Butt plug chess update

Silentpoet

If I recall, and this was information from a long time ago,  the basic telephone desk station set (model 300 for rotary, 2600 for Touch Tone)  had a ring voltage of around 60 volts/DC  a line voltage around 40v/DC and the older-style crank units put out variable voltage, depending on how fast you cranked.  Based on the magneto they used in those units, I'm guessing the fastest you could crank, it peaked at around 100v/DC, but a few gentle cranks  did the trick, so I'm guessing 40v/AC to 70v/DC is the normal range.  You just needed enough to alert the Central Office.

One of my uncles had an old World War II radio set with a crank-type generator.  We used it on cool spring mornings: take two heavy wires with stripped ends, the other end attached to the poles of the generator.  Drop the exposed ends to the ground and crank for a minute or two..  Move a few feet over, repeat.

Collect the bazilion earth worms that came to the surface and we had bait for fishing all day and then some.

Scoff not at the old ways, for some of them cannot be improved upon.

Yes, I am a geek.

Old geek.

From back when were were called Poindexters.

:biggrin:

edited to correct: telephone voltage was DC - direct current.  Thanks for the reminder, Batesmotel.  I have an excuse.  I'm old.  :biggrin:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Fog said:

A stick of dynamite works too, at least that is what I have been told by my cousin.

High school buddy spent a year in the reformatory for dynamiting fish.  Damn fool did it on a lake next to a busy night club one evening while using car headlights to attract the fish.  Minnesota DNR protects it's wildlife far more punishingly than its police do its citizens from crime.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, janice6 said:

High school buddy spent a year in the reformatory for dynamiting fish.  Damn fool did it on a lake next to a busy night club one evening while using car headlights to attract the fish.  Minnesota DNR protects it's wildlife far more punishingly than its police do its citizens from crime.

There is a guy selling tshirts that say "Minnesota DNR Come on vacation, leave on probation" Based on his and a few others experiences it's a state I'll never visit.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 10:45 AM, Fog said:

There is a guy selling tshirts that say "Minnesota DNR Come on vacation, leave on probation" Based on his and a few others experiences it's a state I'll never visit.

A couple clowns over the years give them all a bad name. 

Yes, I've had to deal with a clown or two, but on the balance the majority were just people. 

ymmv

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TBO said:

A couple clowns over the years give them all a bad name. 

Yes, I've had to deal with a clown or two, but on the balance the majority were just people. 

ymmv

Mostly I'm afraid of mosquitoes that can carry off small children. Had a family friend that moved there years ago and she said it was the "land of ten thousand lakes with a million mosquitoes in every one."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1