I think I broke my finger.

Huaco Kid

I renewed a government id/security card I've got.  I have to show it occasionally at jobsites.

It's got a magnetic stripe and a chip.  The highly trained security personnel glance at it, and hand it back.  They've never swiped or inserted it.

Because I carry it everywhere, I'd rather have those features disabled, in case it's lost/stolen, as was my last card.

So, after a tragic canoe accident, where the chip got smacked between two hard surfaces, it's likely dysfunctional.

I've got a neodymium magnet, 2" square,  which is insanely strong.  It was sitting on my desk,  and my card started, accidentally, rubbing against it.

• Like 1

Then I remembered that I also have two 1" magnets,  in a special isolating box.  They are stuck together,  but separated by a 1/2" plastic frame.  I figured I could sandwich the card between the magnets, and store it on the side of the refrigerator,  so I wouldn't lose it.

So, I was getting the 1" magnets out of the box.

The 2"'er,  that was, easily, a foot away, jumped up, went supersonic, and SMACKED into my hand. In one microsecond.

• Sad 1

Now all the magnets are insanely pinching meaty parts of my fingers and hand.  I tried to scream,  but nothing came out.  I almost barfed.  And there's huge globs of blood going everywhere.

My middle finger was bent around, in an impossible way,  and also snapped into place.  I'm about to pass out, with a psycho-amount of blood all around.

I had to stumble around,  and I found a screwdriver.  But no hammer.  I had lay on the floor,  so my hand would go into the right position, and hammered the screwdriver with a 10lb dumbbell.

That hurt more than the initial impact. And took several minutes to get it to work.  With silent screams.

I think my finger is broke.

And the magnets,  that will probably never come apart again, have huge chunks of my bloody meat trapped between them.

I did not see that coming.  It looks like Michael Myers was here.

Fck those magnets.

• Sad 1

My son and I built a large jewelry box with a magnetic lock. Those neodymium magnets are nasty. We shattered one in our first experiment with the locking mechanism. The mechanism wasn’t installed on the box for the first trial. The magnets just bent the locking rod and smashed together. 

Get well soon. 

When I first got the 2"'er,  I stuck it to the basement ductwork,   because I thought it was a good place to keep it.

It took 3' channel-locks to get it off.

Then I kept it deeply wrapped in bubble-wrap, in a cardboard box.

And now the channel-locks are magnetized.

• Haha 1

After my last surgery, right across my chest,  a long time ago,  I was recovering at home.

Some idiot left my CB antenna in the driveway,  and my wife ran over it.  Crushed.

It was trash,  but still had a magnificent magnet on  it.  (just one of the regular big gray ones). 

I took it apart,  because you never want to waste a good magnet.

I decided that it would be a good idea to store it on the basement ductwork.

So I had it in my hand,  raising my arm up... 

When it got 6" from the ductwork,  it went "SNAP", and ripped my whole arm and body up with it.

So all my stitches ripped, and I started bleeding through my shirt.

I didn't see that coming, either.

15 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

After my last surgery, right across my chest,  a long time ago,  I was recovering at home.

Some idiot left my CB antenna in the driveway,  and my wife ran over it.  Crushed.

It was trash,  but still had a magnificent magnet on  it.  (just one of the regular big gray ones). 

I took it apart,  because you never want to waste a good magnet.

I decided that it would be a good idea to store it on the basement ductwork.

So I had it in my hand,  raising my arm up... 

When it got 6" from the ductwork,  it went "SNAP", and ripped my whole arm and body up with it.

So all my stitches ripped, and I started bleeding through my shirt.

I didn't see that coming, either.

This kinda' stuff happen to you a lot ?

On 6/26/2022 at 12:46 AM, Huaco Kid said:

I'm not going to dick with these magnets any more.

There's not really anything to do with them,  but stick them to the fridge,  where they'll never come off.

And crush the **** out of your fingers.

Keep the smaller magnets away from children. If two such magnets, swallowed at different times, get close to one another in the digestive tract they will clamp together. 

• Like 1