I bought a new car!

kerbie18

I needed to add a new car to my selection due to the fact that I have a daughter starting to drive. An easy beginner car.

Holy tap dancing Jesus, this little car is high tech. You can control it from your smart phone. Someone steals your car? No problem, pull out your phone and turn off the engine.

2022-Kia-Rio-side_14960_001_2400x1800_UD.webp

20220519_114156.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

Just remember that anything you can do with your phone ap, someone can hack and do the same thing.  :)

Well yes, it asks you for the VIN number and a verification number within the car itself. Not terribly easy to hack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kerbie18 said:

Well yes, it asks you for the VIN number and a verification number within the car itself. Not terribly easy to hack.

But....you can look in the windshield and read the vin. any good hacker will have a random number.  Just saying. Technology is a two edged sword.

Then there is always the systems they are testing that if you do not have your car inspected (some states require) or if you throw a check engine code the DMV can put your car in limp mode.    

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

But....you can look in the windshield and read the vin. any good hacker will have a random number.  Just saying. Technology is a two edged sword.

Then there is always the systems they are testing that if you do not have your car inspected (some states require) or if you throw a check engine code the DMV can put your car in limp mode.    

Meh, depending on the offence, the car will put itself in limp mode for a check engine. 

Take care of your business for the inspection thing. People tend to "forget", but that may have been solved to an extent, with states requiring proof of inspection before registering. No telling how many running around with expired plates though. I won't even start on insurance, which is logged into a data base now anyway. 

The right people can shut you down in line of sight now. They don't, very often, but have the capability. Starlink (Subaru) and OnStar (Chevrolet), and Toyota Safety Connect, and I'm sure every other maker with such type program will do it, and even unlock your door if you leave the keys in the car, or find you the nearest 4 star+ Chinese resteraunt. It isn't new, but sounds like KIA isn't charging for the service.

It is getting  hard to hide from Big Brother.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

I'm certain that my next vehicle will have mechanical door locks and roll-up windows.

Good luck finding them. They have been hens teeth for decades now. Last I heard, you had to special order to get them, and that was 15-20 years ago. My how time flys.

9 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I'm certain that my next vehicle will have mechanical door locks and roll-up windows.

Several years ago I had a friend that wanted one like that.  He ended up with a Chevy spark.  Fun watching him get in and out because he was a big guy.

In my line of work, I've had the opportunity to study vehicle safety technology in great detail. This thing is loaded with it. "Seat belt pretensioners" that pull all the seat belts snug during an accident. Six different dual stage airbags, which can deploy with a varying amount of force depending on the situation. The car will call 911 on it's own if the airbags deploy. If the airbags deploy, the car will wait a few seconds for the accident to be over with, and unlock all the doors to make it easier to rescue you. 

The car has automatic emergency braking. If a pedestrian runs out in front of you, it doesn't wait for your puny human reaction time, it applies the brakes itself. If you are forgetful and leave a child in the back seat, it has sensors for that, and it will remind you of that. If you are sitting at a light that turns green, and you don't get moving forward, it reminds you that you should probably get going. If you wander across the double yellow line possibly into oncoming traffic, it warns you to stay in your lane. The list goes on and on. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

In my line of work, I've had the opportunity to study vehicle safety technology in great detail. This thing is loaded with it. "Seat belt pretensioners" that pull all the seat belts snug during an accident. Six different dual stage airbags, which can deploy with a varying amount of force depending on the situation. The car will call 911 on it's own if the airbags deploy. If the airbags deploy, the car will wait a few seconds for the accident to be over with, and unlock all the doors to make it easier to rescue you. 

The car has automatic emergency braking. If a pedestrian runs out in front of you, it doesn't wait for your puny human reaction time, it applies the brakes itself. If you are forgetful and leave a child in the back seat, it has sensors for that, and it will remind you of that. If you are sitting at a light that turns green, and you don't get moving forward, it reminds you that you should probably get going. If you wander across the double yellow line possibly into oncoming traffic, it warns you to stay in your lane. The list goes on and on. 

I want none of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

Most any more will ensure the engine drives down and away from the passenger compartment, cut the fuel system, the electrical system, unlock the doors, some call for recue, probably most now, and give GPS coordinates.

Cars look worse for wear after a crash now, but are so much safer than before. Crumple zones, inertia break away, and a passenger compartment that really does rival the safety cages in race cars. It is pretty amazing. 

I got to watch the evolution myself over a 38 year career. Got to see the evolution of a lot of things out there. Some better, some not so much. New car tech is amazing, some for the better some, not so much, I don't think. They supply all sorts of gizmos and toys that distract. I do like the hands free and the radio will read a text for the touch of the screen. It will even give you a list of canned responses to scroll through without taking your hands off the wheel. Maps are pretty intuitive, but my 20 year old Garmin is very good too. More expensive in the day, but the traffic and some other features on todays Auto Apps are pretty remarkable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suggest that operating an automobile, i.e., steering, accelerating, braking, will soon be a perishable skill and within a generation, a rare skill.

Just as few people knew how to properly hitch a wagon to two horses and navigate to town, operating a motor vehicle will be something past generations did and no one needs those skills anymore.

As others have lamented, I also enjoy steering, accelerating and braking, but young'uns will just consider that 'quaint.'

NB I have an air-gapped life.  Other than the gateway to my domain, no device in my home or garage is connected to the internet and never will be,  I simply refuse to allow anyone with motives that do not benefit me to control my automobile, thermostat, lights, televisions, etc.

I always cringe when I see commercials for those smart houses that one can control with that damned device grafted to their hand.

If I can control everything that makes life comfortable and worth living, with my phone, so can the local or international goblins and the Marxist government.

Yeah, I'm old.  :fred:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

8 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

The problem with too many safety features like these, is that you never actually learn HOW to drive, because the car is pretty much doing everything for you.

For MOST of the drivers that I have encountered lately THAT IS A GOOD THING

• Like 2