Almost A Century Old

Eric

• Administrators

This Duesenberg race car is almost a century old. It was powered by a supercharged dual overhead-cam 32-valve straight engine. Even back in the mid-twenties, Duesenbergs were running the Indy 500 with race average speeds over 100mph. This car was  built in 1930. The sound of that thing gives me goosebumps. I only wish they had enough room to open it up, in the video. Americans have always had a love affair with with fast cars.

FWIW, I'm not sure why they called it a 'Sprint Car', in the video description. There was no such thing back then. This car raced at The Brickyard and at similar venues.

https://revsinstitute.org/the-collection/1930-duesenberg-sprint-car/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That feller didn't get enough RPMs to cause a supercharger to supercharge and given the plume of blue smoke, I figure the spark plugs will be fouled in  about two more turns around that parking lot.

I would love to hear that engine at full song as well.

One aspect of humanity that I have always loved: 98% or the population, regardless of location or language, spend their lives  accepting things just the way they are.

And then there is that 2% that look at things and say, I can improve that.  I have a better idea.  :cheers:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1