My reliable Honda

Silentpoet

Spoiler:  It didn't totally fix it. I ended up adjusting about half of the valves. Added about 4 gallons of ethanol free gas and a can of gumout fuel system cleaner.  It ran moderately horrible. It misfired on 2 or 3 cylinders. I thought maybe getting the fuel system more time to act and the vehicle more time to warmup would be a good idea.  I let it run for roughly 20 minutes. Then I drove it about a mile away and back.  Seemed to run smoother.  I shut it off so I could clear the error codes, when I went to start it the vehicle refused to start.  Yay me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Can't help but think that the fuel system is in a bad state. It is not that uncommon, some have had to replace the fuel lines. Not a happy thought.

Especially if there's sparks hitting the plugs. Unless the spark plugs are also in a bad state.

Fwiw, I use Sea Foam regularly. E-infused gasoline tends to gum things up.

Good luck, Silentpoet.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 8:49 AM, Ricordo said:

Can't help but think that the fuel system is in a bad state. It is not that uncommon, some have had to replace the fuel lines. Not a happy thought.

Especially if there's sparks hitting the plugs. Unless the spark plugs are also in a bad state.

Good luck, Silentpoet.

I’m going to go ahead and replace all 4 injectors.  Don’t know why it rotates the resized pictures. But that was today’s progress. Tore it all down and was going to try to clean the injectors, but it is just going to be easier to replace them all.B1C29161-E0D2-497E-AAB0-5ED691C2E612.jpeg.94e21d7256180686c04e6f435e79583f.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Dukenukem said:

So you got it back to normal operation yet or still having issues? 

Still having issues.  I ordered a sensor that went bad.  With it plugged in the car would only start with starter fluid.  Unplugged it and it would start right up.  Got a vacuum leak, but I have an idea to try in the morning.  I will then see how it runs.  Till I replace the sensor I don't want to drive it, so maybe driving it thursday.  The sensor should be here Wednesday.  I think it is much closer to being ready.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2022 at 6:49 AM, Ricordo said:

I've found that small engines are the worst offenders. Small carbs with tiny jets. Just worked on a friends pressure washer that wouldn't start. The float bowl had little round white globs in the bottom. One glob had been sucked up and plugged the main jet. This is almost a new pressure washer. 

Told him to use ethanol free gas and run the tank and carb dry before storage. Sea Foam seems to help.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Don’t even THINK about the bill for labor if you had gone through this paying a mechanic. 

Perhaps, but then maybe the mechanic has better knowledge of where to start............Maybe try a  Message Board for Honda?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

Perhaps, but then maybe the mechanic has better knowledge of where to start............Maybe try a  Message Board for Honda?

I have gone through just about any related message thread on FitFreak.  I can do the work part of being a mechanic, but the diagnostic knowledge is what I lack.  Part of the problem is it is just a 14-15 year old car and stuff wears out.  Lots of stuff.  Currently it will start cold and run, I think replacing the gasket and sensor should fix it.  The fuel pump is a cheap ass one from Amazon so it is probably a weak link, but it runs for now.  When I get a bit more money I will replace it with a better one from Orielly's with a warranty.  But you do the best you can within the budget you have. 

• Like 5

Sort of got it running, but it still has a vacuum leak.  Thought it was the intake plenum because when I sprayed there it affected the idle.  So I ordered an intake plenum gasket.  It was the #3 and #4 injectors leaking.  Further spray testing determined those 2 were the culprits after I replaced the gasket.  So I just finished working on the semi hot motor to get the intake manifold off so I can check those injectors. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silentpoet said:

Sort of got it running, but it still has a vacuum leak.  Thought it was the intake plenum because when I sprayed there it affected the idle.  So I ordered an intake plenum gasket.  It was the #3 and #4 injectors leaking.  Further spray testing determined those 2 were the culprits after I replaced the gasket.  So I just finished working on the semi hot motor to get the intake manifold off so I can check those injectors. 

Good luck, with that perseverance you'll get it done!   :highfive:

• Like 3