Obscure songs from your childhood

gwalchmai

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Late wife hated “The Tennessee Waltz”. Never thought to ask her why…

My wife has hated the songs, 16 Tons, and Sinatra singing My Way, since the first time she heard them when we were teenagers.  I also have no Idea why.  I asked her but get no answer.

Yes, we had stupid music in the 1960s.

Sadly these are not obscure, but how the heck did they ever get played on the radio is beyond me.

It is hard to decide if this one is more insipid than the last.  More proof that we were all high in the 1960s and couldn't tell good music from bad.

NB  That is a a bass saxophone on the stand. 

• Like 2

My Granddaughter grabbed my cell phone one time while I was visiting.  She quickly went through the songs.  She found one and asked about it.  I told her that that particular song was there as an example for her that the generation that knew everything, and was raising her to be a wonderful human being, was also just aa foolish, superficial,  and dumb at one point in time, as her generation.

The song is: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not true.

Song of the South won an Oscar for Best Music: original song for Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da.  Written by white guys.

The film was nominated for Best Scoring of a Musical Picture.  Also white guys.

Didn't win.

James Baskett received an Honorary Oscar for his portray of Uncle Remus in 1948.

Yes, the first black actor in a musical to win an honorary Oscar, but Hattie McDaniel is the first African to win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in Gone With the Wind in 1939.

It wasn't until 1963 that another African, Sidney Poitier, was awarded an Oscar as Best Actor for Lillies of the Field.

I remember Song of the South well, both in theaters and on television as a lad.

I enjoyed it, so that makes me a racist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1