Obscure songs from your childhood

gwalchmai

23 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I was a huge fan of the Big bands of the 1930s and 1940s, not really a fan of the crooners of the era, but I listened to them for the arrangements.

I did learn to appreciate the singers, but I still believe, as I did 70 years ago, that singing ruins the good work of the band.  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Saturday matinees at the Queen theater; two serials (Flash Gordon, Batman, Buck Rogers, etc) a B science fiction movie, a Brown Cow or Slo Poke and a soda:  thirty-five cents.

Damned inflation sine janice's time.

:biggrin:

NB the Queen theater had a crying room.  And a balcony.  Remember those?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2022 at 2:46 PM, gwalchmai said:

Hitler has only got one ball...

When they made the movie The Bridge on the River Kwai, they made the decision not to have the men sing the lyrics, but to whistle the tune.

Hitler has only one big ball
Göring he has two but small
Himmler has something similar
And poor old Göbbels
Has now balls at all

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, minervadoe said:

Before Lynyrd Skinnard was a band, there was this line in Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah...  Just seems kind of weird in retrospect. 

I had to learn that song for a chorus performance at school, in the fifth grade. I liked Skynyrd even back then and seeing that name in the song struck me funny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

It never occured to me to look up where they came up with the band name, until now.

"And where did the band’s name come from you ask? A gym teacher at Robert E. Lee High School in Jacksonville, FL.

Leonard Skinner was a no-nonsense, flat-topped basketball coach whose name will forever be linked to the iconic rock band, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Funny part about Skinner? He didn’t even like rock ‘n’ roll. In fact, he often sent students to the principal’s office because their hair was too long.

One of those long haired kids was guitarist Gary Rossington. Him and the other founding members named their band Lynyrd Skynyrd in a sort-of tongue-in-cheek inspiration to the old gym teacher.

Skinner’s son ended up being a fan of the band & recalled his father not approving of the music. He ended up coming around...a little."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric said:

It never occured to me to look up where they came up with the band name, until now.

"And where did the band’s name come from you ask? A gym teacher at Robert E. Lee High School in Jacksonville, FL.

Leonard Skinner was a no-nonsense, flat-topped basketball coach whose name will forever be linked to the iconic rock band, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Funny part about Skinner? He didn’t even like rock ‘n’ roll. In fact, he often sent students to the principal’s office because their hair was too long.

One of those long haired kids was guitarist Gary Rossington. Him and the other founding members named their band Lynyrd Skynyrd in a sort-of tongue-in-cheek inspiration to the old gym teacher.

Skinner’s son ended up being a fan of the band & recalled his father not approving of the music. He ended up coming around...a little."

My friend Johnny tells of being at a Skynyrd concert in Atlanta and the guy in front of him started shouting "PLAY FREEBIRD - MY MAMA DIED!". And they played it. It came out on a live album and you can hear Ronnie say "Play it purty for Atlanta".

Folks is decent and respectful in the Southland...

• Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 8:09 PM, tous said:

I was a huge fan of the Big bands of the 1930s and 1940s, not really a fan of the crooners of the era, but I listened to them for the arrangements.

I did learn to appreciate the singers, but I still believe, as I did 70 years ago, that singing ruins the good work of the band.  :biggrin:

I Pretty much feel the same way about opera. I love the music but don't usually like the singing. One notable exception is Beethoven's symphony 9 "choral"especially at 2:57 in the video where there's a quiet little intro and then the whole choir goes full blast. I play this in my car at top volume and years ago I had a really good stereo in a converted garage that was behind some stores in a business district and at night I could play it at full volume

• Like 2

I have some opera singers I like.  In particular this combination of my favorites.     However, I do not listen to classical opera.

I'm hoping my family will respect my last wishes and play this song, among others, that I have listed for my funeral.

I do listen to each separately since I can't help but appreciate the supreme quality of their individual voices.  What can I say? I have eclectic tastes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1