this sucks.

Hook

55 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Guaranteed he was on meds. But no one wants to talk about that. 

I was actually talking with my mom about this earlier.  I mentioned how most of the mass shooters have been on some sort of meds.  We were talking about my brother and his ongoing issues of being stuck in the past.  She mentioned that the VA upped his depression meds.  He is a non combat vet before you ask.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Guaranteed he was on meds. But no one wants to talk about that. 

Right....It's NOT A MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEM     :chatter:

Who does that, certainly not a "well" person.... What is the previous history?   NO indicators ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Used to be fairly common. Not so much now. 

I did some research on life spans of people way back when. It was said that infant mortality was the main reason life spans were shorter. If you made it past infancy, you had a good chance to live a fairly long life. I think this is why the large families. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

While it may not be the norm these days, many of us came from large families. Also tons of cousins. Had a dozen kids in our house when I was growing up. 

When my grandparents were having families, the young ones soon began contributing to family welfare, which was necessary in subsistence farming and similar rural pursuits. Clerking and stocking shelves in family owned stores, helping in shops… Some uncles dropped out of high school to help on the farm. Schools often closed for harvest and/or planting seasons. No electricity, basic coal oil lamps thus night time reading and studying was difficult, battery radio if they had one at all, no television… Adult entertainment was limited… The Good Book told believers to be fruitful and multiply.

With changes from manual labor, often in an apprentice style arrangement, to mental labor  children no longer were productive family members at an early age but financial burdens until adult hood and independence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1