Modern Tech Support

Eric

• Administrators

I was just on the phone with the tech support department for a major domain name registrar. As much fun as these calls always are, this one had the added bonus of dogs barking AND roosters crowing loudly in the background. The din was so loud that I had to ask 'Rachel' to repeat what she said over and over. I can't tell you how reassuring it is to be on the phone with the duly appointed representative of a Fortune 500 Internet company and having to compete with chickens and other barnyard dwellers for her attention. Judging by the program function issues I called in about, the critters might have been part of the development team. Some days, I don't know whether to laugh or start throwing heavy objects.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

IT support is lacking, at the very best. All those "Timmy's" are working from home thanks to the global pandemic, and they just never went back to the office. Probably much more convenient for them. Not so much for the consumer, dealing with shabby to non existent support and crappy phone service and their internet connections.

Pretty bad, and the companies have no concern about it at all. Reading through the flash cards is all they know. Forget any cognitive support. Sounds like you managed.

• Like 2

Sounds like my issue with an Amazon driver last week.  For the first time EVER, I had an Amazon driver unable to find where my house is.  I get a message on the Amazon app about how they are lost and need directions.  I see where they are on the map and they were literally the next street over and I message them back telling them that.  I then notice on the map they are heading towards my house so I left it at that.  I then get a call not from the driver, but from someone who clearly is working from home because all I hear in the background is an overly loud TV and very young sounding kids being loud.  And the caller himself spoke with an accent I've never heard before.  Sounded like some weird amalgamation of Hispanic and Middle Eastern.  After done with him, I check the map and the driver has just gave up and is driving back to their HQ or whatever.  I said **** it and just cancelled the order.  Up until that point, I have had a perfect experience with them.  :(

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

But did you try turning it off and back on again?

The Internet? I couldn’t reach the switch. I just kicked the everloving **** out of it and it started working again.

Some machines respond to violence.

Some don't.

Eric, at least you didn't get a robot customer service application.

I have experienced this a couple of times and it did not end well for me.

Getting a human to speak with is harder than untying the Gordian knot.

I'm stuck at the Atlanta airport until 9am tomorrow,  after a missed connection due to Delta's excellent mechanical maintenance.

The very best their customer assistance can do is tell you they are out of comp'd hotel rooms and say, "I'm sorry."

"Sorry."

(got to see one guy flip out, and go berserk, and the cops got him.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eric said:

I can't tell you how reassuring it is to be on the phone with the duly appointed representative of a Fortune 500 Internet company and having to compete with chickens and other barnyard dwellers for her attention.

Be patient. Under New Reality 0.9 many jobs are not paying what they once did and many workers are having to double up. Tech support is often coexisting with farm-phone sex in order to accommodate Prices 1.0 . At least they ain't out stealin'...

Now my neck and back and shoulders are permanently ruined, by sleeping in a nook where I was out-of-the-way,  with my back to a wall.  (the MARTA has a station at the airport.  The homeless invade because they know everyone has money and cigarettes.  It's really kind of dangerous. (one guy had an ankle bracelet on))

Kind of like being in jail......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I'm stuck at the Atlanta airport until 9am tomorrow,  after a missed connection due to Delta's excellent mechanical maintenance.

The very best their customer assistance can do is tell you they are out of comp'd hotel rooms and say, "I'm sorry."

"Sorry."

(got to see one guy flip out, and go berserk, and the cops got him.)

At least he won't have to sleep in the airport.:|

• Administrators
20 hours ago, tous said:

Some machines respond to violence.

Some don't.

Eric, at least you didn't get a robot customer service application.

I have experienced this a couple of times and it did not end well for me.

Getting a human to speak with is harder than untying the Gordian knot.

A swift kick to things that don't work is pretty much my go-to opening move. :greensupergrin:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eric said:

A swift kick to things that don't work is pretty much my go-to opening move. :greensupergrin:

I prefer to begin with metal tools after trying verbal abuse, working my way up from moderate to giant if the machine fails to respond.

If that fails -- a foot to the thing is warranted.

When in doubt, get a bigger hammer -- and then a foot.

:biggrin:

• Administrators
Just now, tous said:

I prefer to begin with metal tools after trying verbal abuse, working my way up from moderate to giant if the machine fails to respond.

If that fails -- a foot to the thing is warranted.

When in doubt, get a bigger hammer -- and then a foot.

:biggrin:

I like to bring the pain, right out of the gate. Very often the pain ends up being mine, but progress usually gets made either way. 

• Like 1

I spent a very long day trying to get AT&T support on an issue last year.  I kept getting connected to support representatives who had sub standard cell phone connections.  WTF? it was bad enough that they  lied about the service they were going to switch me into, but couldn't they at least have had professional equipment.  It just sounded like some poorly trained lady sitting at home trying to get commissions by slamming people into upgrades that she could not properly explain.  I had to ask one of them if this was actually AT&T support and she just hung up on me.

Its a far cry from the days where I did phone support and had six months of training before they put me on the phones.   I even had to wear a tie.  :rolleyes:.

But hearing roosters and dogs in the background just takes it to a whole new subterranean level.

• Like 1

Being retired and somewhat handy with my hands, I frequently get invited to help the library assemble some kit furniture they have purchased. Often I can get my daughter to help.

Most of these kits are made from particle board or MDF - medium-density fiberboard.

In both materials disassembly and reassembly is problematic. Screws hold one time at best.

Most recently were computer stands for their lab. We assembled modules of MFD which were self standing and relatively easily moved, and we worked with the design information given.

Visited later and was told they had changed their plans, and thus took some drawer slides off and then couldn’t fasten them back.

I just silently shook my head. 

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Being retired and somewhat handy with my hands, I frequently get invited to help the library assemble some kit furniture they have purchased. Often I can get my daughter to help.

Most of these kits are made from particle board or MDF - medium-density fiberboard.

In both materials disassembly and reassembly is problematic. Screws hold one time at best.

Most recently were computer stands for their lab. We assembled modules of MFD which were self standing and relatively easily moved, and we worked with the design information given.

Visited later and was told they had changed their plans, and thus took some drawer slides off and then couldn’t fasten them back.

I just silently shook my head. 

It seems like there should be an engineered material somewhere between MDF and Oriented-Strand Board.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

It seems like there should be an engineered material somewhere between MDF and Oriented-Strand Board.

Particle board may fit that definition. It doesn’t hold screws much if any better than MDF and doesn’t machine as well. 

E10B026B-E99A-4378-A7EA-CF9AA2786EBE.jpeg

• Administrators
1 minute ago, railfancwb said:

Particle board may fit that definition. It doesn’t hold screws much if any better than MDF and doesn’t machine as well. 

E10B026B-E99A-4378-A7EA-CF9AA2786EBE.jpeg

Both products need some longer fibers added to them, to reenforce them.