New Gas Station Lists Electricity Price Right Next To Gas

gwalchmai

I wonder how they'll deal with loiterers. Sign of the times, I guess...

https://www.thedrive.com/news/new-gas-station-lists-electricity-price-right-next-to-gas

One gas station in Denver is heralding the future by listing the price of electricity right next to the gas prices.

The station in question is operated by Choice Market. The brand uses a simple, minimalist logo and color scheme, and aims to deliver "Modern Convenience." It operates two convenience stores in addition to the gas station on Colfax Avenue in Denver.

In addition to gas pumps, the station features two high-speed 50 kW DC chargers. Each is fitted with both a standard CCS connector as well as a CHAdeMO plug for charging Nissan Leafs and the like. The station uses a Nissan Leaf as a delivery vehicle itself, meaning the CHAdeMO hook-up comes in handy.

As per reports on PlugShare, charging prices normally hover at around 15 cents per kilowatt-hour. It's highly competitive for the area, with others nearby charging significantly more. In any case, the large digital sign means you always know what you're going to get before you pull into charge.

"It's a pretty good rate, honestly, for charging up at 15 cents," says Chief Operating Officer of Choice Market Ben Kipfer. "It's something different and we want to get people inside the four walls, obviously, as well," he adds.

The brand focuses on healthy, high-quality food options. Combining a quality food offering with EV charging makes sense. According to Kipfer, typical users stop to charge for 30-50 minutes. It's then the aim of the convenience store to welcome those customers inside for a cup of coffee and a bite to eat.

"People walk in here, they always say, 'This is the nicest gas station I've ever been in,'" says Kipfer. "That grab and go case... all again, it's organic, non-GMO, and local. I think people love it," he adds.

Kipfer estimates around five to 1- cars come through to charge each day. Charging fees, "probably should be a little bit higher, to be honest with you," he says, but the charging isn't a loss leader by any means. "It is a profit center for us," says Kipfer.

For gas stations with EV chargers, it only makes sense to advertise the pricing. As chargers start to proliferate next to the pumps, expect more chains to follow the example set by Choice Market. And who knows? One day soon, we might just long for the days when you could get a kilowatt-hour of fresh electrons for just 15 cents on the dollar.

• Like 1

30 to 50 minutes to charge an EV to go 250 miles .........10 (?) minutes to "gas up" to go 450 miles !!

I'm not ready to go EV, I "might" be convinced to go HYBRID **IF** the vehicle If like becomes available as such  (Porsche Macan S, we are on our second lease

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, DAKA said:

30 to 50 minutes to charge an EV to go 250 miles .........10 (?) minutes to "gas up" to go 450 miles !!

I'm not ready to go EV, I "might" be convinced to go HYBRID **IF** the vehicle If like becomes available as such  (Porsche Macan S, we are on our second lease

Hybrids are pretty good these days. I'd have one, and shopped for one for six years before opting for another brand last September. I got what I wanted, an all wheel drive SUV, small, and get the same mileage I got from my older Camry, so all's well. Still would like to have the +10 MPG of the hybrid, but no one could produce one I wanted it seems.

Just like everything else EV's and hybrids have there own quirks and problems. I don't think people are really ready for EV in most cases, and sure aren't ready for the cost when it gets down to it. Time being one of the costs. 

Getting ready to take a 3-5K mile trip next month.  We will use the wife's diesel car that goes gets about 600 miles to a tank.  No need to take a 1 hr break every 200 - 300 miles.

When batteries get comparable to ICE then I will switch not until.  Life is getting too short to spend hours in Junk food markets while on a trip.  

• Like 1

I was getting my wifes car detailed last Friday. While I was waiting the crew brough a Tesla with New Jersey plates around to the covered area where they do the windows and such. I noticed that this Tesla had a receiver for a trailer hitch. I thought that kind of add

The owner of the car was standing next to me and I asked him about his Tesla.  He had just moved to Texas from New Jersey and had pulled a U Haul trailer with it. I asked him how it pulled. He said it pulled just fine, but sure went through the batteries fast. He then proceeded to tell my how much the trip Sucked and that he was going to dump the Tesla and get something that burned gasoline.

My doctor, who is also a friend of the family, has a Tesla. He drives it every day to his office where there are charging stations, so the car works for him, but he also is the first to tell you that when he and his wife want to go anywhere, they take her gas burner.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/new-gas-station-lists-electricity-price-right-next-to-gas

One gas station in Denver is heralding the future by listing the price of electricity right next to the gas prices.

The station in question is operated by Choice Market. The brand uses a simple, minimalist logo and color scheme, and aims to deliver "Modern Convenience." It operates two convenience stores in addition to the gas station on Colfax Avenue in Denver.

In addition to gas pumps, the station features two high-speed 50 kW DC chargers. Each is fitted with both a standard CCS connector as well as a CHAdeMO plug for charging Nissan Leafs and the like. The station uses a Nissan Leaf as a delivery vehicle itself, meaning the CHAdeMO hook-up comes in handy.

As per reports on PlugShare, charging prices normally hover at around 15 cents per kilowatt-hour. It's highly competitive for the area, with others nearby charging significantly more. In any case, the large digital sign means you always know what you're going to get before you pull into charge.

"It's a pretty good rate, honestly, for charging up at 15 cents," says Chief Operating Officer of Choice Market Ben Kipfer. "It's something different and we want to get people inside the four walls, obviously, as well," he adds.

The brand focuses on healthy, high-quality food options. Combining a quality food offering with EV charging makes sense. According to Kipfer, typical users stop to charge for 30-50 minutes. It's then the aim of the convenience store to welcome those customers inside for a cup of coffee and a bite to eat.

"People walk in here, they always say, 'This is the nicest gas station I've ever been in,'" says Kipfer. "That grab and go case... all again, it's organic, non-GMO, and local. I think people love it," he adds.

Kipfer estimates around five to 1- cars come through to charge each day. Charging fees, "probably should be a little bit higher, to be honest with you," he says, but the charging isn't a loss leader by any means. "It is a profit center for us," says Kipfer.

For gas stations with EV chargers, it only makes sense to advertise the pricing. As chargers start to proliferate next to the pumps, expect more chains to follow the example set by Choice Market. And who knows? One day soon, we might just long for the days when you could get a kilowatt-hour of fresh electrons for just 15 cents on the dollar.

Electricity prices will go up once everyone starts driving EV's and we don't start building new power plants NOW in anticipation of the demand and not only will the price of electricity go up, but as there isn't enough to meet the demand, electricity will have to be rationed.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Electricity prices will go up once everyone starts driving EV's and we don't start building new power plants NOW in anticipation of the demand and not only will the price of electricity go up, but as there isn't enough to meet the demand, electricity will have to be rationed.

Yep.  That's one reason getting solar and a couple of Tesla Power Walls is on my list of things to do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Nothing mentions about safety but I would hope the 50kW DC chargers are located some distance for the gasoline fueling.  One malfunction or battery fire and poof.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

Nothing mentions about safety but I would hope the 50kW DC chargers are located some distance for the gasoline fueling.  One malfunction or battery fire and poof.

They would have to be at least a small distance from the gas pumps. For no other reason than to keep the charging stations from gumming up the gas pumps. 

Yea, even a small arc would not be fun with gas vapors around. 

When people end up waiting an hour or three to pull up and spend 30 minutes to an hour to charge their own, it will wear thin in a hurry.

• Like 2