I bought a new car!

kerbie18

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

For MOST of the drivers that I have encountered lately THAT IS A GOOD THING

Most aren't interested in learning to drive anyway. They are too involved in everything but what they are doing, and forget about teaching them responsibility or ownership, that would be unheard of and hurt their feels.

Reminds me of this guy.

32 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

and forget about teaching them responsibility or ownership, that would be unheard of and hurt their feels.

Which is, kind of, (I learned it from Dad) why I bought neither kid a car.  They worked after school and weekends.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 1:38 PM, kerbie18 said:

In my line of work, I've had the opportunity to study vehicle safety technology in great detail. This thing is loaded with it. "Seat belt pretensioners" that pull all the seat belts snug during an accident. Six different dual stage airbags, which can deploy with a varying amount of force depending on the situation. The car will call 911 on it's own if the airbags deploy. If the airbags deploy, the car will wait a few seconds for the accident to be over with, and unlock all the doors to make it easier to rescue you. 

The car has automatic emergency braking. If a pedestrian runs out in front of you, it doesn't wait for your puny human reaction time, it applies the brakes itself. If you are forgetful and leave a child in the back seat, it has sensors for that, and it will remind you of that. If you are sitting at a light that turns green, and you don't get moving forward, it reminds you that you should probably get going. If you wander across the double yellow line possibly into oncoming traffic, it warns you to stay in your lane. The list goes on and on. 

None of that is good. Engineering to the lowest common denominator just weakens the entire species.

2 hours ago, M&P15T said:

None of that is good. Engineering to the lowest common denominator just weakens the entire species.

Yea, stupid should hurt. Unfortunately stupid doesn't only effect the stupid, especially when half a$$ed piloting a 3K pound missile.

kerbie is worried about one kid. The rest of them, and the adults running around just as oblivious, or worse, entitled are much worse. Sounds like she will at least answer for some shortcomings.

• Thanks 1

For the record, I will still teach her how to "actually drive". The definition of what that means changes with the times. For example, this little bitty car has a manual mode, where you can manually shift gears. No, there is no clutch, but you can teach the concept of gears. You can teach the value of downshifting. You can turn off the electronic skid control and allow a new driver to experience a little sliding around, maybe understand how to control that.

I also have access to older and harder to drive vehicles if we get crazy.

• Like 1