My grass is taking over...

gwalchmai

I had my lawn leveled and seeded back in April and it's finally getting to its Happy Spot. Rain has been heavy for the last few days and it could stand a pass with the Husky, but it's too wet. Maybe Thursday... ;)

April

386913797_040722grass.thumb.jpg.59e32b356b7cd4c4adbea151de902851.jpg

Today644624903_090622grass.jpg.4cc182f2e4748d97a03ee29be5c97680.jpg

To the question "Why not just cover the lawn with dollar bills?", they tend to blow away in the wind. Of course, so does dirt and seeds, sometimes... 

• Like 5

I have a bit of lawn between the back of the house and where the woods starts.  Time to throw weed killer on it and fence the chooks off it (in reverse order).  I’ve given up on the frontage until the kids leave home and I can cut the chooks down to one too and 5 hens just for eggs- that’s few enough I could pen them while I kill off the weeds, reseed, etc.  I’m only planning on doing this because Mr Cicero wants a real lawn there.  Personally, I like the violets, then the dandelions, then the bees love the clover.  The mallow isn’t offensive.  The plantain is at least low-growing and green.  I hate the dang burdock tho, and it hates me right back.  Ditto the creeping Charlie.  If I didn’t have chickens on it, it would all be edible, if I got bored in the kitchen.  Well, the kids think it’s only spring if I make them dandelion fritters (from the back of the property where there are no chickens!!)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I had my lawn leveled and seeded back in April and it's finally getting to its Happy Spot. Rain has been heavy for the last few days and it could stand a pass with the Husky, but it's too wet. Maybe Thursday... ;)

April

386913797_040722grass.thumb.jpg.59e32b356b7cd4c4adbea151de902851.jpg

Today644624903_090622grass.jpg.4cc182f2e4748d97a03ee29be5c97680.jpg

To the question "Why not just cover the lawn with dollar bills?", they tend to blow away in the wind. Of course, so does dirt and seeds, sometimes... 

That's some nice greenery.  I'm somewhat of a lawn nazi.  I love grass, but I realize I have probably too much.

My kids and their peers obviously have different views about people of my generation and the want for a very big lot and lots of grass.  All they want is a small abode and no responsibility for exterior maintenance. 

• Like 3

Sweet. If not for weeds,,,,,,,,,,,,er,,,,Native Grasses, we wouldn't have any green. I sent off some samples when we moved in and Texas A&M sent back a long recipe of needs, starting with no less than 6 inches of top soil. Iron Ore clay at about an inch deep pretty well chokes out any grass, and even where I have top soil deep enough, it still doesn't do grass.

Oh well, it doesn't take water to keep green, unless it is a year like this one, and even so, 2 weeks after a rain and the mower was choking on the stuff. Not tall, just thick.

The kids next door had a beauty of a lawn until they stopped mowing the stuff regularly, so now the St Augustine is secondary. The stuff won't come into our property and I've been trying for 19 years. That area has very good soil. Oh well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Sweet. If not for weeds,,,,,,,,,,,,er,,,,Native Grasses, we wouldn't have any green. I sent off some samples when we moved in and Texas A&M sent back a long recipe of needs, starting with no less than 6 inches of top soil. Iron Ore clay at about an inch deep pretty well chokes out any grass, and even where I have top soil deep enough, it still doesn't do grass.

Oh well, it doesn't take water to keep green, unless it is a year like this one, and even so, 2 weeks after a rain and the mower was choking on the stuff. Not tall, just thick.

The kids next door had a beauty of a lawn until they stopped mowing the stuff regularly, so now the St Augustine is secondary. The stuff won't come into our property and I've been trying for 19 years. That area has very good soil. Oh well.

I studied with a well-known environmentalist who used to tell the story of the great Army Worm invasion of 1978. His subdivision was beautiful. All his neighbors had carefully manicured ZoisiaFescueBermuda monocultures. Except for Vern, who had a lawn consisting of, um, native grasses. Everybody gave him poop about it (no matter, he was an ecologist and thus a big fan of poop). Then, in 78, he watched as the Army Worms started at one end of the subdivision and began eating their way across. Then they hit Vern's yard. He said he heard a collective "PTUI!" when they got to his property line. 

And that was my intro to diversity. :supergrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, tous said:

Looks like  mebbe a feller could have him some fun messin' with the utilities on that pole there.

Instead of the Husky -- sheeps.

They won't mind the wet.

And -- sweaters.

Many sweaters.

:holy-sheep:

My friend in ATL regularly rents a herd of goats to mow her property. I don't know if the place rents sheep (probably a surcharge if you bring them back hungover). 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I studied with a well-known environmentalist who used to tell the story of the great Army Worm invasion of 1978. His subdivision was beautiful. All his neighbors had carefully manicured ZoisiaFescueBermuda monocultures. Except for Vern, who had a lawn consisting of, um, native grasses. Everybody gave him poop about it (no matter, he was an ecologist and thus a big fan of poop). Then, in 78, he watched as the Army Worms started at one end of the subdivision and began eating their way across. Then they hit Vern's yard. He said he heard a collective "PTUI!" when they got to his property line. 

And that was my intro to diversity. :supergrin:

Interesting.  If memory serves me correctly, it was around 1978 when we had about a half section of corn or beans wiped out by those little bastards.

• Like 1