We Was Stupid Kids

Maser

• Administrators

When I was in 4th grade, my oldest brother, who was in eighth grade, came home with a new word: Lesbian. He said that it meant that you like girls. My brothers and I walked around for days saying that we were Lesbians.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Eric said:

When I was on 4th grade, my oldest brother, who was in eighth grade, came home with a new word: Lesbian. He said that it meant that you like girls. My brothers walked around for days saying that we were Lesbians.

I think I was in sixth grade when I thought I was a "blesbean."  Alas, it would still be four more years before I would engage in munching of the rug to solidify my place in "blesbean" history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my town every kid knew how to swim, from very early ages.  I don't even remember how old I was when I learned how to swim, but It was around first or second grade at the very latest.

Prior to learning how to swim, I used to think that the water was a layer above air underneath.  I had no idea how I came to that belief, but it was belied the first time I went under the surface. at the city swimming pool.

Proficiency was gained by jumping into the Granite Quarries in the Summer.  My older sister would give me a ride there while she "sunbathed" and tried to attract boys. 

Every kid did it as a rite of passage and you made it to the edge by hook or crook.  Everyone I knew survived their water adventure.  We got pretty proficient at deep diving in the Quarries.  We would pick up a chunk of Granite and jump in while watching the sides of the quarry for glittering objects dropped in by the older kids.

When it got so cold you spasmed you dropped the Granite and prayed for air till you got back to the surface.  God, it was cold down there!

• Like 3

We had some books.

The poor man’s James Bond. Fireworks the Way Grandpa used to make them. The handbook of improvised munitions. And of course, The Anarchists Cookbook.

And between a drugstore, a chemical supply house and a ranch supply store we were making home made fireworks. And more. And we all still have all our fingers. Eardrums took a beating.

It was a different world back then. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

We had some books.

The poor man’s James Bond. Fireworks the Way Grandpa used to make them. The handbook of improvised munitions. And of course, The Anarchists Cookbook.

And between a drugstore, a chemical supply house and a ranch supply store we were making home made fireworks. And more. And we all still have all our fingers. Eardrums took a beating.

I wonder if Eric is related to William Powell.  :D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

We had some books.

My grandma used to drive my cousin and me to an old school bus on the side of US 278 outside Piedmont, AL to buy USDA M-80s in the half-gross boxes. Remember them? They were like the Murcan version of government cheese. :supergrin:

• Like 4

I thought Thelonious Monk was Felonious Monk.

I thought the A/C D/C lyrics "Dirty deeds Done dirt cheap" was the name of a rock band "Dirley Deeds and the Thunder Chiefs."

Three Dog NIght had the lyric, "Eli's comin', hide your heart, girl"

I thought it was "Eli's comin'  Hark you harkers."

That and many, many other incorrect song lyrcis .....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 8/23/2022 at 7:26 AM, gwalchmai said:

My grandma used to drive my cousin and me to an old school bus on the side of US 278 outside Piedmont, AL to buy USDA M-80s in the half-gross boxes. Remember them? They were like the Murcan version of government cheese. :supergrin:

Would like to have some “real” M-80s or some “real” Cherry Bombs. 

• Like 2

I made the mistake of believing that if I sent a note to Sheri Cheeseman professing my love for her it would remain our secret but instead she shared the note with the other 3rd graders in our classroom. I was the laughing stock of the class for several months. 

Hannie: Maybe this is the reason I don't approach and speak with beautiful women. It scarred me for life.

• Sad 3

• Administrators
14 hours ago, minervadoe said:

It might not have been just us.  In 2003, I saw a kid playing on a mock pirate ship in a park.  I guess he was imitating someone saying, "Shiver me timbers," by saying Shirley, lee timbers."

I still say it to bug my wife.

Ch_Zx9vVEAA9vnt.jpg

:greensupergrin:

• Haha 2