Email Problems & Need Some Guinea Pigs

Eric

• Administrators

Hello all. The email situation for my server is getting worse and I am tryin g to get it dealt with. Several large ISPs are not accepting mail from my mailserver, without any explanation. I'm not listed on any RBLs. I don't know what the freaking problem is. Email config is a PITA.

I've gone in and flushed out all the old notification signups for threads and for when selected users post. As I'm sure most of you know, when you follow a thread or a user, you can get notifications at the top of the site and/or by email. The default setting has always been to receive email notifications, but those follow requests were not pruning themselves and a lot of extraneous email was getting sent. I went in and reset everyone's defaults to on-site notifications, but no email notifications. That clears the decks.

Now any or all of you are free to change your settings once again to receive notification emails, if you like. I also need at least a few of you to sign back up to receive email notifications so that there is renewed email traffic I can use to continue to diagnose the email delivery issues and resolve them. I really need at least one member each with Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud and the other top-level isp email systems, so I can test them each.

I also need a couple of volunteers who don't mind me generating test messages to them directly. I need at least one Yahoo email user andone GMail user. If there is anyone else who wouldn't mind helping who has an email account with another large ISP's email service. Please just let me know if you can help here in this thread, but DON'T post your email address here. If your member profile email address is correct, I can just grab it there. The messages will be short and few. I just need to get the email log file entries and bounced message data to help me figure things out.

For those of you who want to change your notification settings, click on the little arrow beside your name, at the top-left of the page:

Settings1.png

On the list that drops down, there are two links of interest to this discussion. The first is the Manage Followed Content link. If you ever want to go in and remove notifications from content or people you are following, that's the easiest place to do it.  The second link of interest is the Account Settings link. When you click on it, you go to a page with a lot of settings and info available. We are interested today though in the Notification Settings link, on the right side of the page.

Settings2.png

If you click that link, you are taken to a page where you can view and change the settings for every type of notification this site can generate. We are interested today in a couple of the area: The Mentions & My Content area and the Followed Content area. Under the first area, you can set the notifications for when someone mentions you or when they react with your content. You can choose Notifications List and/or Email. Notifications List gives you the little Notification at the top of the page. In this area, you can also set notifications for when people react to your content.

Settings3.png

In the Followed Content area, you set notifications for content and people you follow. You can choose to follow your own content automatically. If you do this and choose the email option, you can choose how often you receive email updates, from immediately, to once a week. You can also set notifications for content you click on to follow. There is an option there to only receive one notification email between visits, if you like.

Settings4.png

In most cases, you can choose the notifications options from a list when you click to follow a thread or person, but it is good to know how to change the default settings in your account area.

Keep in mind that any changes you make to Notification settings will not affect the settings of content you are already following. That is why it is good to know where to go to delete or modify settings for content you are already following.

Like I said, I could really use a hand, if some of you could go in and set up email notifications and follow some content. Also, if a few of you could volunteer to receive a few test emails from me directly. There won't be a lot of them.

Until I get this sorted out, if anyone has trouble logging in and needs to reset their password, that feature may or may not send the email to them successfully. It would be best if you contacted me directly, if you are having trouble logging in, or if there is any other support you need on the site. My email address is webmaster###l###theboresite.com. Just take out the hashtags and put in the @. FWIW, it's never a good idea to post an email adress in a public place. The internet is thick with bots that crawl pages and harvest them for email lists.

• Like 1

• Eric pinned this topic
  • Administrators
6 minutes ago, Hook said:

Is this how it’s supposed to be?

870A3876-A897-44F1-9C1B-29B81257AD61.png

C07BDC51-CE45-4BEF-ABBE-77D74376CF22.png

Looks good. The emails are not actually getting delivered to most folks right now. That's the problem. When they get generated though, having the log entries and bounce messages will help me to figure this mess out. I need steady email traffic to make that happen. Thanks for the help.

• Administrators

Hi guys. I actually woke up in the middle of the night with an idea where the problem might be and tested something on my iPad which let some mail through a bit. I haven’t solved the problem, but I now have its location nailed down pretty accurately. I imagine I’ll be able to resolve things today. I’ll post more when I know more.

If you still need a Yahoo account to send emails to, you can use mine.  Assuming that's the one in your records.  I don't even know how to see if that's the case.  It's been ages since I've gotten an email from here, but I think I did that (changed it from default).  Since I check in pretty regularly, I didn't feel like I needed emails.  

• Like 1

• Administrators

OK, I think [THINK!] it's fixed. The problem was some collateral BS from a previous mailserver upgrade, combined with some firewall settings. I believe I have it fixed though. Perhaps we could let things ride for the rest of the day and see if anything blows up. If not, you guys can ramp your email notifications back down to wherever you like them. Thanks again for everyone's help. I may still send out a test email or two, just to make sure. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Administrators
Just now, Cougar_ml said:

I just received an email at 11:55 to my yahoo account, so appears to work for me at the moment.

Good deal. I just put the finishing touches on what I think is the last config change needed. Let's see if everything holds together.

• Like 4

• Eric unpinned this topic