Having Surgery Tomorrow

Eric

• Administrators

I'm having a couple of hernias repaired tomorrow. It is an outpatient procedure and I should be back watching over things by late afternoon or early evening. Try not to burn the place down while I'm gone. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Inyo Tim said:

Hope things go well. I've been waiting 3 1/2 years to get a groin hernia repaired through the VA. First Covid delayed it and now the surgeon says I might be too old to risk the surgery. The hernia has gotten large. 

It’s taken me a couple of years to finally get it taken care of. The VA moves like a glacier.  Just about every VA doc and nurse I’ve dealt with have been good people, but the system is badly broken. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Best wishes and good luck.

You seem a tad optimistic on the recovery, but anesthesia makes me deathly ill, and doesn't wear off very well.

Anesthesia has different effects on different people and hopefully they give Eric some good drugs. The one I liked best was the general anesthetic where they tell you to count backwards and you go off the dreamland and they wake you up late and you feel fine. There was another drug they gave me when I had my first colonoscopy where I was awake but could feel anything and afterwards I felt fine. And another one where I couldn't remember them knocking me out. 

but the worst one was propofol which knocked me out and didn't make me sick but it took a long time to get over feeling drugged

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Anesthesia has different effects on different people and hopefully they give Eric some good drugs. The one I liked best was the general anesthetic where they tell you to count backwards and you go off the dreamland and they wake you up late and you feel fine. There was another drug they gave me when I had my first colonoscopy where I was awake but could feel anything and afterwards I felt fine. And another one where I couldn't remember them knocking me out. 

but the worst one was propofol which knocked me out and didn't make me sick but it took a long time to get over it.

Yea, it does different folks different.

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Wishing you the best outcome.

Still deadlifting locomotives, I presume?

I packaged a sixty pound server today, that I have to ship. It was bulky and awkward to deal with, but I got it done. I won't be doing any of that for a little while, I guess.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eric said:

I'm having a couple of hernias repaired tomorrow. It is an outpatient procedure and I should be back watching over things by late afternoon or early evening. Try not to burn the place down while I'm gone. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

Just had a catheter installed.  Take care my friend, don't sweat the little stuff.  (Hurts)

• Like 3

Best wishes, amigo.

How many months were you on the VA's "don't call us, but we'll lose your file" list?

Some illiterate fellow from Honduras can break into the country and get free, first-class medical care, food, housing and a stipend, but we veterans have to fill out endless forms and wait endless months.

I would, therefor, remind all illegal invaders, do not enlist in the military.

You are treated better as a law-breaker.

But, we got all of the bug juice we could drink, so there.

:biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

i did just a little bit of research on the hernia operation. I guess normally you are knocked out with a shot and the mask provides oxygen. The last surgeon I talked to (12 doctors involved so far) said no lifting for six weeks after the operation. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, tous said:

Best wishes, amigo.

How many months were you on the VA's "don't call us, but we'll lose your file" list?

Some illiterate fellow from Honduras can break into the country and get free, first-class medical care, food, housing and a stipend, but we veterans have to fill out endless forms and wait endless months.

I would, therefor, remind all illegal invaders, do not enlist in the military.

You are treated better as a law-breaker.

But, we got all of the bug juice we could drink, so there.

:biggrin:

The Squeaky Wheel approach helps. I really hate being that guy, but if you don't keep pushing, they forget you exist. It is damn frustrating.

I haven't forgotten either that the last time the VA operated on me, they almost killed me. They were doing an angiogram and managed to tear a hole in my right femoral artery. I lost about half my blood volume into my belly and groin, or so the surgeon who fixed things told me. The bruising was extensive and absolutely spectacular.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

I haven't forgetten either that the last time the VA operated on me, they almost killed me. They were doing an angiogram and managed to tear a hole in my right femoral artery. I lost about half my blood volume into my belly and groin, or so the surgeon who fixed things told me. The bruising was extensive and absolutely spectacular.

I don't believe VA doctors can be sued for malpractice. Where better for a brand new surgeon to learn his/her trade. Probably an experienced surgeon standing by if it is a first timer.

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Inyo Tim said:

I don't believe VA doctors can be sued for malpractice. Where better for a brand new surgeon to learn his/her trade. Probably an experienced surgeon standing by if it is a first timer.

I don’t worry about the new ones so much. It’s the ones that are still there because they are unemployable elsewhere that worry me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Professionals working for the Veteran's Administration can indeed be sued for malpractice, but considering that one is suing the Department of Defense, good luck.

They make us wait for treatment until we die; how long do you think they can drag out a lawsuit?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Inyo Tim said:

It probably is a better place.  My surgeon's first patient was me.  I still bear the scars and tribulations of that fiasco.  After the infection I found he did not believe in antibiotics.

• Like 2