Anyone going to wear white?

jmohme

1 hour ago, jmohme said:

I hate stupid traditions.

I have my white shirts picked out for the rest of the week following Labor Day.

In all my born days I never even knew of any such tradition. When did this tradition start and how soon will it be canceled as racist? Someone will have to explain this to me.:|

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I first heard of it years back when my wife asked me to take my daughter to get some dress shoes for some occasion or another.

I called the wife from the shoe store and told her we had found a very pretty pair or white shoes. She then informed me that I could not buy those because you cant wear white after Labor Day. 

I don't recall exactly what my response was but I do know that the words "Bull ****" and quite a bit of laughing preceded the sound of her hanging up on me.

I don't think I got any that night either. :confused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't reckon that gwalch  pays much attention to what gay fashion galoots decree.

Me, neither.

You just don't mess with a feller that's been in every Waffle House in Georgia.

However, the Biden administration, in consultation with Black Lives Matter, Maxine Waters and Louis Farrakhan have issued an executive order making it illegal to be white after Labor day.

I reckon gwalch and me will ignore that one, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Think the “don’t wear white after Labor Day” originally applied to women and white skirts or dresses. During cold weather when heat commonly came from individual coal burning furnaces, sitting down on something with enough soot on it to dirty white outfits was a risk. Similarly hanging one’s white laundry on an outside line to dry during heating season was risky. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LostinTexas said:

I thought it was just shoes, but never paid a lot of attention to that. Since I primarily wear white shoes, I'm going with I'll be wearing white.

Think Pat Boone and Elvis had a shoe duel early in their careers. One sung of blue suede shoes and the other of white bucks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jmohme said:

I first heard of it years back when my wife asked me to take my daughter to get some dress shoes for some occasion or another.

I called the wife from the shoe store and told her we had found a very pretty pair or white shoes. She then informed me that I could not buy those because you cant wear white after Labor Day. 

I don't recall exactly what my response was but I do know that the words "Bull ****" and quite a bit of laughing preceded the sound of her hanging up on me.

I don't think I got any that night either. :confused:

What? You didn’t get white shoes? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2022 at 4:20 PM, Batesmotel said:

Snotty, Mid Atlantic, Old Money bullshit. 

Same with the Texas crap about when you can and cannot wear a felt or straw hat. 

I rarely see a felt hat, and there are a LOT of cowboys in the area. Maybe for some sort of formal attire self imposed BS. Too hot for felt for most of the year.