2nd colonoscopy

Borg warner

On Tuesday I had my 2nd colonoscopy. I had one before about 8 years ago and the prep was the worst part having to fast and then drink a gallon of something to make you have a bad case of the drizzling sh!ts. The last time they gave me some good drugs that didn't knock me out but I couldn't feel anything that was going on back there and afterwards I felt fine. The Last time I had the procedure done at a local hospital and the VA paid for it. This time I had it done at the VA hospital.

This time they gave me a gallon of stuff to drink and it didn't make me crap as bad but they said to only drink 3/4's of it at night and then get up early in the morning to drink the rest a few hours before the procedure which was at 11:00

And this time they gave me a different drug, Propofol, that knocked me out completely and I was groggy afterwards and my sister-in-law drove me home and I took a nap and woke up 3 hrs later feeling good but hungry and was craving for a pizza. But after I ate the pizza I thought I probably should've eaten something milder what with the pepperoni, the crushed red pepper and the garlic since my digestive tract was all fresh and cleaned out and they had recently surgically removed 3 polyps.

Anyway, for those who've never had it done, it's nothing to be a-scared of and growing old ain't for sissies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had one.  then some years later another one.  Since they didn't find any polyps they gave up.  Hooray for me!

Now that I'm old, the doc asked me if I wanted one........  I couldn't think of a single reason why.  Turns out after your so old, it's an elective..........:abovelol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

Turns out after your so old, it's an elective..........:abovelol:

I was once talking to a doc who specialized in geriatric patients. He explained that several of his patients had active prostate cancer, but that its progression was so slow that they would die of other causes before it metastasized, so he advised them to let it be.

• Like 3

Its been about 6 years since mine. The propofol put me right out and I awoke feeling like I had the best nap of my life. I immediately had the wife take me to a restaurant to gorge myself. Not being able to eat made me irritable as hell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfost11 said:

Its been about 6 years since mine. The propofol put me right out and I awoke feeling like I had the best nap of my life. I immediately had the wife take me to a restaurant to gorge myself. Not being able to eat made me irritable as hell. 

If you have never read this ...it's quite funny...DO NOT BE EATING OR DRINKING WHEN READING    https://www.theitem.com/stories/dave-barrys-colonoscopy-journal,309286

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DAKA said:

If you have never read this ...it's quite funny...DO NOT BE EATING OR DRINKING WHEN READING    https://www.theitem.com/stories/dave-barrys-colonoscopy-journal,309286

At least Dave got to see the procedure room. I was told to change and put my clothes in a bag. Then they had me get on a gurney in a hallway with my bag so they could get the IV installed while another nurse verified my information before taking me wherever the procedure would be done. What I didn't realize was the little Asian ninja lady hooking up the IV was actually putting my ass out, and the 57th verification from the other nurse was just a distraction for it. I remember maybe 2 questions, then I woke up farting in recovery. Just "what's you name? What's your birth date? Ok, now I need to... know when..."

*blink* 

*farts*

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

What I didn't realize was the little Asian ninja lady hooking up the IV was actually putting my ass out, and the 57th verification from the other nurse was just a distraction for it. I remember maybe 2 questions,

I've had a bunch of surgeries.  Usually, you are three-sheets, or gone, by the time they start rolling you from the pre-op nurse's station.

The last time, I wasn't.  (By their design or I've built up tolerance?) 

They rolled me into the ER.  They slid be onto the skinny arms-out table and were strapping me down.  People were rolling carts of implements up next to me and poking all kinds of stuff into me.  Then I noticed the surgeons,  gloved hands being held up, standing there next to me....

I said, "Uh.  You know I'm not asleep yet, right?"  Everyone laughed.

Then a masked head appeared from above and behind me.  It said, "That's what I'm here for!  See if you can count to......."

I woke up in post-op.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huaco Kid said:

I've had a bunch of surgeries.  Usually, you are three-sheets, or gone, by the time they start rolling you from the pre-op nurse's station.

They rolled me into the ER.  They slid be onto the skinny arms-out table and were strapping me down.  People were rolling carts of implements up next to me and poking all kinds of stuff into me.  Then I noticed the surgeons,  gloved hands being held up, standing there next to me....

Then a masked head appeared from above and behind me.  It said, "That's what I'm here for!  See if you can count to......."

I woke up in post-op.

That's sort of what I expected since that's how my endoscopy a decade earlier went. The last person to show up was giving the anesthesia.  "Have you ever had any problems from demorol? Ok, count backwards from ten." Got to 7 and saw lights going out. Woke up feeling drunk as hell. I told the person taking me home that it's a good thing they were driving. Not because I couldn't have done it. But because I would have been doing doughnuts in the intersection while waiting for the light. After the colonoscopy, I understood why Michael Jackson wanted it to sleep."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I had one a long time ago.

I was flopping around on the table, and told them again, "I want to be knocked out, right?  Ok?"

They said, "We're done."

I had an IV and they told me when they gave me the shot. The anesthesiologist said, "O.K., you're going bye-bye now".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I woke up in post-op.

Yeah, my last two they didn't start injecting the joy-juice until I was on my side on the operating table. She said "Now, you may feel a sting in your arm when I inject this" and I remember it stinging a little, then a lot, and I was just about to say something about it. Then they were calling my name to wake up. I never want to wake up. 

• Like 1

My wife has witnessed me being strapped down prior to anesthesia for other more-minor stuff, many times.  (like, especially, scopes down my throat)

She's learned to say, "He needs better straps than that.  He'll get loose."

"He can't get out of these."

"Yes.  He can."

There's some weird thing, between being totally knocked out, and almost awake,  that I really really don't like.  I never remember it.

"Did I get loose again?"

"Yes."

"Why are my feet all bruised up?"

"Don't ask."

I've had 2.  My Dr. last year said it was time to think about a 3rd one.  

the prep is really the worst part. 

First time Mrs N drove me home and I told her I could drive.  No way she said.

Came home, took a nap.  Felt fine but hungry.  Did not remember the drive home. 

Last time after Mrs N said I was a regular chatter box.  Talking to the nurses while they wheeled me out to the car.  Normally I don't talk much.

Don't remember any of that either.