NOAA predicted more hurricanes this season

ChuteTheMall

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/noaa-predicts-above-normal-2022-atlantic-hurricane-season

The 6 month hurricane season (May thru October) is almost half over and the experts' prediction hasn't materialized. :sport-smiley-027:

Maybe it's global warming's fault.  Or maybe government bureaucrats make lousy scientists.

Maybe they are waiting for new homeowners' insurance companies to show up.

Maybe the witch doctors spilled their tea leaves.

Just another Florida day with thunder and a few tropical showers here and there.

• Like 3

Yeah, we are still on C, and as one who has boats to pull out of the water, large awnings to disassemble, and tons of crap to put away before real storms, I keep a close eye on things and have learned tons about this stuff.  It does make me wonder if "Colin" was even qualified as a TS.  It is stated that winds did hit 40 mph for one minute, and that the minimum pressure was ESTIMATED to be 29.9 in/hg or 1011 mb.  Standard pressure is 29.92 in/hg or 1013 mb.  Methinks the jokers at NOAA did everything they could to make "Colin" a TS.

But, satellite images and radar didn't look very convincing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aomagrat said:

They've been slapping a name on every thunderstorm that formed over the ocean the last few years to push their climate change agenda.

Yeah!  I was watching the Texas flood in Dallas and they said it was the worst in 500 years.

Now, if they expect me to believe the flood was the product of "Global Warming/Climate Change", they said themselves that this has occurred 500 years ago.  So either Climate was changing back then, or it's still a big lie and nothing is caused by modern men and machines..........  They even contradict themselves!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, aomagrat said:

They've been slapping a name on every thunderstorm that formed over the ocean the last few years to push their climate change agenda.

They have been naming inland systems as well for the past ten or so years. Pretty lame, but what ever thy can do to keep the unrest going.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Yeah!  I was watching the Texas flood in Dallas and they said it was the worst in 500 years.

Now, if they expect me to believe the flood was the product of "Global Warming/Climate Change", they said themselves that this has occurred 500 years ago.  So either Climate was changing back then, or it's still a big lie and nothing is caused by modern men and machines..........  They even contradict themselves!

Five hundred years ago, the sixteenth century, the area known as  Dallas was sparsely populated by Native Americans known as the Caddo.

Note that it is unlikely that they called themselves the Caddo people and as America did not exist, I suppose we must refer to them as 'those guys.'

It is fortunate that 'those guys' were able to accurately  record the effects of a natural disaster so that we can compare ours to theirs and positively determine that it could all be blamed on the internal combustion engine.and flatulent cowsies.

Cowsies may have been farting in the year 1500, but there were no automobiles or trucks.  Don't tell AlGore.  He'll accuse you of being a climate denier.

It is also fortunate that of nearly every indigenous group populating what we call North America at the time, none of them had a written language.

Except the Caddo.

They wrote about the flood of 1500 so we would have something to compare it to in the 21st century and Bill Nye could stay relevant.

Probably wrote it in English.

A hundred and fifty years before anyone that spoke English showed up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, tous said:

Five hundred years ago, the sixteenth century, the area known as  Dallas was sparsely populated by Native Americans known as the Caddo.

Note that it is unlikely that they called themselves the Caddo people and as America did not exist, I suppose we must refer to them as 'those guys.'

It is fortunate that 'those guys' were able to accurately  record the effects of a natural disaster so that we can compare ours to theirs and positively determine that it could all be blamed on the internal combustion engine.and flatulent cowsies.

Cowsies may have been farting in the year 1500, but there were no automobiles or trucks.  Don't tell AlGore.  He'll accuse you of being a climate denier.

It is also fortunate that of nearly every indigenous group populating what we call North America at the time, none of them had a written language.

Except the Caddo.

They wrote about the flood of 1500 so we would have something to compare it to in the 21st century and Bill Nye could stay relevant.

Probably wrote it in English.

A hundred and fifty years before anyone that spoke English showed up.

Stop geeking tous.

Logic has no place in today's agenda.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It's getting worse... Sharks are 'walking' on land to survive the climate crisis: Species of carpet shark can spend up to 2 HOURS out of waters using its paddle shaped fins to escape warming in Pacific Ocean

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11142279/Sharks-walking-land-longer-survive-climate-crisis.html

It's been nine (9) million years in the making...

You know, because they kept records back then... :smiley1:

It's cooler out on land...

• Haha 4

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe I spoke too soon, now I'm looking at spaghetti models instead of lingerie models.. :sport-smiley-027:

"Somewhere" between Ft. Myers and the Big Bend means almost the entire Gulf Coast of Florida.

Tampa hasn't taken a direct hit in a hundred years, so it's overdue. Even a near miss at the wrong tide could send a massive storm surge up the bay, and there are signs in my neghborhood that tower high above the rooftops, warning how deep a storm surge could be here. But as usual, I just expect rain and wind, maybe a little power failure. :Alex:

6ujanh.jpg..6ujayo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 this morning in South East Palm Beach county, Gassed up the car, short wait at WAWA,  Publix is out of bottled water, the bread isle is semi devastated, big run in the wine isle... Waiting for the "word" on when we can close the shutters, Some time ago I bought 2 extra propane tanks, so 4 tanks of propane for the genny....BUT in 32 years of living is S FL, I personally have been very lucky...not much other than power outages, and some downed trees....Not Panicking, just getting ready......The "SPAGHETTI STRANDS" are all over the place...:angel:

You can tell the "newbies" to S FL THEY are in PANIC MODE...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAKA said:

9 this morning in South East Palm Beach county, Gassed up the car, short wait at WAWA, 

I went to a BucIee's (100+ gas pumps) in Texas, just a few hours before last year's ice storm was predicted to hit.

It was a huge indication of what a societal breakdown would look like.

I just sat and watched for a while.  Didn't even go in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Maybe I spoke too soon, now I'm looking at spaghetti models instead of lingerie models.. :sport-smiley-027:

"Somewhere" between Ft. Myers and the Big Bend means almost the entire Gulf Coast of Florida.

Tampa hasn't taken a direct hit in a hundred years, so it's overdue. Even a near miss at the wrong tide could send a massive storm surge up the bay, and there are signs in my neghborhood that tower high above the rooftops, warning how deep a storm surge could be here. But as usual, I just expect rain and wind, maybe a little power failure. :Alex:

6ujanh.jpg..6ujayo.jpg

Yea, the Atlantic got real active real fast. All but Ian aren't a threat, but next week ain't here either. If you are in the path, buckle up, or get somewhere the storm isn't. 

Take care.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Yea, the Atlantic got real active real fast. All but Ian aren't a threat, but next week ain't here either. If you are in the path, buckle up, or get somewhere the storm isn't. 

Take care.

From South Florida, where you gonna' go, the I 95 PARKING LOT?  In your EV :anim_rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DAKA said:

From South Florida, where you gonna' go, the I 95 PARKING LOT?  In your EV :anim_rofl2:

I don't EV, and if you do, you are in the right place. I'm sure Key West is full of them.

Yea, you are pretty well destined to ride it out on the end of a peninsula with no where to go. Just head for high ground, if there is any.

FWIW, I left Houma La. for crew change during an evac. Took TEN friggin hours to get to Alexandrea. I slept more than I drove. Pretty clear sailing after that, just a lot heavier than usual. HOT, slow, and gas lines were insane. Glad I could make Shreveport before gassing up. Needed it bad, too. On a normal trip, I could make it home with about 1/4 tank to spare. Was about 170 miles short.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

I don't EV, and if you do, you are in the right place. I'm sure Key West is full of them.

Yea, you are pretty well destined to ride it out on the end of a peninsula with no where to go. Just head for high ground, if there is any.

FWIW, I left Houma La. for crew change during an evac. Took TEN friggin hours to get to Alexandrea. I slept more than I drove. Pretty clear sailing after that, just a lot heavier than usual. HOT, slow, and gas lines were insane. Glad I could make Shreveport before gassing up. Needed it bad, too. On a normal trip, I could make it home with about 1/4 tank to spare. Was about 170 miles short.

NO EV's.... Not now, hopefully not ever for me...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

NO EV's.... Not now, hopefully not ever for me...

I'm sure they have a place. Right now isn't it in most cases. Undersupported, expensive, and pretty edgy. They certainly attract a niche crowd.

I'm looking forward to finding out just how much it costs to charge one. Folks act like it's free, and it may be in some cases, but from the VERY little I can find, and not having one to try it myself, they aren't that inexpensive to run. A little less than gasoline, but the difference will take a very long haul to make up for the the price and cost of operation. Then there is your time, the weather, and of course going places there is no charging.

There are four homes on the street I live on. If the first house were to get a supercharger, it would brown out the other three while it was being used. That from the electric suppler, they were in a very strong presence for a couple of months in the area. They upped the power supply for all the building going on.

I don't know the particulars, but know every pole was replaced with a taller on, every wire was replaced, and every service was updated. I didn't see if they were replacing transformers, but the guy said even with the upgrade, we'd brown out and they had no plans of feeding that kind of power out here, mostly because it was impossible right now with the current capacities.

• Like 2

Seems every year there are predictions that surpass those of the past, no matter the context. They usually fail to materialize. When I was doing oil refinery work in California years ago, we often were warned about "THE STORM OF THE CENTURY" that was going to make landfall in a few days. (If it was 'the storm of the century' how could it be that they supposedly were going to happen so often?)  Usually it was simply a regular rain storm. But liberals constantly need something to rail about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

Seems every year there are predictions that surpass those of the past, no matter the context. They usually fail to materialize. When I was doing oil refinery work in California years ago, we often were warned about "THE STORM OF THE CENTURY" that was going to make landfall in a few days. (If it was 'the storm of the century' how could it be that they supposedly were going to happen so often?)  Usually it was simply a regular rain storm. But liberals constantly need something to rail about.

I worked in Physics Research for Lockheed Martin specifically dealing with the Navy in Tactical Aircraft  electronics.  For most proposals we submitted offering new technology, I was tasked with both writing and determining what was real and what was bullshit being offered by suppliers.

I found that for the most part the people that were wrong most of the time were called "experts".  I began to realize that if an expert said it, it probably didn't or wouldn't exist, and they made grossly misleading claims for it.

One expert in Semiconductor Technology back during the advent of Transistors, wrote a book on Solid State Physics where he proclaimed that Silicon would never be able to compete with Germanium, as a basis for transistor technology.  He was adamant about this.  As we all know, he was wrong - very wrong- since almost all transistors turned to Silicon to minimize the temperature problems that plagued Germanium.

When I now see an expert quoted, I discount all he has to say.  

Experts are worse than Democrats!  They are wrong most of the time and the public only remembers the few times they are right.  I have more faith in Weather men's predictions.

• Like 2

There was a famous European mathematician, I cannot recall his name, that swore that powered flight with human passengers was impossible because he had done the math and his calculations proved his assertion.

The man continued to expound his theory even as aircraft were flying over his head.

Expert.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2