BATTERY OPERATED VEHICLES

DAKA

This is good BUT,,,Don't most EV's go more than 150 miles?  AND, he doesn't mention scrapping the vehicles...Both EV's and ICE's get scrapped, and the steel (etc) get recycled BUT what about SCRAPPING  THE BATTERIES ?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

Old fashioned lead acid batteries are recycled. But these new lithium batteries? Can they ever be recycled??

Can they be? Yes. Is it a more complicated, and costly process that results in it not being done completely, or even at all in some places? Yes.

• Like 1

No, I don't believe "most" EV's go over 125 miles on a charge, but they are multiplying in a hurry.  That wasn't the comparison though. His data was based on a 125 mile charge car, showing the longer range cars making for more pollution than the gas powered counterparts. Just in a different place and not out of the tailpipe.

Electric may well be the future, but it has failed a few times in the past. With the tech we have now, it isn't practical, sustainable, or even workable on a large scale. Not enough charging stations, or energy to feed them on a grand scale. Still too expensive to operate, make, and maintain. There is a large "penalty" in the production, maintenance, and recycling of the solar and wind power. It isn't happening at all just yet.

That doesn't address the problem of time. It takes a long time to charge one. Charging out of home is rather expensive. Lots of folks tell me how cheap they are to charge, but I wonder if they even own one, because the structure to charge a Tesla, even over night, is  pretty steep and high voltage, the kind not normally seen in residential service. Probably just parroting what they have been told to parrot.

Hybrid is pretty good any more and should be improved. In the same note, IC engines aren't even close to their potential. Interesting views for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

No, I don't believe "most" EV's go over 125 miles on a charge, but they are multiplying in a hurry.  That wasn't the comparison though. His data was based on a 125 mile charge car, showing the longer range cars making for more pollution than the gas powered counterparts. Just in a different place and not out of the tailpipe.

Electric may well be the future, but it has failed a few times in the past. With the tech we have now, it isn't practical, sustainable, or even workable on a large scale. Not enough charging stations, or energy to feed them on a grand scale. Still too expensive to operate, make, and maintain. There is a large "penalty" in the production, maintenance, and recycling of the solar and wind power. It isn't happening at all just yet.

That doesn't address the problem of time. It takes a long time to charge one. Charging out of home is rather expensive. Lots of folks tell me how cheap they are to charge, but I wonder if they even own one, because the structure to charge a Tesla, even over night, is  pretty steep and high voltage, the kind not normally seen in residential service. Probably just parroting what they have been told to parrot.

Hybrid is pretty good any more and should be improved. In the same note, IC engines aren't even close to their potential. Interesting views for sure.

I'm sorry, but you're missing the most important point. Why isn't our government pushing hybrid cars instead of all electric? That would make a lot more sense.

Because hybrids make their own electricity and with the government shutting down coal fired plants at an alarming rate, and at the same time not building any new power plants in anticipation of a greatly increased demand once plug-in vehicles are mandated and better ones are developed, as long as they keep shutting down power plants and not building new ones, this will guarantee that there will be critical shortages of electricity resulting in a justification for "Emergency measures" and emergency powers

And these people know that without creating creating a national disaster there can be no "Fundamental Transformation" of the USA until the existing country as we know it is completely destroyed which they are now accomplishing piecemeal. This "Fundamental Transformation" and Never letting a Crisis go to waste" is the Obama agenda from A to Z and the entire Biden/Harris administration are just a clueless passel of stooges carrying it out.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I'm sorry, but you're missing the most important point. Why isn't our government pushing hybrid cars instead of all electric?

Because hybrids make their own electricity and with the government shutting down coal fired plants at an alarming rate, and at the same time not building any new power plants in anticipation of a greatly increased demand once plug-in vehicles are mandated and better ones are developed, as long as they keep shutting down power plants and not building new ones, this will guarantee that there will be critical shortages of electricity resulting in a justification for "Emergency measures" and emergency powers.

They know what they're doing, even though most of us don't, because it makes absolutely no sense except that there can be no "Fundamental Transformation" of the USA until the existing country as we know it is completely destroyed. This "Fundamental Transformation" is the Obama agenda and the entire Biden/Harris administration are just a clueless passel of stooges carrying it out.

They are willing accomplices. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DAKA said:

This is good BUT,,,Don't most EV's go more than 150 miles?  AND, he doesn't mention scrapping the vehicles...Both EV's and ICE's get scrapped, and the steel (etc) get recycled BUT what about SCRAPPING  THE BATTERIES ?

Harry Cockburn
Wed, June 15, 2022, 4:50 AM·3 min read

Thirteen separate leaks were spotted coming from Russia’s largest coal mine (GHGSat)

Thirteen separate leaks were spotted coming from Russia’s largest coal mine (GHGSat)

A Russian coal mine has been named as the source of the biggest methane leak ever detected.

New satellite observations show Raspadskya mine, in central Russia’s Kemerovo Oblast, has 13 separate methane plumes leaking massive amounts of the explosive greenhouse gas in one of largest "ultra emission" events ever traced to a verified source.

Raspadskya is Russia’s largest coal mine and opened in 1973.

According to Canadian company GHGSat, which provides the UN with emissions data and works with the European Space Agency, the mine is leaking 90 tonnes of methane every hour.

https://news.yahoo.com/largest-ever-methane-leak-detected-095009732.html

7 hours ago, jfost11 said:

And of course no mention of the toxic effects from the solar or wind turbine parts production process. Nor the emissions from the massive diesel equipment in all of those mines.

The claim for windmills is that they are lasting 1/2 of the projected lifetime.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Recent newscast (1 week ago) from CA says that with the increased cost of gasoline ($7 per gallon), that the quick charge offered in some locations for electric vehicles, is costing those drivers more than the cost of the inflated price of filling a gasoline powered car.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I'm sorry, but you're missing the most important point. Why isn't our government pushing hybrid cars instead of all electric? That would make a lot more sense.

I don't think that was the presenters point, but if it was, OK. He noted the hybrid tech. Did you bother watching, or just going your own way?

It wasn't mine.

1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

I don't think that was the presenters point, but if it was, OK. He noted the hybrid tech. Did you bother watching, or just going your own way?

It wasn't mine.

In my opinion, the presenter is missing the most important point. Yes, he did make a passing mention of hybrids, but not as a far more legitimate and sensible alternative to EV's. No matter how advanced EV technology becomes, an all electric vehicle is useless as transportation if there's hardly enough generating capacity on the national grid to meet the current demand at the same time power plants are being shut down and no new ones are being built.

And this brings up and even more important question. Are we letting this country be run by people who are totally ignorant and short-sighted, or horribly corrupt? Or, do we just not care about things like that?

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Borg warner said:

In my opinion, the presenter was missing the most important point. Yes he did make a passing mention of Hybrids, but not as a far more legitimate alternative to EV's. No matter how advanced EV technology becomes, an all electric vehicle is useless as transportation if there's hardly enough generating capacity on the national grid to meet the current demand at the same time power plants are being shut down and no new ones are being built.

And this brings up and even more important question. Are we letting this country be run by people who are totally ignorant and short-sighted, or horribly corrupt? Or, do we just not care about things like that?

We are being taught ignorance and belief in government.  We have lost the ability to reason for ourselves.  The government has bought the people with their own money.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, janice6 said:

The claim for windmills is that they are lasting 1/2 of the projected lifetime.

It's been a while since I read anything about it but, I seem to remember the talking points comparing conventional power generation costs over their lifetime vs. wind always left out the fact that planned wind turbine lifespans were only half of what coal or gas fired power plants were. So the real cost was actually double the advertised and that's only IF they lasted as long as they were claimed to.

• Like 3