Vintage Racers

Eric

Landy's 1965 Dodge Coronet Lightweight Factory experimental (A/FX) "Funny Car" I saw this car run back in 1965 more than once at at Lions  drag strip in Wilmington CA near Long beach. Lions was clsed down in 1972 to make room for shipping containers for long beach harbor. Landy was a local boy who's Automotive Research shop was not far from where I lived. Don Prudhomme was another local guy who lived real close to me and at the time was running the Greer, Black, and Prudhomme top fuel dragster. Another favorite was the Stone, Woods, and Cook A/Gas Willys.

landy's 65 coronet AFX.jpg

• Like 5

• Administrators

The racer known as the Bonneville Chrisman brothers coupe began as an abandoned Model A. Art and his brother Lloyd capture many records with this coupe. It's one of the most important automotive icons in 20th century American popular culture and multiple record-setter in 1954. More info: https://www.throttlextreme.com/1954-chrisman-bonneville-coupe/

1FB954EF-8356-419A-B605-60B22AFA391B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 1:47 PM, Eric said:

How about some vintage race cars, bikes, trucks, whatever.

6323792cac23119405c8e9ab7b8de876.jpg

Back when you could tell the brand/model without looking at a program and the drivers weren’t whiny little bitches.  Well, a few were whiny but nothing a brawl in the pits wouldn’t settle.  I always liked Cale as he drove hard, one lap ahead or down three, didn’t matter.  Of course he never shied away from telling you he was good.  LOL!

• Like 3

• Administrators
Just now, jmohme said:

Or maybe it was one of those.

I'm not sure. Cummins ran cars at Indy for a long time. They were competitive. It would be interesting to see what a turbo diesel Indy/F1 car would be capable of today, if the development had continued.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 1:43 PM, 21 shooter said:

Back when you could tell the brand/model without looking at a program and the drivers weren’t whiny little bitches.  Well, a few were whiny but nothing a brawl in the pits wouldn’t settle.  I always liked Cale as he drove hard, one lap ahead or down three, didn’t matter.  Of course he never shied away from telling you he was good.  LOL!

At one time a mantra was “Buy it on Monday race it on Sunday”. No more. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aomagrat said:

NASCAR's first two time champion (1951, 1953) Herb Thomas and his fabulous Hudson Hornet. Thomas still holds the record for highest win percentage for drivers with over 100 starts (21.05%).

1952-Hudson-Hornet-Coupe-Herb-Thomas.jpg

The Hudson had a strong supporting role in the animated movie “Cars” and justifiably so. 

• Like 2

Nicky Hayden - the last American MOTOGP champion.  A true gentleman racer.  Always a class act and never talked bad about his peers.  Ever gracious with his fans. I met him at California Speedway back in summer of 2006 or 2007 when he was there supporting his brother Tommy Hayden racing that weekend.  

He got treated like dirt by Honda even though he won a championship for them.  Then he raced for years on a non-competitive Ducati.  Nonetheless Ducati was appreciative enough to honor him with a Nicky Hayden limited edition bike   The much more famous Ducati champions  and superior riders like Casey Stoner, Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo never got a tribute bike model from Ducati.  

Hey the early 2000s was twenty years ago  ,vintage enough for me   

89DA787F-5090-4122-A3E3-1469FEA2CD3E.jpeg.ecaf8038a4b235098fb90a83f3e290a4.jpeg

DAC585D6-0E84-4A52-9F13-4D15B1DE81CD.jpeg.7fe502a65cafd53552ba2fff33c02eea.jpeg

D8A74BE0-A48B-40DA-AF94-D7DC70124FA7.thumb.jpeg.b36c8164be05e6204a7a26471292e63c.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 7:42 AM, aomagrat said:

Bobby Allison's AMC Matador. Swept the Winston Cup races at Darlington in 1975.

1975-Matador-001HR.jpg

I guess Jeep - which is currently a Chrysler brand - is all that’s left from the car company Romney the Elder assembled. 

• Like 1