Another phrase I’m going to hate.

Batesmotel

Up-Style. Or Styled or styling. 

To Up-Style something is to use it for a purpose other than it’s original one and think it is now trendy and REALLY valuable.

Like take a broken dresser, throw out the drawers, give it an intentionally bad coat of paint, call it a storage cabinet and charge $400 for it.

It’s here already. Brought to you by a unemployed, man-bun wearing hipster in skinny jeans, riding a scooter with a fancy $12 cup of coffee. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

as annoying as  "upcycled" (what the hell as wrong with recycled?).

That’s what hoarders do. Like a normal person takes a broken ironing board and recycles the metal. A hoarder throws a blanket over it and calls it an upcycled table. 

• Like 1

A useless bias on my part.

”Unique” means… well, unique - only one of these whatever it may be.

Each horse race winner is unique, but the race had several also runs  

Thus something cannot be very unique etc.

Something can be almost unique etc. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Deep dive

My wife HATES that one.

She works in tech. Deep Dive usually means we will spend massive amounts of manpower analyzing a problem, assign blame for the problem but never actually fix the problem. Just spent more time finding a workaround to the problem. 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 1:18 PM, Batesmotel said:

Can anything be more condescending?

Usually applies to times you are being screwed over. 

That sounds like where I work. We're 2 years into a plan they claimed was to let us set up our area in a way that best suits us. Of course we're told by people at the regional level what that is. We can't even even decide what tool goes in what drawer. Micromanagement at its finest.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, jfost11 said:

That sounds like where I work. We're 2 years into a plan they claimed was to let us set up our area in a way that best suits us. Of course we're told by people at the regional level what that is. We can't even even decide what tool goes in what drawer. Micromanagement at its finest.

I had to deal with something like that once. A VP laid out our new shop and thereby our workflow. Electronic manufacturing. Every tool. Every piece of material. She laid it out so it was convenient for her to do surprise walkthroughs to catch us not working or stealing materials.

It was unbelievably inefficient but OSHA had a fit when they inspected after my boss got hurt. Stairs were blocked by a pallet of wire that wasn’t logged into inventory yet. She wanted to be able to see the pallet from the main hallway.

We were allowed to move most of the workstations after that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's one I'm hating more by the week. Root cause analysis. They want us all involved in a discussion with a big board to fill out to determine why something failed. Yet every single time after the mechanics give their reasons and answer all the "whys", a manager pulls something out of left field and deems that the reason for failure. Then management makes a mechanic responsible for notifying the rest of the department so corporate can see we're all on board.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1