little less. So far they have fit us very well. 

The optometrist has been good at the two locations we have tried, the staffing at the old one were less than stellar, but the current one strives to make folks happy. The last time in, the guy was different than the first and a long cry from a doc in a box. He spotted some pretty serious problems that had been missed by a pretty good Ophthalmologist, but it had several more months to simmer. Not too happy about the treatment, or who is doing it, but things seem to be progressing better than we had hoped. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

LOL, You're right. A long time acquaintance owns an eyeglasses shop. They do fantastic work and have amazing CS, but his prices are pretty steep to the guy that spends his life in sticker shock.

Americas Best has done us good, but still $300+ bucks for two pair of progressive bifocals with poly lenses. Of course, that is less than a frame at the other place. I wear the lines, so mine are a little less. So far they have fit us very well. 

The optometrist has been good at the two locations we have tried, the staffing at the old one were less than stellar, but the current one strives to make folks happy. The last time in, the guy was different than the first and a long cry from a doc in a box. He spotted some pretty serious problems that had been missed by a pretty good Ophthalmologist, but it had several more months to simmer. Not too happy about the treatment, or who is doing it, but things seem to be progressing better than we had hoped. 

It seems to be "hit or miss" took 3 visits to Ophthalmologists, for the last one to find that all I needed was PRISM in my lenses to stop the double vision 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

It seems to be "hit or miss" took 3 visits to Ophthalmologists, for the last one to find that all I needed was PRISM in my lenses to stop the double vision 

There is a difference between optometrist and ophthalmologist, so which found it? A good optometrist (the ones that fit glasses) should have hit that out of the park in a hurry. You are very right, and it is much the same with any health care.

Not that it makes a big difference, just glad you got things resolved. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NPTim said:

An optometrist is to an ophthalmologist as a PA/NP is to an MD/DO.

Just got back from an abortive visit to a Doctor (MD).  My normal doctor (DO) visit was cancelled at the last minute and I was sent to another.  I went in for Steroid shots in my knees and shoulder.

I got there and was told that the MD couldn't do the shots!  He said he didn't have the proper training for them.  I was perplexed since I thought a shot was a shot! but he said no.  Special training is given for proper alignment and location for shots like these and he didn't have that training.

I was apprehensive about getting these shots from a different doctor because the normal doctor I got them from was great at giving them without any discomfort and with reasonable pain relief.  I guess I was right and didn't know it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, janice6 said:

I got there and was told that the MD couldn't do the shots!  He said he didn't have the proper training for them.  I was perplexed since I thought a shot was a shot! but he said no.  Special training is given for proper alignment and location for shots like these and he didn't have that training.

I was getting a cortisone shot in my lower spine.

Two guys walked in and one announced, "Congratulations!  I'm training him, and you get to receive his first try at this!"

They had me in an xray, or ultrasound, or something,  and they were both staring intently at a screen,  while the one guy was digging around with the needle.  It was VERY uncomfortable.

"Over a little. Back. Over. More. OK. Oh!  Did you feel that crunch?  I even heard it. That means you went waay too far.  Pull it out a and start over."

yay.

• Sad 1

Just now, Huaco Kid said:

I was getting a cortisone shot in my lower spine.

Two guys walked in and one announced, "Congratulations!  I'm training him, and you get to receive his first try at this!"

They had me in an xray, or ultrasound, or something,  and they were both staring intently at a screen,  while the one guy was digging around with the needle.  It was VERY uncomfortable.

"Over a little. Back. Over. More. OK. Oh!  Did you feel that crunch?  I even heard it. That means you went waay too far.  Pull it out a and start over."

yay.

My daughter just had a steroid shot in her shoulder that was guided by fluoroscope.  Right into the Bursa.  She said it was extremely painful........ Condolences.

8 hours ago, janice6 said:

Just got back from an abortive visit to a Doctor (MD).  My normal doctor (DO) visit was cancelled at the last minute and I was sent to another.  I went in for Steroid shots in my knees and shoulder.

I was apprehensive about getting these shots from a different doctor because the normal doctor I got them from was great at giving them without any discomfort and with reasonable pain relief.  I guess I was right and didn't know it.

At least he put your comfort and safety before the fee, I would have done the same thing. Were I him, I’d arrange for your doctor to precept me on the injections in question.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, janice6 said:

Watch it. Be mindful.

Case in point, last week I went to a cardiologist. For an EKG, the attendant (? NP/PA) put the leads in the wrong arm. Left on right arm, right on left arm. This is the same attendant that stated that if I smoked, I should give up smoking and take up drinking. Very professional...

The cardiologist caught her mistake, ordered another EKG and prescribed diagnostic tests. Nuclear stress with contrast, echo and  coronary calcium scan. The former at his offices.

I cancelled everything. On to a new cardiologist. The med/mal cases I've handled were screaming at me like I've never heard them before.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ricordo said:

Watch it. Be mindful.

Case in point, last week I went to a cardiologist. For an EKG, the attendant (? NP/PA) put the leads in the wrong arm. Left on right arm, right on left arm. This is the same attendant that stated that if I smoked, I should give up smoking and take up drinking. Very professional...

The cardiologist caught her mistake, ordered another EKG and prescribed diagnostic tests. Nuclear stress with contrast, echo and  coronary calcium scan. The former at his offices.

I cancelled everything. On to a new cardiologist. The med/mal cases I've handled were screaming at me like I've never heard them before.

Mucho $$$$$$ involved....paid by?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Mucho $$$$$$ involved....paid by?

Tell me.

Here's a partial of an internals CT scan (with contrast) performed 2.4 years earlier:

"Vascular: No abdominal aortic aneurysm or flow-limiting abdominal aortic stenosis. No retroperitoneal hemorrhage. Unremarkable inferior vena cava."

And that's before I modified my diet. And with 50 years of buying cigarettes.

Let me put it this way. Based on my med/mal cases  experience, if the staff is careless, unprofessional, and not up to par, get the hell out of there. The Dr. ain't better.

• Thanks 2

And here's the report just received regarding chest x-ray 2V:

Male, 69 years old. .; TABACCO USE, HYPERTENSION

COMPARISON: None.

FINDINGS:  The heart and lungs and vasculature are within normal limits. Trachea appears midline. No consolidation effusion or pneumothorax. Osseous structures are unremarkable.

IMPRESSION:
1.  No acute disease.

Not bad for 50 years of buying cigarettes. Previously stole them from my grandma (RIP- Bless her soul).  And from friends.

I think I have about five or six months left. Give or take a couple...

• Like 1